Baby Fever Poll

AVEN's census to baby fever  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a baby fever that flares up from time to time?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Other
  2. 2. If you do have baby fever, is it trigger by a sight of a mother/father taking care of his/her young?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Other
    • Inapplicable
  3. 3. If you do have baby fever: What is your gender?

• Male
    • Female
    • Between Male/Female
    • Bigender
    • Agender
    • Other
    • Inapplicable

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, R_1 said:

I consider you lucky then. It can be a irritable feeling. It's like going on your own business, and then that feeling is there.

Yeah, I can understand that. I know the general experience of feelings just kind of popping up and hitting you.

a little annihilation

I have spent more than enough time around babies and honestly cannot even fathom why anyone would ever want one or have one on purpose.

I get the experience of my nieces and nephews. I somewhat enjoy seeing them become living people.. but I can't imagine spending days on days with them. My sister is nuts for having 4 kids. I always knew I never wanted kids... to be around them... to be responsible for them... I have a hard enough time taking care of myself, yikes. No one should trust me with kids.

Nope, they trigger a near-allergic reaction involving a sudden urge to be a long way away 

• Like 4

I get that desire every now and then. In fact it happened a couple of days ago. But it's very rare for me. Usually I'm more rational and realize that children are gross, noisy, privacy invading, and a big handful. I just sometimes wish I could give my parents a grandchild.

On 4/8/2021 at 10:19 AM, R_1 said:

This is a poll to discuss whether you have baby fever from time to time. Basically, wanting to be a father/mother/caretaker or having fantasies of being one with paternal/maternal/x-ternal bonding. It's distinct from wanting to reproduce though it's closely related.

I have baby fever when I hear baby crying, I want to hold them and make them feel better.

Huh, I guess I'm the only person in this thread who likes the idea of kids and wants to work towards that someday.

"Baby" fever: No

"A child over the age of five that isn't mine biologically but who I'm sometimes responsible for" fever: Yeah, occasionally

Idk, I'm just not into the super little ones. I like playing with other people's babies, but when it comes to me actually being responsible for kids, I'd prefer them to be a little older.

To answer your question: Yes, sometimes seeing parents having fun with their kiddos triggers those feelings of wanting a non-infant kid for me, especially when it's parents engaging in activities that look like fun, but actually wouldn't be much fun/might seem kinda weird if you're a childless adult doing it by yourself (like building a pillow fort in the living room, etc.)

• Like 2

I knew even when I was still a kid that I didn’t really want kids.  I am 54 now and , I would have very quick fleeting thoughts, but I never really wanted them at the end of the day.  I would have been a good mother as far as them being cared for and their needs met, but I would have been an unhappy mom and that would have not been good for any children that I would have had.

Heh, sometimes I am curious what kind of mother I would be, and what kind of people my offspring would become after being raised by me.

No. Eww, tiny humans.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Homer said:

No. Eww, tiny humans.

Given how tall you are that would be more or less all of us.

• Like 3

I have protective instincts that kick in sometimes, but their object is just as likely to be a person my own age or an animal as a baby/child.  The idea of having biological kids has never really appealed to me, either.

I have nothing against babies, but I just can't see myself as being a very good parent, for a variety of reasons.  Having a noise sensitivity doesn't mix well with caring for an infant long-term.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Karst said:

I have protective instincts that kick in sometimes

Yeah, I have that. And if I was a parent, I'd be fiercely protective of my kid(s), no doubt about it. But that's just a general instinct when I care about someone. When my gran was still alive, I was that way with her. I remember several times when she was in hospital, standing up for her when I thought nurses and/or doctors weren't handling the situation right. And as I've told my partner a handful of times, if anyone fucks with him somehow, I will absolutely eviscerate them. 😈

I'm kinda bad at standing up for myself, though...

• Like 2
Blue eyes white dragon
On 4/9/2021 at 11:26 PM, Barbio said:

"Baby" fever: No

"A child over the age of five that isn't mine biologically but who I'm sometimes responsible for" fever: Yeah, occasionally

Yeah that's how I am

• Like 2

I have never had the slightest wish to be a parent.  I work with children as I am a teacher, and as I teach an instrument I work with all ages.  I like children and like working with them, but not in a maternal or sentimental way.  

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
On 4/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, crazy ace said:

I occasionally would love to raise a child, but I would make a terrible parent, all things considered.

Same here.

• Like 1
The_spellbook_in_the_attic

I guess I get baby fever, if it's the want to take care of a tiny human and raise them and help them grow and be an awesome parent and make sure not to do any of the mistakes that my parents did (or do), then yes, I get baby fever. I would be fine with taking care of an infant until they grow up, though taking care of a 1 or 2 year old would be a little easier than an infant, but I don't want to actually have a baby, so I'm probably going to adopt a child... I guess that's baby fever?

• Like 1
fooledbysecrecy

i've never had this.

(although sometimes i come across fictional characters who awaken my parental instincts lmao)

Me, wanting to have a biological child, whilst also not wanting to have sex.

Then there's IVF right?

**N o.**

**B i r t h   i s   a   t h i n g.**

S H i T-

Also that's lowkey hella expensive.

Could adopt a child, but even then, I feel like that's just a whole process my little socially anxious ass would suffer through. Plus, even having a child itself is expensive.

Might just have to get a pet. (but oh lord, pets are expensive af too)

• 11 months later...
WobblyWallaby

I love babies. I love kids. Not every day all day long. I'd rather not deal with vomit and other unknown substances on me. I'm happy not to deal with tantrums. I'll look at and coo at your baby and hand it right back to you. That's your adorable problem.

• Like 1

I love children, but when I learned where babies come from the info also included that I would never be able to have any myself, so I have had time to get used to the thought.

Luckily my regret was and is not too strong. But to this day I am happy dealing with children 😊 and it is great when someone lets me hold her baby.

Ahh, those little hands and feet - so cute!! 🙂

Spoiler

I may be entertained by the idea of making babies, but I'm not so entertained by the idea of raising them or adding to the surplus population, as Scrooge would say.

Ironically, the only people who've bothered me about being childless (directly, or indirectly) also did a pretty fine job trying to make me feel not worthy enough to have children, or anything. So yeah, nobody actually wants me to have kids anyway. 😎

Blueberry Pie

I’ve thought about having a kid someday… but I would be adopting them, I think, and it would be a very long ways from now. And it would probably be an older kid that is already out of or leaving the toddler stage. And I’d probably want a romantic partner to raise the kid with. It’s an interesting idea to pass down my genes, but having biological kids would mean having sex and getting pregnant, which I’m not very interested in. (Though I guess artificially inserting sperm into one’s body is an option.) It would be fun to be an aunt, but I don’t see my only sibling having kids. 

• 4 weeks later...

@R_1

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator