Unusual pregnancies?

M51

Were there any unusual circumstances to your mother's pregnancy with you? Hormones, etc?  

1. 1.

• No, my mother's pregnancy was totally normal.
    • Yes, there was an unusual circumstance (please explain)
    • I don't know if there were unusual circumstances or not.

This poll is closed to new votes

from the time my mom started labor till the time i was fully born was less than 40 minutes, which for all i know may be some bizarre record. she also reported that i wasn't any more trouble than a bad bowel movement, which means i'm one of a very small number of 27 year olds in 1st world countries to have been born at home.

Other than being born 3 1/2 weeks early, I don't think there were any complications with my birth, as in specifically my birth. My mom had miscarried twice before having me, but I don't think that had much if at all to do with me as far as development is concerned.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have an answer you were kinda looking for:

When my mom had me, I seemed fine (other than the fact that the doctors thought I was jaundiced-- but I wasn't, I'm just naturally yellow). Anyhow, about a week or two after my birth, I started "menstruating". My mom took me to the doctor about it.

Apparently, this is rare, but it happens--> her hormones passed into me very strongly and I had a false menstrual cycle. It went away after a week...but I truly started when I was 10 (probably as a result of this. The current age for "first menstrual cycle" has recently dropped, but it was still expected at 12-14 when I was 10.)

Seien Hananosei

Hm... Well, both my little sister and I were born early. I'm asexual, and she thinks she might be, too.

from the time my mom started labor till the time i was fully born was less than 40 minutes, which for all i know may be some bizarre record. she also reported that i wasn't any more trouble than a bad bowel movement

This is kind of interesting - same thing for me! Mum has told me about when I was born a number of times, how she came to the hospital and the nurse said there'd be a baby before she finished her shift, which was... well, I don't quite know when they arrived at the hospital, but it wasn't that far away... Mum, having previously squeezed out two babies, said "yeah right" as she knew it would take hoooours. It didn't. "All done!" - "nuh-uh, no way, you're having a laugh" - "we're not, she's right here!"

To this day, she claims this was the first and only time I've ever been in a rush. :roll:

Genetically_Dead

I was suppose to be a boy and my grandmother never forgave me for being female. That's another story. With what I am told it was a normal birth at 11:58 a.m. In time for lunch as the doctor said. I guess my mother was upset and desired a boy too as she was neglectful of me at first and my eldest brother had to see to me. After awhile mom decided she was happy with me and cared for me.

I lacked the infant/mother bonding and have never been a lovable, affectionate person. I dislike being touched. I hug my parents now but it took years before I would allow that interaction.

Aside from the fact that the doctors told my mom I would be mentally retarded (and said it in a way that suggested she get an abortion--twice), my mom's pregnancy with me was normal.

I was suppose to be a boy and my grandmother never forgave me for being female. That's another story. With what I am told it was a normal birth at 11:58 a.m. In time for lunch as the doctor said. I guess my mother was upset and desired a boy too as she was neglectful of me at first and my eldest brother had to see to me. After awhile mom decided she was happy with me and cared for me.

I lacked the infant/mother bonding and have never been a lovable, affectionate person. I dislike being touched. I hug my parents now but it took years before I would allow that interaction.

Sometimes the hormones that a new mother goes through can make her do some crazy stuff. My friend's mom said that after she had him, she was having mental pictures of throwing him off a balcony because of the hormone fluxes. I was like :shock: um...glad you didn't...

• 3 months later...

When my Mum went to get her ultrasound with me they told her and my Dad that there was two possibilities - either I had spina bifida, or I was twins. We never did find out which, but since I didn't have spina bifida and don't have a twin, we're assuming that I did have a twin who didn't make it. That or the doctors screwed up with the ultrasound.

I also attempted to be a breach birth. They turned me around, but I tried it.

I was a c-section because the umbilical cord was implanted in the wrong place. Because of this, my mom was on bed rest for a couple months and I was born as early as possible without being considered premature. And the doctor must not have wanted to come in on the weekend, so they waited until Monday!

I also know that my mom has had at least 2 miscarriages, one or two before me and one after. I don't know the timing involved though.

I have absolutely no clue if my mom had any complications. She never talked about it. Growing up I was taught that personal stuff like that is NEVER asked/talked about. The only thing I know about my birth is that my father was out hunting instead.

• 5 months later...

I don't know how unsual this is, but my mother kept getting her period until her fifth month of being pregnant and I was born two weeks late, but everyone (doctors included) thought I was two weeks early.

My mother likes to tell pregnant women that they aren't to come to her for pregnancy horror stories. Both my brother and I were normal, easy pregnancies, with normal relatively fast deliveries.

Only thing weird was that she craved fake-grape flavours. Like grape lollis and sodas.

• 6 months later...

I put unusual, the actual pregnancy was normal but right at the end, I was nearly 2 weeks post-dates and I ended up being in foetal distress. I was quite bradycardic with a heart rate of 60 as I was hypoxic and probably in primary apnoea. The obstetricians told my parents that i only had about 20 minutes left to live. I was born by emergency C-section. Prior to that the doctors were running down the corridor with my Mum to take her to theatre, it was pretty close. I think I could not progress due to some malalignment of the pelvis or something. I forget what this i called.

My parents told me that after I was born, the doctors at the hospital had to keep me for a couple of days because they thought I had an irregular heartbeat and had to double check. Not too sure what it was

I was born 3 or 4 weeks early, but I was a pretty healthy size and weight, so I don't know that it was a real problem. Other than that, I think "my" pregnancy was pretty normal.

I think I might have had a few issues because I was a little premature, but those went away.

Nothing during the actually pregnancy I guess... But everyone at that time did unusual things.

- My dad betting to himself that I'd be born on a certain day different than what the doctors said (he was off by one day too).

- My mom drove herself to the hospital at 5:30 AM.

- Oh I remember now! I was LITERALLY born Lazy and Stubborn! Seriously - I didn't wanna come out, the doctors literally had to stick Tong-like things in my mother in order to pull me out. My mom says "I should have known from that day that your were gonna be a lazy-ass."

- When they pulled me out - they pulled me out in a very dangerous way - I can't remember how though.

I totally refused to born, despite the fact my mother was in Labor and I was bound to come out eventually - I did not wanna leave the warm place.

Damn, I was pretty smart for someone who technically hadn't been born yet -- That certainly explains a few things...

silentdreamer

Uhh I'm not sure if it's unusual or not, but I was born 2 months premature and had to spend some time in the hospital in a incubator before I could go home. I forget the amount of time though.

I was also told that I rolled out of the incubator and almost fell on the floor, but mom caught me. She was trying to tell the nurse that I was about to fall, but she wouldn't listen :mellow: Philly hospitals still suck like that these days too. Haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a c-section baby and delivered 2 months early because my mom had toxemia.

• 1 month later...

I was a month early and I was induced. I'd have been a huge baby if I'd gone the distance. Maybe my Mum was given oxytocin, and maybe it damaged my oxytocin receptors. I don't know. I'd have to ask her to ask her doctor to confirm what induction drugs she was given.

Archived