Baby Fever Poll

AVEN's census to baby fever  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a baby fever that flares up from time to time?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Other
  2. 2. If you do have baby fever, is it trigger by a sight of a mother/father taking care of his/her young?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Other
    • Inapplicable
  3. 3. If you do have baby fever: What is your gender?

• Male
    • Female
    • Between Male/Female
    • Bigender
    • Agender
    • Other
    • Inapplicable

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a poll to discuss whether you have baby fever from time to time. Basically, wanting to be a father/mother/caretaker or having fantasies of being one with paternal/maternal/x-ternal bonding. It's distinct from wanting to reproduce though it's closely related.

• Like 1

I definitely have some sort of baby fever that occasionally flares up, but seeing a real baby gets rid of any desire I have to have one. I have no actual desire to have my own kids, but for some reason it's a nice fantasy. 

• Like 2

I occasionally would love to raise a child, but I would make a terrible parent, all things considered.

• Like 3
Forest Spirit

(and then there's me thinking this is an illness and you asking if we had it as a baby....)

Edit: no I never get that. Babies can be cute and I have two nephews which I was around as a 13/14yo when they were babies (as they lived upstairs) but I've never experienced any desire for being a mother myself

• Like 3

I used to, in my early twenties I would think about how I'd be with my own children. As I got older the thoughts just faded away. Also, actually seeing real life children made the thoughts disappear fast if they ever started. 😆

• Like 1

I've just never wanted kids. I don't have anything against them or anything, it's just that having them wouldn't be right for me. I have to focus on other things and taking better care of myself.

Nope, never wanted kids, never fantasized about being a parent, it's simply never appealed to me. Being an aunt is enough for whatever atrophied maternal instincts that may hide within my shriveled black heart.

Anthracite_Impreza

I have absolutely no paternal instinct at all, unless you count snail broodiness. Yes, let's count snail broodiness, I get that.

• Like 2

Well... The sight of a parent with baby or toddler makes me quite angry to be honest... ... ...

7 minutes ago, theV0ID said:

Being an aunt is enough for whatever atrophied maternal instincts that may hide within my shriveled black heart.

I'm an aunt too, and same. There is no greater relief than being able to hand a baby back once it starts to fuss.

I don't in any way actively dislike children, but I never quite "got" them even when I was a child myself. I always got on best with people who were older than me, and that's still true today. The prospect of parenthood simply never crosses my mind at all.

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

I don't recall having ever felt any desire to have children. I decided that I don't want it at the age of five and have never changed my mind.

However, I do have trace amounts of maternal instinct and it becomes activated at the sight of babies of another species: tigers. :P Also lions, snow leopards... Recently I'm observing on YouTube some Russian guy who has tiger cubs - Russia has, as far as I know, pretty much no regulations on private keeping of wild animals and so that guy has tigers and two weeks ago cubs were born. It's a great privilege to be able to observe all the stages of a tiger's development. Last week they opened theit eyes, now I'm waiting for an important stage in a cub's social life: getting named! :DHowever, that still doesn't induce a "baby fever" or even "cub fever" :lol: in me. I have been dreaming all my life of petting a tiger cub (I'm a tigermaniac since the age of two), but I still wouldn't want to actually take care of a tiger cub. For many reasons: allergy, responsibility, aversion to body fluids (including just saliva)...

Compared to that, I'm quite indifferent to human babies. I don't dislike children, I'm rather indifferent to them and may enjoy playing with an older child because of the childish aspect of myself, but I think that in terms of cuteness, little humans just don't compare with little tigers. ;) Humans become cute when they are about... four, five years old? Tiger cubs are heart-melting as soon as they dry up after birth. ;) (I also consider cubs much more beautiful than adult tigers.) I'm also rather pregnancy-repulsed.

I've never felt baby fever or any desire to have children of my own. I'd love to be an aunt one day, though. :) 

• Like 1
Blue eyes white dragon

It's more of me wanting to take care of hurting kids. I do get "baby fever" from time to time but for kids older than three older kids you could say. It gets satisfied when I help the kids in my area or when I babysit

• Like 2
TormentDubz

Kids are too much work, volunteering to supervise/spend time with older (Elementary age) children is nice though

Nah. Closest I've got is wondering if I'll regret not having them, but pregnancy weirds/grosses me out, I have way too many life struggles to add a child to the mix, it would be inadvisable from a medical standpoint, I'm reaching the age where I consider myself too old to start having kids anyway, my partner is currently on the other side of an ocean and... yeah, not happening. So I'm glad I don't get 'baby fever'.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CBC said:

So I'm glad I don't get 'baby fever'.

I consider you lucky then. It can be a irritable feeling. It's like going on your own business, and then that feeling is there.

• Like 1

Yes. It’s one of the many things I sometimes daydream about but don’t plan on actually doing.

Not baby so much, but I sometimes like the idea of a family setting with slightly older kids. Babies are kind of meh. (Possibly because I helped raise my goddaughter years ago so it's kind of a been-there-done-that thing maybe?)

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere
2 hours ago, fairyofsuburbia said:

I've never felt baby fever or any desire to have children of my own. I'd love to be an aunt one day, though. :) 

I don't have any siblings, so I won't be an aunt in the strict meaning of this word. However, I've always called my mom's cousin "aunt Liz" and my father's cousin "aunt Dorothy", and I have relatives of this degree. In fact, my cousin Jim has already introduced me to his little son as "aunt Eve". :)

• Like 2
Lord Jade Cross

Nope. And should it ever arise, I need only to look in the mirror to be reminded where it would end up

Absolutely not.

Kernel.Panic

I occasionally play a scenario in my mind where I'm a father, mentoring a young human and watching him carve his own path;. but I play many different scenarios which belong to the fantasy realm only, and I feel that me being a parent is one of those.

I'm just too messed up for that sort of responsibility.

2 minutes ago, Bradford said:

I occasionally play a scenario in my mind where I'm a father, mentoring a young human and watching him carve his own path;. but I play many different scenarios which belong to the fantasy realm only, and I feel that me being a parent is one of those.

I'm just too messed up for that sort of responsibility.

I feel ya!

I dunno if i would call it baby fever but yeah, a part of me wants kids. However, this is the same part that wants to climb Mt Everest or compete in the Tour de France. An idea of something that I am not really willing to put the effort into. To quote Niles Crane, I want a baby, I just don't want one enough.

• Like 1

For me it’s if I had children more than wanting children, like if I had I children I would be very doting and make my partner change duper’s. I’d probably make a great house husband. But then I remember that I’m selfish and why would I want to go against the status quo.

• Like 1
Grumpy Alien

I assume this is aimed at AVENites who either don’t actually want kids or not anytime soon?

Every once in a rare while I think having a family would be nice, but only with older kids and only every once in a rare while. I'll probably just take to being the cool uncle when my brother's kids are older.