Job: Stand or Sit

GingerRose

Do you stand or sit more for your job?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you stand or sit more for your job?

• Stand
    • Sit
    • I am in another position mostly for my job. (put in comments)
    • I don't have a job but I wanted to click something.

This poll is closed to new votes

I would usually be standing as a teacher, but now because of the pandemic I am a full time virtual teacher. Sitting at the computer all day. Oo my back. Ow.

Both. Standing, sitting, walking... I wouldn't want to a job that involved only sitting or standing. 

Anthracite_Impreza

When I'm firemanning or driving a steamer, standing (and the rest). Diesels are a sit job. Mostly I run around like a headless chicken keeping up with coaling, watering and tidying though.

I'm a graphic designer, so all I do is sit at my computer.

When I’m doing computer stuff on my work from home days I mostly sit but sometimes I’ll stand when I get tired of sitting (the table my computer is on is one of those tall dining room tables). On days I work in the office I’m often going back and forth to the copy machine, standing there scanning stuff for like 15 minutes, or getting files and stuff too, but for some reason one of the COVID protocols is we’re not allowed to use our standing desks.

Blue eyes white dragon

I mostly sit (dont have a job but do school). I have tailbone problems so sitting for too long is painful and I get restless. I'd rather be moving around instead of sitting or standing.

Still no job☹️

Though most of the jobs I've had involved a lot of standing and moving around, which is good because I'm not the best at sitting still all day

2 hours ago, Blue Eyes White Dragon said:

I mostly sit (dont have a job but do school). I have tailbone problems so sitting for too long is painful and I get restless. I'd rather be moving around instead of sitting or standing.

My tailbone got nailed mighty hard when I was 13 I think. Sitting for extended periods no longer hurts but it did for a very long time, so I reckon yours will also get better with time. Now I get back pain if I stand still for too long, but other than that it’s okay.

Purple Red Panda

Stand. We have on occasions had a chair behind the counter for staff to use but my preference is to be standing.

At the moment I work on a computer and have to do so sitting down. I would really love one of those fancy electric desks that sound like a dentist's chair when they move up and down, and which enable you to either stand up or sit down at your computer as you wish. Unfortunately they are very expensive.

It's supposed to be much healthier working standing up. I remember reading somewhere that Benjamin Franklin had a standing desk and never sat down to work.

I used to have an active grocery stocking job. It was nice because I was pretty good at it. But then I got arthritis and that kind of job just stopped being feasible for me. So for my next job I will be hunting for a sit down job.

Grumpy Alien

I rarely get a chance to sit

I sit all day, except to go to the bathroom. 😕 I make up for it by walking to work.

everywhere and nowhere

Sit. I'm a translator. By the way, standing without moving for a long time (and already ca. 15 minutes qualify as "long time") is something I can't (or maybe rather: shouldn't) do because of my damaged knees. I don't have any problems walking, I limp a little, but I can walk fairly fast (that said, I can't run at all and can't exceed ca. 25 km/h on my bicycle), but my knees hurt and stiffen a lot from standing in one spot. This has repeatedly happened to me on political demonstrations, concerts and in other places where you typically need to stand.

By the way, when I was about 10 years old - so when I was already physically much less fit than most people of my age, but yet before injuries which messed up my knees - I had another problem: my knees would become stiff when sitting. After for example a whole hour in the classroom, I needed about a minute to gradually straighten my legs and stand up. Once I forgot about it, tried to stand up as soon as the break started - my knees couldn't keep up and I fell to the floor.

Sit.

At work I have a pretty fancy standing desk, so the rare times these days that I'm going to the office it's at least a bit of a mix, but still more sitting rather than standing even then.

Sit. I have a standing desk, which I feel I should use more than I do. 

One downside of working from home is that I have fewer reasons to move around than I did in the office. All contacts with colleagues are now virtual, and I no longer have a printer or copier to walk to/from. The bathroom and kettle are closer to my desk, too. 

(One week anniversary of working from home is coming up next week. I can’t quite believe it.)

I'm at a computer allllllllll day, so I sit.  And sit.  And sit.

I had a standing desk at work back when the office was a thing, but its novelty wore off pretty quick.  I'm not at a computer on calls where I can bob around all day; my hands are either on a keyboard typing, scrolling the mousepad to read, or a combination of the two in rapid succession.  It's not really comfortable to stand in that case.

I deliver cars so there's a lot of sitting, but also plenty of walking between jobs 

Janus the Fox

I’m one of those computer technicians that would majority sit for a job, stand if uncomfortable and be physically active for a task at hand if required.  Setting up systems isn’t entirely sitting at a computer. :P 

I manage a bakery, so I'm constantly getting up and moving around, but I do get quite a bit of downtime and can sit when I have the chance. :)

i am   c o n s t a n t l y   standing  - _ -

A little bit of both for me since I’m either going out giving people estimates or getting material. Right now I’d say more siting since I’ve been driving all over the state just to get material since California has a wood shortage.

I'm an editorial/administrative assistant for a small press publisher, and worked long-distance even before COVID, so I'm constantly sitting on my ass in front of a computer. That being said, in warmer weather I do get outside and take frequent walks to compensate.

In winter, though... bleugh. I can't handle the cold, so instead I turn into a cocooned human slug and wait for sun.

fooledbysecrecy

i just realised i don't think i've ever had a job where i could have sat? it's always been shops or restaurants and such things, either standing or walking around.

Jayce Longstrider

Both, even though I mostly work at my computer, I still make it a point to work standing up from time to time (which when in the office I have an adjustable desk, and at home I have more freedom to step away from the screen from time to time or adjust my workspace.) I also make it a point to move around when I can to keep the blood flowing, reduce eye-strain, and try to stay active and awake.

It was actually versatile: I had a student job in HR and half of my mission was also to participate in the sport exams, so I wasn't stuck in an office even if I mostly sat

J. van Deijck

It really, really depends on what I am doing. Cutting wire protections? Standing. Working on the train roof? Standing. Working on the train underframe? Standing. Working on the formboard table preparing the cabling harness? Sitting. Mounting an electrical box/cabinet? Sitting. I also do walking a lot, mostly for the necessary parts and components :P

Fast food does not give you many opportunities to sit. My low back and feet hurt by the end of even a 4 hr shift. I dread 8 hr shifts...

Archived