Illustrated book

Iagi

Hello everyone,

I'm a student majoring in Illustration. This year I have to do a Final Project and I want to do an illustrated book about the asexual experience. It would be like a picture book aimed to teens and young adults.

For this I would need some help from whoever wants to participate to post a sentence or a short text (maximum 5 lines) telling some story or anecdote about their experience being in the asexual spectrum/ their relationship with others (friends, family, partners)/ relationship with society or media/ etc (no need to do all of 3) . Your posts will be illustrated by me and made into a published book! So it could be some akward or funny situations to share with the world.

If anyone knows other sites where users could participate leave a comment under this post.

It can be anonymous I will just credit the forum and the page ^^

I hope you like the idea. 

P.S.: I apologize for any mistake, I'm a spanish speaking person. If anything is unclear you can tell me. I also posted this on the spanish forum of AVEN, but so far I haven't got any reply yet.

Thank you in advance 😃

Milque Toast

What a lovely idea! I can give you a couple brief lines of what it was like for me realising I was asexual:

I always assumed that those around me were just pretending to have an interest in sex, to seem adult.

It wasn't until everyone around me were pairing together did I realise I was different. 

There was a time when I thought something was wrong with me.

Until I discovered AVEN through the internet, and found so many others just like myself!

You can paraphrase, or use just one line, if you wish. I'm just happy to participate and would love to see your book when it is published! ❤️ 

Thank you for coming here to ask us!

Oberon Jasper

I thought everyone felt this way... that sex was more something expected than truly desired, but then my friend was talking about their "first time" and how much they enjoyed it and then I knew.... I knew that would never be me and that made me different. But different is rarely bad.

When friends of mine found their significant others, I didn't think much of it.

Then they broke up and found new sigificant others merely weeks later

Over an over again, and I began to wonder what was wrong with me.

Then I discovered Asexuality. Think it was on YouTube first, then Instagram, then AVEN.

VeryAsexyIndeed

I thought the normal age of loosing your virginity was in your thirties or late twenties for the sake of having kids. I thought sexual attraction was a lie and some kind of joke that I didn’t get. I thought words like sexy and hot only was used in a sarcastic way, because that’s how I used them. I thought sex was odd and a waste of time because why would you want to be naked with someone else when you can have cake instead?? 

Well, this is more aro so idk but I’ll say it anyways. Whenever I liked someone in the past I liked to sit around and imagine different scenarios where I confessed my feelings for them. How and what I would say, how I would act etc. but also how I could reject them in the nicest way possible if they ever liked me back. You see, I wasn’t scared of rejection, that’s not what was bothering me. I was scared of reciprocation, that they would like me back and that I’d have to date them lol

3 hours ago, Iagi said:

post a sentence or a short text (maximum 5 lines) telling some story or anecdote about their experience being in the asexual spectrum.

Wait, so people actually use hot and sexy in a literal way? Huh....

a little annihilation

If people actually look at someone and go "I wanna have sex with them" 

I'm a little concerned that seems kind of weird not gonna lie

Hi!
You mean like a picture book? Or more like a BD / comic kind of thing? Aimed at which public (teens? Adults?)? I'm guessing it's 'one 'story' / 'one page' so how many stories do you need? Your ad is a bit vague which might be why you had trouble getting answers and you are likely to mainly get vague generalities about being ace more than short stories / experiences thing. Can it include dialogue? Do you need short stories 'FML style' (not for the comical aspect, about the format ^^) or do you want it to be like a collection of 'sayings'/'thoughts' about asexuality? It might be better to think of different thematics you can articulate the stories about so the 'book' has some kind of unity to it (it could be about life stages as an ace, from when people first suspected they are ace, to being ace when most people get their 'sexual milestones', to living your life as an adult as an ace', to 'being an older asexual'... there are some topics here dedicated to the older members where you could ask ; or structured around relationships  relationship with themselves, with their family, with their friends, with their spouse / boy/girlfriend). Giving themes will also help people to come up with ideas because when it's too vague, it's hard for a lot of people to even dare respond or they will just tell you basically the same thing over and over in a different way (probably 'I'm not having sex, I never wanted to , I don't understand why other people do') which won't make a great illustration material.

