Pronoun symbols

verily-forsooth-egads

verily-forsooth-egads

I was thinking it could be cool if there were a subtle way to let people know your pronouns without necessarily outing yourself to everyone. For instance, a symbol in your Zoom name could tell those who know the meaning of the symbols to refer to you as they/them, without drawing attention from those who might be less sympathetic.

I was thinking it would be nice to have one for she/her, one for he/him, one for they/them, one for any, and one for "please ask", but if you can think of a better way then I'm all ears.

As for the symbol itself, my first idea was a triangle conveying information by its orientation (up/down for standard binary pronouns, left/right for androgynous ones, cockeyed for other). A pro of this is that if you wore it as a pin, you'd only need one type—a con is that it might be hard to remember, and I don't think there's a cockeyed triangle in Unicode.

Another idea could be distinct shapes for each, like a square, triangle, circle, etc.

Fortunately if it catches on, it doesn't have to spread far and wide to be useful—just one person recognizing the symbol can lead by example. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

That's pretty cool. Some people use he/they, she/they, he/she etc though, so we'd need more symbols than that.

verily-forsooth-egads
6 hours ago, Rynn said:

That's pretty cool. Some people use he/they, she/they, he/she etc though, so we'd need more symbols than that.

Just use two symbols for those I think.

Archived