What is the worst case of 'pointlessly gendered' that you have seen?

Mine were:

- a tool set in pink advertised with: 'ladies or low testosterone male pink tool set six piece';

- the game monopoly with: 'For boys and adults (above 8 years old) 2-8 players' written on the box.

• Like 11
Oberon Jasper

Meggings- Leggings for MEN.

• Like 8
Janus the Fox

The Reddit r/pointlesslygendered have a lot of shocking examples, a lot for me for gendered consumer products labelled ‘for men’ or ‘for women’ with nothing but a blue or pink colour changing them, while ‘for women’ products being a noticibly higher price as well.

• Like 12

Dude Wipes, for when you feel personally attacked if there isn't mention of something 'masculine' and will refuse to wipe your ass otherwise. 👍

• Like 16
On 3/13/2021 at 4:37 PM, Comrade Enby said:

Dude Wipes, for when you feel personally attacked if there isn't mention of something 'masculine' and will refuse to wipe your ass otherwise. 👍

And it gets worse: In public bathrooms there seems to be a chance that in the men's bathrooms there won't even be a mirror but a facebook-like message written on the wall: 'You don't need a mirror. You're a man!'

• Like 2

I used to work as a stocker at a grocery store in the laundry detergent aisle and I remember as clear as day one night we got a new product: A type of drier sheets made for men. LOL

• Like 6

There are so many things frankly I can't think of anything that irks me more than the rest haha

McDonalds toys when they are boy/girl toys is one that frustrated me constantly as a kid and still does 
Books you can find in the kid's section of the library 
Backpacks
Proper hair care 
SITTING POSITIONS 
"Theydies and Gentlethems" 

And things that would be more disputable: 
menstruation products 
Nail polish

Clothing 

• Like 11

The kinder-eggs (chocolate eggs with a surprise inside). As I remember they exist in “normal” and “girls edition”. Like – why??

• Like 14
Anthracite_Impreza

Pens and "man washers", because how insecure are you that you can't use somet that's not a specially made MAN sponge?

• Like 6

Gendered shower gel is kind of pointless except for the fact that the "for men" versions smell terrible so that makes it easy to avoid them. Actually, the world would be a better place if they just stopped making those in the first place.

• Like 11

If I had to be really honest, some heavily gendered language, but they wouldn't exist if they weren't so heavily gendered.

• Like 6
nutterwithasolderingiron

ok. this is a weird one but i've seen other guitar players say stuff like "don't play a mustang, that's a girl's guitar" BITCH, i'll play what the fuck i want. 

also fun fact. the squier hello kitty strats are amazing guitars. 

• Like 16
4 minutes ago, nutterwithasolderingiron said:

ok. this is a weird one but i've seen other guitar players say stuff like "don't play a mustang, that's a girl's guitar" BITCH, i'll play what the fuck i want. 

also fun fact. the squier hello kitty strats are amazing guitars. 

Great attitude!

I've once heard that apparently, girls aren't allowed to play bass or drums because it's 'too masculine' and that they should 'rather choose harp or flute'. For goodness sake! If I could, I would learn all of them! But why would gender even matter? I mean sure, the size of an instrument should be fitting for one's hand size but that can be arranged, can it not?

• Like 6

I'm researching for a novel and I found this sentence on wikipedia that made me immediately think of this thread: "Male cleavage (also known as "heavage"), a result of low necklines or unbuttoned shirts, has been a movie trend since 1920s." 

• Like 4
Purple Red Panda

Pretty much ever advert I see for face cream that is targeted towards men, they all try to be as manly as possible and have a "using this doesn't make gay or girly" kind of subtext. Me and my housemate made one up called Panzer Balm which would have a picture of a big fuck-off tank on the label so no one could ever question the obvious masculinity of its users.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Quilly said:

I'm researching for a novel and I found this sentence on wikipedia that made me immediately think of this thread: "Male cleavage (also known as "heavage"), a result of low necklines or unbuttoned shirts, has been a movie trend since 1920s." 

Oh my god. I'm laughing too hard right now! 🤣 'Heavage'.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Purple Red Panda said:

Pretty much ever advert I see for face cream that is targeted towards men, they all try to be as manly as possible and have a "using this doesn't make gay or a girly" kind of subtext. Me and my housemate made one up called Panzer Balm which would have a picture of a big fuck-off tank on the label so no one could ever question the obvious masculinity of its users.

I'd buy that! Although. Being German I really shouldn't...

• Like 3

cable connectors, why are there female and male components for cable connectors. cable connectors don't need genders. 

