Do you have any favorite music in Japanese? (日本語で好きな音楽はありますか?)

harmonic turquoise

Alejandrogynous

ぼくのりりっくのぼうよみ (Boku no Lyric no Bouyomi)

NakamuraEmi

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

There are some of my favourite songs.

• Like 4
J. van Deijck

One more:

• Like 4
Catserole

I didn't know many of these besides Nocturnal Bloodlust, weirdly enough (did I see them on here? Maybe). Fun thread, I'm enjoying the recommendations!

• Like 2
Black Tourmaline

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Alaska Native Manitou

Wow, someone posted a Fiction Junction song. It happens that Yuki Kajiura is my favorite composer in the world. Of many meaningful songs, the one that touches me most personally might be: Fiction.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Alaska Native Manitou

If you prefer Japanese language: Sweetie x2 by Miku

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

This is my favourite Japanese song, with Yung Lean and Bladee (Yung Lean being my favourite artist of all time):

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
Alaska Native Manitou

I hope you don't mind if I reminisce a little. When I was younger some of the cartoons I saw were anime, but I didn't know that & it was common practice back then to replace the music on imported shows. So my 1st encounter with Japanese music came by another route.

A Japanese-American family had a garage sale. I bought a vertically oriented image that looked like it was painted on small slats of wood, & 2 vinyl records--yes, I'm that old. I couldn't read Japanese back then, but there was a little English on it, enough to learn that both singers were named Yuki.

One was Katsuragi Yuki, who sang rock songs in a mixture of Japanese & English. I remember thinking from the lyrics that one of the songs might be called Motor City, & the name of another must be I'm Just Sitting on the Edge of the Ocean.

The other was Saori Yuki, who sang traditional sounding music in Japanese only. Unfortunately I can't name any of the songs from that album now, but this reminds me of them: Tayatan.

I liked them both very much & they sparked my interest in Japanese culture long, long ago.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokee Princess said:

I hope you don't mind if I reminisce a little. When I was younger some of the cartoons I saw were anime, but I didn't know that & it was common practice back then to replace the music on imported shows. So my 1st encounter with Japanese music came by another route.

A Japanese-American family had a garage sale. I bought a vertically oriented image that looked like it was painted on small slats of wood, & 2 vinyl records--yes, I'm that old. I couldn't read Japanese back then, but there was a little English on it, enough to learn that both singers were named Yuki.

One was Katsuragi Yuki, who sang rock songs in a mixture of Japanese & English. I remember thinking from the lyrics that one of the songs might be called Motor City, & the name of another must be I'm Just Sitting on the Edge of the Ocean.

The other was Saori Yuki, who sang traditional sounding music in Japanese only. Unfortunately I can't name any of the songs from that album now, but this reminds me of them: Tayatan.

I liked them both very much & they sparked my interest in Japanese culture long, long ago.

Thank you for sharing! Was really nice to hear the background story, too 💜

• Like 2
Black Tourmaline

Chiyono Ide also still genius of the world.

• Like 3

@harmonic turquoise

What a great thread I have found! Thank you for this.🥰 Everyone knows so much about Japanese songs that I too am surprised and happy.

I like "Cocco" and this song is a collaboration with "Quruli"(くるり), and I used to sing it at karaoke when I was in high school.

Spoiler

@Black TourmalineYou really know a lot about Japanese popular culture and I always enjoy your information. Thank you very much.🎶:) (Wow.. I didn't know anything about Yoshimotozaka 46. And it's super cool!)

@2SpiritCherokee Princess I love Yuki Kajiura too. She has created many fantastic soundtracks.

Spoiler

I love LOVE PSYCHEDELICO's music Her vocals sound mysterious because of the mix of English and Japanese.

Spoiler

• Like 3
OptimisticPessimist

I forgot about this song until recently as i couldn't remember the band's name and when i tried searching, nothing came up but found as at some point i had added it to my spotify and i had even searched on there but it was hiding.

• Like 3
fantastic mx. foxglove

I found out a few months ago that I absolutely adore Japanese punk rock. I've been listening to a lot of this playlist on spotify:

I think my favourite group that I've discovered would have to be PAN. So I guess I'll share two of my favourites from them:

• Like 4
  • 5 months later...

Some of my favs...

• Like 3
Grey-Ace Ventura

The opening of Black Butler

• Like 2

I discovered Kyu Sakamoto a year ago. His music was a lot of like the Western "soul" artists of the late 50s and early 60s (think The Platters) with that style and instrumentation, but Japanese language and tonality (or is modality the correct word?). Neat.

• Like 3
Exoplanetarian

So much... I love Kalafina and Yuki Kajiura

and omg - Yoko Kanno, here in a cover by Yu Tamaki because trombone

And this particular track by Dir en grey still kills me every time 

• Like 2

I really love this too but I can't find it on YouTube so here's a Spotify thing!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

YMO, although they sing in English

But here are a couple I like:

• Like 1