Article about Demisexuality

Forest Spirit

Fraggle Underdark

The visibility is nice :) I'm glad the article was written and it seems to cover the topic nicely.

I do find it a little weird when people say demisexuals "do not become attracted by aesthetics, gender, power, kindness etc" or that they "don't feel primary attraction – an instant attraction to someone based on their physical appearance or smell".

I'm not demiromantic, just demisexual, but I'm definitely romantically attracted by some of those things. And I can be romantically attracted to someone right away.

Abigail Rose

That is a very detailed article @Quasar.w. It's definitely worth reading even if a person isn't questioning. 

Forest Spirit
2 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

I do find it a little weird when people say demisexuals "do not become attracted by aesthetics, gender, power, kindness etc" or that they "don't feel primary attraction – an instant attraction to someone based on their physical appearance or smell".

Think the author just wanted to emphasise the "it takes time" point, and may have missed the point that orientations don't have to overlap. I'd have preferred a simple "don't feel primary sexual attraction" as what people are sexually attracted to varies and their examples are kind of odd imo, like kindness

Fraggle Underdark
7 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

Think the author just wanted to emphasise the "it takes time" point, and may have missed the point that orientations don't have to overlap. I'd have preferred a simple "don't feel primary sexual attraction" as what people are sexually attracted to varies and their examples are kind of odd imo, like kindness

"don't feel primary sexual attraction" (as you specified) seems more fitting to me, yeah. Personally I'm not drawn to explore detailed theories about underlying mechanisms of demisexuality, like what primary attraction is and whether that perfectly explains demisexuality, but that's just me. But specifying sexual attraction at least makes the discussion more specific to demisexuality. I thought maybe the author was conflating or grouping demisexuality and demiromanticism but they talked about a sexual connection possibly being formed because of a romantic one, so they seemed aware they're not the same.

Kindness definitely makes sense to me in terms of romantic orientation. And from what I understand many people are sexually attracted to the same things they're romantically attracted to. But it's hard for me to say what exactly I'm sexually attracted to, in practice, because it's been so few people. The best I can do is compare to the people I've had deep bonds with and didn't feel sexual attraction for. But deep bonds like that are still a small data set.

Forest Spirit

@fragglerock yes think specifying it again that it's about sexual attraction would've been good, maybe they just tried to make it more understandable through examples and got a bit lost in that.

• 3 months later...
DistantView

Well, that pretty much confirms it. Of those 8 thoughts/traits I identify with all 8 of them, most strongly.

Archived