How often do you get a crush?

How often do you get a crush or have romantic feelings for someone? 

when I first realized I was ace I assumed I was also heteroromantic. But I started looking back at things differently and decided I was actually pan. But now I’m wondering if I’m pan/demi. 

Someone said something to me about not having a lot of crushes and now I’m confused. What’s a normal number of crushes? Have I not had many? 

Starting all the way back in kindergarten with a bit of puppy love all the way to now, 36 years old and married for over 10 years, I think I’ve had 10 crushes. Not counting any girls I may have had a crush on and not realized it wasn’t just friendship I felt. Let me just write them down so I’m sure I didn’t miscount. 

1. Jay
  2. Jeff
  3. Tim
  4. Wade
  5. Justin
  6. Martin
  7. Josh
  8. Will
  9. David
  10. Reg

I was already starting to wonder if maybe I was Demi or greyromantic. 

Not counting verrrryyyyy brief passing things I don't remember, I'm the same age as you and I've had about 11 or 12 crushes of both sexes (this includes all three people with whom I've had serious relationships).

I don't consider myself demi or grey anything. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Ok thanks. I was starting to wonder because all the ppl I’ve had crushes on I was rather close to first, and it was often an intellectual attraction. But maybe that’s just me. 

spencexists

Not often at all. From my memory, I think I've had around 3. theres this one girl at my school and shes in choir and I'm like 99% sure shes gay (I have a lot of friends who are and I can't keep track with ones I'm not that close to) and she now has PURPLE HAIR and I really love her styles and personality and name and she might just be the reason I know I'm not fully aromantic. The other day I was in choir class and we just sit outside and chill for an hour cause we're figuring out this whole in person school thing and she was wearing  a flowey yellow and white maxi skirt and a grey tank top tucked into it and it went so well with her purple hair and gorgeous glasses that I didn't want to stop looking at her, but thats the case with a lot of her outfits. I'm good at telling if I'm aesthetically attracted to someone or romantically or both and I think its both in her case.

• Like 1

I'm in my late teens and I've had about four crushes (I don't think I get casual fleeting romantic feelings so for the most part these were all full-on, hormone-filled, head-over-heels adoration), and I'd say each of them were at least a year apart from each other (rough estimation but it's close enough). I used to identify as demiromantic, but it never felt completely right and eventually I realized it wasn't a useful label to me anymore. 

• Like 1

I'm 26 and tend to get crushes on people easily, but most of the time they go away just as quickly. I'd say I've genuinely liked 7-8 people, but have never been in love.

• Like 1

I've had tons of crushes, but have been in love with two people. I can get crushes rather frequently but they tend to be shallow and thus I wouldn't pursue them. The feelings I get after knowing someone and then falling for them are the ones I take seriously.

• Like 2

I've been "in love" twice in my life (I'm in my late 20s, to put this in perspective) and have had a few other crushes here and there that didn't go anywhere for various reasons. On average, I catch the feels about once every few years. It used to be about once every 1-2 years but the frequency has gone down over time.

In my experience, people who get crushes once a year or more often generally consider themselves romantics (as in, not demiromantic and not greyromantic). Obviously this varies from person to person, but this is why I identify as demi/greyromantic.

To further put this into perspective, last time I was in a relationship was three years ago, and I haven't had any other significant attachments since then.

Since I’ve been married for over 10 years and haven’t had any crushes since him, maybe that why my number is so low. 

Not that often but I do have a few and I  was not able to articulate my feelings idk why may be I was not that serious just wanted to admire them.

Edited by Ana_23

not a lot, but that's probably bc im a demiromantic. almost all my crushes were on people who ive emotionally connected with

• Like 2

I get spontaneous crushes on around 1% of the people I meet, but only have a "justifiable" one (actually know them and we're at least somewhat friends) on one a year. I'm a junior in high school though, so take of that what you will!

• Like 1

It's been nearly two decades. Hated every second of it. Never again if I can help it. Absolutely vile and disgusting.

• Like 2

I don't really know why, but now I don't really get crushes...could be because it's a pandemic and I don't' see people, but also I can't think of when I had an actual crush since before sophomore year of uni. I used to list them out in my diaries. Their names and who I liked in what order...ha ha  ha.