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, sakura jelli said:

cable connectors, why are there female and male components for cable connectors. cable connectors don't need genders. 

now how the heck do they make those things gendered??

What's next, "Girl hammers" and "boy hammers"???????

• Like 5
Lord Jade Cross
1 minute ago, A User said:

Unfortunately that's already a thing. Just yesterday, I drove by a construction site and the women all we're wearing pink helmets and vests while the men wore the traditional yellow helmet and vests.

This extended to power tools or tools in general, the "girl power" ones will be coated in pink while the "regular ones" will have the default color setting.

• Like 3

I totally forgot about pink camouflage for women- the entire concept of camouflage is that it is the colors of the surrounding wildlife to increase blending into the surroundings and benefiting things like hunting. Changing the color and shape of the garment for another gender defeats the purpose of it. 

• Like 12
Anthracite_Impreza
23 minutes ago, sakura jelli said:

11 minutes ago, A User said:

Um, they aren't "gendered" in the same way as a gendered colour. The "male" end fits into the "female" hole, that's where the name comes from.

• Like 13
7 minutes ago, Comrade Jade Cross said:

Unfortunately that's already a thing. Just yesterday, I drove by a construction site and the women all we're wearing pink helmets and vests while the men wore the traditional yellow helmet and vests.

This extended to power tools or tools in general, the "girl power" ones will be coated in pink while the "regular ones" will have the default color setting.

A friend of mine works as a carpenter and she complained about there being almost no women's work-clothes without pink, even small details aren't safe from being pink-y-fied.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, A User said:

I think i've seen a hammer set labelled as "hammers for girls" and they were pink and sparkly with feathers. The marketing team for this hammer set really be thinking that girls can't just use a regular one, girls can only use pink and sparkly hammers. 

• Like 4

I find it strange that for women, it's okay to have different products in the shower to wash your body, shave and shampoo and condition your hair, but for men you have one bottle with an incredibly masculine name that apparently does everything? Same thing goes for moisturisers and face creams that are either heavily marketed at women, or aimed at men but with a wry, 'using-this-is-still-manly' attitude.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Phalena said:
1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Oh my god. I'm laughing too hard right now! 🤣 'Heavage'.

Almost makes one want to heave. :P 

10 minutes ago, A User said:
22 minutes ago, sakura jelli said:

That's actually about whether it has a part that protrudes vs an opening that other part sticks into. Maybe a crude or odd analogy, but at least there is a bit of logic to it. shrugs

3 minutes ago, Quilly said:

camouflage

camouflage clothing is kind of silly anyway, for most people most of the time, but yeah, pink camo is even sillier

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Um, they aren't "gendered" in the same way as a gendered colour. The "male" end fits into the "female" hole, that's where the name comes from.

2 minutes ago, daveb said:

That's actually about whether it has a part that protrudes vs an opening that other part sticks into. Maybe a crude or odd analogy, but at least there is a bit of logic to it. shrugs

Yeah idk I just think that people could have come up with better ways to call cable connector parts rather than female and male components. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 6
Anthracite_Impreza
Just now, sakura jelli said:

Yeah idk I just think that people could have come up with better ways to call cable connector parts rather than female and male components. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well they probably shouldn't have used "master" and "slave" either but that just shows the mentality.

• Like 6
nutterwithasolderingiron
2 hours ago, Phalena said:

Great attitude!

I've once heard that apparently, girls aren't allowed to play bass or drums because it's 'too masculine' and that they should 'rather choose harp or flute'. For goodness sake! If I could, I would learn all of them! But why would gender even matter? I mean sure, the size of an instrument should be fitting for one's hand size but that can be arranged, can it not?

honestly, the amount of sexism i've seen towards most the female/afab musicians i know is shocking. there's this attitude where it's assumed they don't know much about the gear they play (fucking hell one of my bandmates did an entire paper on vacuum tubes and the use in guitar amps and got an A) and that you'll just be playing boring acoustic music..... or sometimes you'll get the fuckers who'll say "awwww, you're trying to be one of the boys" when they see em make heavier music. hell, both my bandmates (one afab NB and one trans woman) refuse to go to a guitar shop by themselves because they've had many cases where creepy male musicians will come up and start hitting on them or talking down to them. even if they're in the private booth. 

honestly, the attitude i see from a lot of guitar playing boomers is just really horrible. basically "men make music for everyone, women make music for women" plus the whole "women shouldn't play drums" thing. bollocks. 4 of my favorite all time drummers are women and they can out play most musicians every day of the week. fuck it, i'm posting my favorite warmers song. just listen to amy farina's drumming on this one. she is absolutely MASSACRING those drums. 

• Like 6