... I'm just curious, but can you post one of your drawings? Seeing your drawing style can also give some people more ideas. :) 

48 minutes ago, Astrea said:

Hi!
You mean like a picture book? Or more like a BD / comic kind of thing? Aimed at which public (teens? Adults?)? I'm guessing it's 'one 'story' / 'one page' so how many stories do you need? Your ad is a bit vague which might be why you had trouble getting answers and you are likely to mainly get vague generalities about being ace more than short stories / experiences thing. Can it include dialogue? Do you need short stories 'FML style' (not for the comical aspect, about the format ^^) or do you want it to be like a collection of 'sayings'/'thoughts' about asexuality? It might be better to think of different thematics you can articulate the stories about so the 'book' has some kind of unity to it (it could be about life stages as an ace, from when people first suspected they are ace, to being ace when most people get their 'sexual milestones', to living your life as an adult as an ace', to 'being an older asexual'... there are some topics here dedicated to the older members where you could ask ; or structured around relationships  relationship with themselves, with their family, with their friends, with their spouse / boy/girlfriend). Giving themes will also help people to come up with ideas because when it's too vague, it's hard for a lot of people to even dare respond or they will just tell you basically the same thing over and over in a different way (probably 'I'm not having sex, I never wanted to , I don't understand why other people do') which won't make a great illustration material.

... I'm just curious, but can you post one of your drawings? Seeing your drawing style can also give some people more ideas. :) 

Hello!

By illustrated book I mean about 14 pages, each one with an illustration that will represent the text, like a picture book exactly. It will be aimed to teens and young adults mainly so not a kid's book! So far I'm getting the kind of answers I wanted ^^ Basically how one's feels that makes them wonder what is different of the rest. Dialogue is possible but can't be more than 5 sentences, I want to keep it short because the drawing is the main thing.

Basically I want it to be a tool for possibly questioning aces or people who are curious about it, in a way it's a divulgation book, so for now I just want to let people post what they think it could be something they would have liked to read when finding about asexuality, later I will choose and illustrate it. Each illustration will be independent of the rest. 😃

For the moment I haven't drawn anything yet about this, I still have to think what kind of style I will use.... Because the style I do my drawings may not be the one I will choose to do this work.

I hope this is more clear, I will update the main post to give people more ideas! Thank you for your advice^^

On 3/25/2021 at 7:34 PM, Iagi said:

For this I would need some help from whoever wants to participate to post a sentence or a short text (maximum 5 lines) telling some story or anecdote

"People don't believe me when I tell it, they start to argue or laught, "sex is a part of us" they say, and everyone wants it. Those who don't, needs therapy..."  

Good luck with your project @Iagi. Let us know if you need help promoting it, e.g. on social media.

@michaeldThank you! I would be happy if it can be shared with other asexual people so I can have more material! ^^

probably my experience would be

feeling ostracized, like i'm missing out on something that everyone claims is part of being human while my friends are all laughing besides me about something that i'll never understand

or

an internal struggle between brokenness and a fight to regain a sense of validity against what society expects of us

In my teens: thinking about a solution how to avoid sex in future relationships (before I realised that I am aro) and being disillusioned after realising that all genders have sex(ual attraction)  (and not only men^^)

Questioning my identity again and again, asking myself if aces could REALLY exist, due to the lack of representation in media or if I’m just looking for excuses

i’m very curious about your work:D I’m studying Illustration too and I plan to do something about asexuality/aromantic in future by myself^^ would be nice to have a lot of ace illustrational works :D

@Acecream Hi! So cool that we are studying the same!! 😁 When I finish the book I will post it here ^^

disclaimersong

if you need any more quotes or anything then heres mine 

i figured out i was ace when i was fourteen, almost everyone i know irl has been accepting which i really appreciate, but theres a lot of people that just think we're looking for attention. we're not. we're a real part of the lgbtqia+ community and the a sure as hell doesnt stand for ally

good luck with your project :]

Archived