• Like 1

I'm 20 and I would say I've had a fair amount of crushes for my age. Almost all of them being people I was really close friends with at that time in my life, that being 8 people. I also had the odd shorter lived crush which was more just me wanting to be friends with them. It has been roughly 8 months since I've had a crush now though and it's kinda weird because from 11-19, I pretty much always had a crush on someone.

MaryInTheMists

I'm in my 30's, and I've had three definite crushes in my life, plus possibly one or two more that I didn't recognize as crushes at the time because I thought I was straight, so I would say crushes are pretty rare for me. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, MaryInTheMists said:

I'm in my 30's, and I've had three definite crushes in my life, plus possibly one or two more that I didn't recognize as crushes at the time because I thought I was straight, so I would say crushes are pretty rare for me. 

Yeah that sounds pretty rare. I I may have had 2 crushes on girls that I didn’t realize at the time. 

my main reason for wondering if I was demiromantic is because my main crushes, and the one time I’ve been in love, with my husband, were all with close friends. Maybe I’m demiromantic, maybe not. But I still like to think these things through. 

As of recently not in many many years, but in total ever I’d say 5 but I’d say I dated at least 3 three of them so those ones probably don’t count 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 22. I've had about 7 legitimate crushes, 4 of whom I ended up dating (and one of whom I'd like to now, haha). I'm a big hopeless romantic though, so when I do crush I crush hard and my crushes can last a really long time. 

im kind of trying to figure this out as well, i thought all the ones i had were crushes but then i got an ACTUAL crush that i felt was more,

so i think the others were squishes and this was my only crush or maybe this is me in love and the others are crushes idk

either way, one of them has a higher degree than the others so your not alone in trying to figure this out.

the other ones i've had lasted maybe a year but the bgger one has been going on for over 2 years so it varies

Edited by Lee C

I'm 27 and not ace or aro, and I think I can count about 15 that I can actually remember, including celebrities/fictional characters, and 3 of the people I've dated. So it doesn't really happen often for me! 

I'm still unsure if I'm aro.. I'm 100% sure on aro-spec but where on the spectrum I am..pheew.
I always thought I experienced crushes but after reflecting a lot of them I came to the conclusion that none of them were crushes. Most of them were squishes. I had a relationship with someone when I was 14 and I thought it was a crush. In reality it was a squish combined with aesthetic attraction. My second relationship, the longest and so far last one, was actually not even close to a crush. I'm also having ADHD and I just hyperfixated on that particular person and liked them platonically.  After 1,5 years everything was over and man, I was so happy and relieved after I broke up with him. This might sounds mean or something but the relationship was super toxic from the beginning and breaking up felt as if I had gotten my freedom back.

So long story short: Zero crushes, only some squishes and a weird situation,lol.

Hmmm. I take quite a long time before developing a crush on someone. I only actively remember like five in my entire life or so. But I'm in my early twenties and I've not taken much part in any activities or so. I live in a very rural area and grew up poor. There weren't many opportunities for me to meet many people, so I'm not sure if there could have been more.

I get fictoromantic crushes, but that's it.

I basically have faked crushes on real people lol

4 hours ago, A User said:

I basically have faked crushes on real people lol

You mean you’ve told others you have a crush on them when it’s not true? I’ve been on the receiving end of that sort of thing a few times, it’s quite damaging...

8 minutes ago, Autumn Twilight said:

You mean you’ve told others you have a crush on them when it’s not true? I’ve been on the receiving end of that sort of thing a few times, it’s quite damaging...

No, I mean I told anyone who asked (who isn't the "crush") that [randomly picked person who I pretend is my crush] is my crush. I don't actually tell them tho......

1 minute ago, A User said:

No, I mean I told anyone who asked (who isn't the "crush") that [randomly picked person who I pretend is my crush] is my crush. I don't actually tell them tho......

Oh I think I see now. Just trying to avoid potential flak from peers.

1 minute ago, Autumn Twilight said:

Just trying to avoid potential flak from peers.

Yeah

I actually have been shipped with other boys in my school, despite it being as clear as day that there are no lovey-dovey feelings

1 minute ago, A User said:

Yeah

I actually have been shipped with other boys in my school, despite it being as clear as day that there are no lovey-dovey feelings

That would be irritating all right.