Psych2Go - Misconceptions about Asexuality

weird elf

Probably not exactly news to anyone on here ...

everywhere and nowhere

She makes some good points, but skims over them so quickly that some become actively misleading.

1. Causes for asexuality - it's true that in many cases no reason can be pinpointed and the only option is simply to accept that it just is so. But some people can experience their asexuality as related to an identifiable fact in their lives - and still choose to identify as asexual and insist that even if their orientation could be changed by treating the underlying issue, they wouldn't want to change it! Fortunately, the author at least doesn't invalidate "non-inborn asexuals", perhaps because she doesn't even have time for it. ;)

2. Pretty much the only situation in which asexual-spectrum people can have "a lot of sexual attraction" is if they are demisexual and indeed experience a lot of attraction for one single person and none for everybody else. I don't reject the notion of asexual spectrum, but if someone tries to open this Pandora's box, they should be prepared to explain it more carefully, particularly to explain in what ways is demisexuality not the same as, for example, "not being into casual sex" - instead of, like the author, fully omitting this particular kind of orientation!

3. I also don't fully agree with the asexuality vs. celibacy vs. abstinence explanation, although I admit that it's semantically tricky because "celibacy" and "sexual abstinence" have a lot of conflicting definitions - some associate "celibacy" only with clerical celibacy, some believe that "celibacy" necessarily implies feeling sexual desire and choosing to resist it, some consider "celibacy" to only refer to marriage and not sex... I prefer the simplified "colloquial" definition: "celibacy" in the "colloquial" sense means not having sex for any reason. So an asexual who is in a relationship with an allosexual person, is sex-favourable and has sex for their sake, is asexual, but not celibate, while people such as myself are both asexual and celibate.

Forest Spirit

Love Psych2Go💜 think the video gives a good overview considering that it's only 6 minutes long

(the flag though😅 did anyone notice how some of their templates have the stripes in a different order? Not that it's a bad thing, just nitpicking)

1 hour ago, Quasar.w said:

(the flag though😅 did anyone notice how some of their templates have the stripes in a different order? Not that it's a bad thing, just nitpicking)

YES what happened there 😆

Forest Spirit
59 minutes ago, weird elf said:

YES what happened there 😆

Maybe someone thought it goes from dark to light colours🤔

DarkStormyKnight

How did they get the flag so wrong?? In different ways?? Just a google search would have fixed it.

Archived