How do you know if you are aro?

lost-the-key

I love my boyfriend, but it isn’t terribly romantic.  I like flowers, but I don’t get it.  Chocolate is nice, I appreciate the thought.   I love spending time with him, that’s what matters to me.  I don’t think I am aro, I am just asking, because it feels like every relationship I am in turns into hanging out as friends with an I love you here and there, sometimes a little more, sometimes it’s an I like you.  

Edited by lost-the-key
TormentDubz

Sounds like it could be a qpr

Janus DarkFox

Moved to Romantic and Aromantic Orientations

Janus DarkFox

Cover Welcome Lounge, Tea and Sympathy/(h)AVEN, Weekends Asexual Relationships, Current Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Musings and Rantings & Open Mic Moderator

Padparadscha

Honestly, I'm a (mostly) questioning aro myself, purely because the one experimental relationship I was in felt exactly like that, and also because that's how they seem to be in my head. I would always question, "What would change if we went from being friends, to romantic partners?". My answer, more often than not was, "More of what we're already doing? And like.. maybe some hand holding?". When I'm interested in someone, it doesn't usually mean I want to kiss them or anything like that. I have a friend who I think is really cool, and I've suspected they may have a crush on me, but I've decided; yes, I really like being with them, but I have no interest in physical contact. It would be nice to go get ice cream on the weekend or something cute like that, but it's just because I find them a cool person, with no other reason (I believe this is called a squish). I think this is also just due to my lack of understanding of what "romance" really is, so I'd say I'm mostly just holding off on romantic relationships altogether until I am a bit older. But I've also never experienced a romantic crush of any kind, so that's the other reason I go with that label.

That's just a bit of a rant of how I feel, maybe this could help you if anything here sounds familiar?

MCTlibrarian

I mean, that could be aromanticism, but from what I've been hearing from my allo friends - that might just be the way every relationship goes sooner or later?

From what I'm told, the whole butterflies stuff is not a constant thing, more like a phenomenon for the first few months and then that retreats in favor of being intimately comfortable around each other and only comes back up occasionally.

Edited by MCTlibrarian