Oldies for the Older Ace

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

**Post that Youtube old song you love**

I have a love for old music and I want to find out if you too. I like songs that were trendy when I was younger, but also I like those that I listened to when I was a kid (those that my parents and uncles liked); they awake a sense of nostalgia for the good old times. 

This sentiment gets stronger as some of the current music trends don't always appeal to me, so I keep searching for the old ones. Does that happen to you? If so, you are invited to post those old songs you love.

*I'm not quite sure if this topic exists already, in which case mods can do whatever they must without notification, I guess.

*I'm sure I have posted this song already elsewhere in this forum lol sorry. The original song is from 1992, not quite old, but, hey, it's a point to start!

Purple Red Panda

Just because I like to brag about it, I saw Radiohead perform this live back in 1997 at the tender age of 16 and it has a very special place in my life.

Spoiler

Back to the subject in hand. As I've got older I've developed an appreciation for things like jazz, blues and gospel.

• Like 1

Postmodern Jukebox makes some good music. :D

There used to be a couple of threads for songs of certain decades (one for 60s music and one for 70s? or 80s?), but those haven't been active for a while.

I do like to listen to a lot of what used to be called classic rock (but there has been decade creep and I think some places now include music from the 90s in that (and possibly more recent?)). For me it was mostly stuff from my childhood (60s) and teen years/early 20s (70s). :) 

• Like 3

@Suzie-Q Lovely song! I first heard it when two German sisters sang it on the Voice kids. Have you heard their version?

Spoiler

Anyway... I shouldn't be here... I just love this song. Have a nice week.

Naturelover

I love “old” music too.  I’m 58 so most of the music I listen to is from the 60s to the 90s with a special appreciation for late 70s/early 80s and I’m not too familiar with anything current.  I happened to hear this song by America the other day and it brought back memories of being a kid and listening to music in my teen-aged babysitter’s basement.  This time while listening to the lyrics I was struck how they could be interpreted as ACE (am I biased?).  He’s not ready for the altar and he wants the woman to be his friend and love him just a little - just enough to show she cares.  Then there is  “I tried to fake it, I don’t mind saying I just can’t make it.”  Hmmm.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oNULFXLuMc&t=91s

• Like 3
Guest Invisible Pumpkin
44 minutes ago, Purple Red Panda said:

Just because I like to brag about it, I saw Radiohead perform this live back in 1997 at the tender age of 16 and it has a very special place in my life.

Hey, that's awesome!!😁 I have never been to one of their concerts, actually I dont know if the band exist still (I haven't updated in a while about them).

I'll hear the song now.

I'm not that old, but I do love me some music from the 1960s and 70s. In fact, those are my favorite decades for pop music, no contest. It's mainly because of instrumentation for me. I like music with a lot of instruments and less electronic instruments (electric guitar, bass, and organ I like, but is about the limit for me), and music from the 60s/70s is just rich with a wide variety of non-electronic instruments.

This a longtime favorite of mine:

And here's a less well-known song from 1968 I discovered recently that I find really neat (the JS Bach influence is clear):

• Like 1
Guest Invisible Pumpkin
52 minutes ago, daveb said:

Postmodern Jukebox makes some good music. :D

There used to be a couple of threads for songs of certain decades (one for 60s music and one for 70s? or 80s?), but those haven't been active for a while.

I do like to listen to a lot of what used to be called classic rock (but there has been decade creep and I think some places now include music from the 90s in that (and possibly more recent?)). For me it was mostly stuff from my childhood (60s) and teen years/early 20s (70s). :) 

Oh, hiii! Don't tell the mod I did a repeated thread 😇😅

I did a 3 pages search on this forum seeking for an alike thread, but it didnt occurs to me to do a general one, my bad. I guess if those others aren't much actives this may fall in the same category soon, but mean while, I'll share some songs I like regardless of what others may think of them or about my musical taste.

2 minutes ago, Suzie-Q said:

Oh, hiii! Don't tell the mod I did a repeated thread 😇😅

I did a 3 pages search on this forum seeking for an alike thread, but it didnt occurs to me to do a general one, my bad. I guess if those others aren't much actives this may fall in the same category soon, but mean while, I'll share some songs I like regardless of what others may think of them or about my musical taste.

No worries.

Mods can merge threads if need be. Plus, those other threads might be too long dead. :) 

Guest Invisible Pumpkin
31 minutes ago, Ennis said:

@Suzie-Q Lovely song! I first heard it when two German sisters sang it on the Voice kids. Have you heard their version?

