can you be non-binary without dysphoria?

flatulence

so recently ive been thinking about how maybe im not actually a guy. i feel like they/them pronouns and a gender neutral name would make me feel more comfortable. while i am uncomfortable being referred to as a boy, im not uncomfortable with my body. so im kind of wondering if you can actually even be non-binary without physical dysphoria.. should i just shut up and suck up my discomfort? like, would it be disrespectful to people with dysphoria to identify as non-binary without it? and also, maybe im just too young to know. im 16 soon, should i just wait until im 18 or something, and think about this then? ugh, i dont really know, sorry this whole post is kind of dumb. i guess i just want to know if identifying as non-binary would be disrespectful to other non-binary people.

No, you do not need to experience dysphoria to identify as non-binary. It is also 100% okay to be wrong about your gender or not decide it right away. You are not too young to explore the concept of gender if you want to but you also do not HAVE to now if it isn't something you're comfortable with. It's not dumb, everyone goes through periods where they are unsure of themselves or of the information they have. It's good to ask questions. Gender is deeply personal, though, and no one else can tell you (for sure) what you are and how you should identify. That's up to you. I hope that you can figure out what makes you comfortable and feel good. And if that changes? That's okay too. 

I will speak from experience as a transman without having gender dysphoria. I feel euphoria being seen and presented as a man but I don't hate how my body looks and it doesn't make me feel entirely uncomfortable (except my big boobs lol). You can be trans/enby because all that matters is that we feel euphoria and comfortable not being cis. Being trans/enby by definition is a person who identifies as something else than their assigned gender at birth (cis) so we are entirely valid. There will always be people who say we aren't real trans/enby but ignore them, they're not educated.

Possum.Lover

As long as there is a form of gender incongruence (Knowing you aren’t your gender at birth genuinely) then yes!

Physical dysphoria is just one way gender dysphoria can manifest. For example feeling uncomfortable when someone refers to you as a boy could be considered social dysphoria. Like someone already said, experiencing gender incongruence is really the only requirement. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Dysphoria isn't required to ID as nonbinary; it's just something a lot of people experience. If you want to change your pronouns and/or your name, go for it! I promise you it's not disrespectful. A lot of people question and experiment with their gender; that's actually pretty normal within the community, lol. But you're never too young (or too old) to figure out what will make you most comfortable. Maybe you could try changing your name and pronouns online and see how it feels.

Janus the Fox

I used to think there wasn’t any Gender Dysphoria for me but learned later that Dysphoria isn’t defined the same way that I though it was.  There’s a wide scope of definition and I was diagnosed as Gender Dysphoria anyway, as it’s a requirement to Gender Therapy and HRT here, especially as my psych needed to discern if it isn’t some delusion or other thought disorder previously diagnosed.

Archived