Oldies for the Older Ace

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

Don't know if anyone else out there shares my taste, but I adore Nina Simone, Roberta Flack, Ella Fitzgerald, Sachmo, trad Jazz, Blues, Dolly Parton, Appalachian music - -especially Gillian Welch. I also like classical, opera, gospel, soul, rock-opera, folk, fusions and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra . . . Just to show some of my eclectic tastes. :) 

• Like 3
StratoChief

Welcome! Feel free to share what you love.

• Like 1
Guest Invisible Pumpkin
2 hours ago, Gen1 said:

Don't know if anyone else out there shares my taste, but I adore Nina Simone, Roberta Flack, Ella Fitzgerald, Sachmo, trad Jazz, Blues, Dolly Parton, Appalachian music - -especially Gillian Welch. I also like classical, opera, gospel, soul, rock-opera, folk, fusions and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra . . . Just to show some of my eclectic tastes. :)

Hi!! I already shared one of Nina Simone, but another one won't hurt, right? 

23 minutes ago, 8181477 said:

Hi!! I already shared one of Nina Simone, but another one won't hurt, right? 

Too right - thank you so much for that. I can never get enough Nina :) 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, StratoChief said:

Welcome! Feel free to share what you love.

Thank you so much for the welcome - it has been so good to fine this site. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, LeChat said:

This is my favorite song of Nina Simone's

Oh, yeah. That's a great song, well sung!

• Like 2

@daveb Yeah; I like everything in the song--the instrument arrangement, lyrics, and Nina Simone's voice. It just all goes together very well.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, daveb said:

How about Sinnerman by Nina Simone (used in The Thomas Crown Affair movie from 1999)

I love this one - thank you so much for sharing it. This is the first time that I have voluntarily listened to Nina, and wanted to, since my life partner died. 

• Like 2
StratoChief

(Sorry, this got a bit long. Worth it I hope!)

A trio of these that have been rattling around in my head for a few days. "I Feel For You" (1978) from Chaka Khan's debut solo album, pre-MTV-era video below:

Spoiler

A guaranteed floor-filler at our high school dances, nothing like the joy of a hundred or more girls singing out the chorus. Skip ahead to 1984, disco is not necessarily dead but in the shadows, and synthesizers ruled. But Chaka's back with a cover of Prince's "I Feel For You" featuring Stevie Wonder on harmonica:

Spoiler

Huge hit, earning Chaka a Grammy for her performance and another for Prince as writer. Now fast forward almost to the present day. "Like Sugar" (2018) is definitely NOT an oldie, but the underlying bass riff is from the 1975 funk-disco hit "Do The Bus Stop" by the Fatback Band:

Spoiler

When I pull up one of these on Youtube I always have to hear the others. Like the old potato chip ad, "bet you can't have just one!"

Guest Invisible Pumpkin
1 hour ago, StratoChief said:

(Sorry, this got a bit long. Worth it I hope!)

A trio of these that have been rattling around in my head for a few days. "I Feel For You" (1978) from Chaka Khan's debut solo album, pre-MTV-era video below:

Hide contents

A guaranteed floor-filler at our high school dances, nothing like the joy of a hundred or more girls singing out the chorus. Skip ahead to 1984, disco is not necessarily dead but in the shadows, and synthesizers ruled. But Chaka's back with a cover of Prince's "I Feel For You" featuring Stevie Wonder on harmonica:

Hide contents

Huge hit, earning Chaka a Grammy for her performance and another for Prince as writer. Now fast forward almost to the present day. "Like Sugar" (2018) is definitely NOT an oldie, but the underlying bass riff is from the 1975 funk-disco hit "Do The Bus Stop" by the Fatback Band:

Hide contents

When I pull up one of these on Youtube I always have to hear the others. Like the old potato chip ad, "bet you can't have just one!"

I'm sure is worthy, I listened already the first one already 😀. You can feel free to post around as much as you need and as long as you need to, (so as long you are following the ToS/rules of the site). 

StratoChief

Thanks for your kind words @8181477, and thanks for starting this thread!

StratoChief

Elvis Costello, "Pump It Up" from his 1978 album This Year's Model. This and his debut album My Aim Is True were such a change from so much overproduced pop that was on the radio at the time:

Spoiler

Now skip ahead to 2021 when Elvis and his producers brought together an international group of vocalists to re-record This Year's Model but with a twist. Same instrumental tracks, but the lyrics were in Spanish, and the result was (appropriately!) titled Spanish Model. Here is Chilean pop star Cami with her version of "This Year's Girl." "La Chica De Hoy," shifting the viewpoint from third person to her own experiences:

Spoiler

And if the video style is familiar, it was inspired by Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues (1965):

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic could talk about music all day. I love all sorts of music but my go to is always early 80s new wave (hence Ian Curtis as my avatar) and 90s grunge / alternative. Bands like the Blue Stones gives me hope that good music is still being made today. 

• Like 1
StratoChief

Welcome @Grace Too, great to have you here, post what you love!

And I hope The Cure is to your liking, particularly this one because it is Friday after all (at least where I am🙃).

Edited by StratoChief
added a video!
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Guest Invisible Pumpkin

I'm trying to share this song, but says the content if blocked. If anyone is curiose it's: Diana Ross I'm Coming Out (a 3:53 minutes video). That was a great song for its moment, I think. 

*Didn't saw the video, just listen the song, so I don't know what kind of content it may have (visually speaking). 

• 2 months later...
imnotafreakofnature!

When I was six, I was completely in love with David Cassidy and convinced I'd marry him when I grew up. He got a reputation as a "bubble gum" musician because of his role as Keith Partridge on the Partridge Family (with his real life stepmom, Shirley Jones), but he was actually a really good singer, and even appeared on Broadway years later with his real life brother, Shaun. This was one of my favorite songs back then.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...