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway... I shouldn't be here... I just love this song. Have a nice week.

I don't remember to have listened to it.

I think you could be wherever you want in the forum, I'm, not sure. 😀

my radio alternates between npr and the only decent 'oldies' station in the area, because after years of trying to stay current it is finally just too depressing. the lack of real musicianship in today's top and pop radio guts me. don't get me wrong, there are still some amazing musicians out there, but they generally don't get airplay 🤔

as a budding writer i had been a huge fan of simon and garfunkle, once my teacher stunned my high school class with the revelation that songs are essentially poems set to music - lol, it hadn't occurred to us that they were related 😅  

then in college i discovered a whole new world of musical poetry - the doors, pink floyd and so much more.

this is one song from my youth that shocked me into self-awareness when i finally really listened to the lyrics - so much meaning in the words, so much real poetry. it still gets to me.

btw, sorry for the poor typing, but i took a bad fall and broke my left arm, damaged the right hand. typing with one finger is tiring and makes caps and most punctuation more trouble than i have energy for

• Like 3

'Life's What You Make It' by Talk Talk is a truly great song (in my opinion).

Lyrics:

Life's what you make it, can't escape it
Yesterday's favourite, don't you hate it?

Everything's all right
Life's what you make it
Everything's all right

Life's what you make it, don't backdate it
Don't try to shade it, beauty is naked

Life's what you make it, celebrate it, anticipate it
Yesterday's faded, nothing can change it
Life's what you make it

---
From songmeanings.com: "This song is encouraging two main themes that greatly correspond to transcendentalism. First, it is endorsing non-conformity in that it is telling people to see the world through their own eyes and heart, not through the eyes and ideas of others. It’s also suggesting free thought in that it implies that there is no universal reality, only individual perception — that you create your own experience and that your own personal experience should not be clouded by judgment and ideas of society and other people. Life’s what you make it, celebrate it. Live in the now and don’t let the negatives of the past stop you and your heart’s desire for happiness."

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DemonicSister said:

Might not be that oldbmyse but I do like what "youngsters" call "true" metal 🤣

https://youtu.be/TXZoWTvkBqM

Excellent song!  Many would say that AC/DC are hard rock rather than metal but I don't care what you call them, they've been kicking ass for over 40 years!

DemonicEnby
1 minute ago, MaryofMayo said:

Excellent song!  Many would say that AC/DC are hard rock rather than metal but I don't care what you call them, they've been kicking ass for over 40 years!

And the stones, deep purple, u2, Aerosmith and a couple of others and now I should shut up because I feeling old XD

Combining that with finding half a dozen white hairs I'm getting doubtful of my physical age O.o

I'm having a severe problem accepting 80s being included in oldies.

When I was young my parents raised me largely on hippie music from the 60s, and my grandma on classics from the 30s-50s...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Zagadka said:

Yeah.

Some radio stations even include stuff from the 90s in the "oldies"!? :blink:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember back in the 80s, oldies radio sations played 50s rock 'n' roll and I had no problems with those songs being called oldies. If a song is 30 years old, I think it can be considered an oldie. I must face the fact that I'm not 20 anymore.

• Like 3
DemonicEnby
On 4/18/2021 at 2:58 AM, daveb said:

Yeah.

Some radio stations even include stuff from the 90s in the "oldies"!? :blink:

I get what you mean. Sometimes on Facebook I see a video off songs and feel a tad baffled with titles like "this songs turn 25 this year" and am reminded that I have gotten old myself XD

And yeah, that is past thirty in age too... 

• Like 2
robnrdbrd

42, grew up on 60s music, love me some jangly rock! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hhU4TSY0f0  

(guess The Hollies - Look Through Any Window isn't allowed to be embedded)

Last week, I took a dive into Paul Revere & The Raiders. The costumes make them look like a joke, but you can't deny their ability and strong catalogue of tunes!

I'm only 40, but when I was young, I listened to a lot of my grandma's collection from the 40s and 50s. I don't recall a single artist's name, but until I was 10 or so I would listen to her tapes every night.

Then my mom... a dirty hippie, introduced me to a lot of 60s music, and my dad classic rock. But mostly the usual mainstream stuff. I had to go discover music on my own after I moved away from home and realized how much I was missing out on.

• 2 months later...
Guest Invisible Pumpkin
On 4/17/2021 at 7:03 PM, Zagadka said:

When I was young my parents raised me largely on hippie music from the 60s, and my grandma on classics from the 30s-50s...

Uppsss, sorry hehe, but 80's are 40 years old now, so, it's old for veru young people 😁