:( I HATE gynos..

Androgyny

just like when I got my wisdom teeth removed =/ (btw, when I got them removed, it wasn't as bad as I thought, and they praised me for being a good patient, which made that brave pride thing go up, let me tell you, lol)

I couldn't resist writing to this! I put off getting my wisdom teeth removed for years because a boy I knew in high school died within hours of getting his removed. Fearing death, I refused to have them taken out. That is until they started to erupt impacted, which was such horrible, agonizing pain that I called every surgeon who could fit me in within the week. A month simply would not due in my case.

For half a year, I wasn't able to open my jaw more than an inch, and for an entire year, more than two inches. Now I have arthritis in my jaw that'll stay with me for the rest of my life. When ever I open my mouth more than half an inch, I hear a grinding sound. During dentist visits, when my jaw is opened for periods of time, it starts to spasm.

Granted, I was predisposed to arthritis, but it was the surgery that triggered it.

Oh great, and I'm having my wisdom teeth removed in a few months. :shock: :cry: :cry:

just like when I got my wisdom teeth removed =/ (btw, when I got them removed, it wasn't as bad as I thought, and they praised me for being a good patient, which made that brave pride thing go up, let me tell you, lol)

I couldn't resist writing to this! I put off getting my wisdom teeth removed for years because a boy I knew in high school died within hours of getting his removed. Fearing death, I refused to have them taken out. That is until they started to erupt impacted, which was such horrible, agonizing pain that I called every surgeon who could fit me in within the week. A month simply would not due in my case.

For half a year, I wasn't able to open my jaw more than an inch, and for an entire year, more than two inches. Now I have arthritis in my jaw that'll stay with me for the rest of my life. When ever I open my mouth more than half an inch, I hear a grinding sound. During dentist visits, when my jaw is opened for periods of time, it starts to spasm.

Granted, I was predisposed to arthritis, but it was the surgery that triggered it.

Oh great, and I'm having my wisdom teeth removed in a few months. :shock: :cry: :cry:

funaladanaly: OH.MY.GOD. wow wow wow, I had no idea so much problems could happen from having them taken out. He DIED?? Holy shit! And then poor you with the arthritis and all! omg, I feel so bad for you! *hugs hugs hugs*

Niemand: if you are getting your wisdom teeth out before they cause problems, this is wise. Have you had x-rays taken of your teeth? The dentist should show you in which direction your wisdom teeth are growing. They can determine if the teeth are growing in straight or not. In my case, they were impacted, developing horizontally, so they needed to be taken out before they grew anymore. Usually you get them taken out between the ages of 18-22, because they are not fully developed and easy to remove. When you get older, and have full grown wisdom teeth, it's the roots of these teeth that make it a difficult proccess because they are imbedded in the bone.

anyone interested: People say not to get them out if they do not cause you any problems (and this is your decision alone, I understand), but please please get an x-ray during the early stages of development, so that you know what your teeth are doing and you can prevent future problems =( I cannot stress enough the importance of knowing what's going in your mouth

I know I sound like a know-it-all when talking about this, but my mom is a dental hygenist and tells me so much stuff about teeth, I er, can't help but to pass on the knowledge, lol

Peppermintdrop
anyone interested: People say not to get them out if they do not cause you any problems (and this is your decision alone, I understand), but please please get an x-ray during the early stages of development, so that you know what your teeth are doing and you can prevent future problems =( I cannot stress enough the importance of knowing what's going in your mouth

I know I sound like a know-it-all when talking about this, but my mom is a dental hygenist and tells me so much stuff about teeth, I er, can't help but to pass on the knowledge, lol

Perhaps I could get your opinion on this: I went to the dentist a few months ago, he took xrays, and said my wisdom teeth were coming in straight/everything looks good. I got a card recently that tells me to go in for a cleaning where they'll probably take xrays again. The thing is that I don't want to go, so I'm wondering: if my wisdom teeth were good/straight a few months ago are they still good now? or are wisdom teeth prone to shifting and suddenly being bad? Do you know?

The reason I don't want to go for the cleaning is that it hurts.

Peppermintdrop
I haven't been yet, and I'm 21, but my mom is going to make me go sometime this year (she said that last year too, lol). In all honesty I'm dreading going too, BUT...I can't get out of something like that. For one, I don't want to embarass my family and stress out my mom. Second, causing a fuss isn't in my personality, my pride of being brave gets the better of me...I'll just have to bite the bullet when I go, just like when I got my wisdom teeth removed =/ (btw, when I got them removed, it wasn't as bad as I thought, and they praised me for being a good patient, which made that brave pride thing go up, let me tell you, lol)

It would embarass your family if you didn't get a Pap smear? Why?

Perhaps I could get your opinion on this: I went to the dentist a few months ago, he took xrays, and said my wisdom teeth were coming in straight/everything looks good. I got a card recently that tells me to go in for a cleaning where they'll probably take xrays again. The thing is that I don't want to go, so I'm wondering: if my wisdom teeth were good/straight a few months ago are they still good now? or are wisdom teeth prone to shifting and suddenly being bad? Do you know?

The reason I don't want to go for the cleaning is that it hurts.

*not a dentist expert* My understanding is that it's always good to get teeth cleaning because there's some gunk you can't get off your teeth with a toothbrush and toothpaste alone.

Sakura Alice: My wisdom teeth don't have the roots yet (I'm pretty young)and they look like they're growing in straight, but my jaw is too small for them, which is why I the dentist says I have to get them out. My mom is freaking out about the anesthetic procedure. >_<

Oh, um, </OT>?

• 7 months later...

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I felt it was better than starting a new one. Over on the thread in Q&A about whether it is medically damaging not to release sperm, I was informed that even if you are a virgin you will still need cervical cancer screening after age 21. Quick scan of various websites seems to confirm this, so, thoughts? How big is the risk of cervical cancer really if you don't have sex OR screening?

Personally, I'll risk it, unless someone close to me gets cervical cancer. There is no way anyone, not even the doctor, of any gender will take my clothes off and stick something up there. No, Nay, Never.

Guest Heligan

There were a few news items recently in UK about cervical cancewr screening.

On day time TV, a doctor said that if you havent got cervial cancer by the time you are 65 you wont get it. She didnt explain why but I thought it very interesting if true.

Then few months ago there was an announcement on news that pap smear before the age of 25 'do more harm than good'. Again no explaination why, but again ionteresting if true.

So I'm not sure what this adds to the thread. And I havent looked for references for any of this stuff.

Of course there is an injection for cervical cancer now, the sexual infection one anyway.... maybe things will be clearer in a few years when that has an effect on medical practices.

And the fact is if you actually did get cancer, your doctors would insist upon probing around and it'd probably be far, far worse than it would've been for a once-a-year-or-so exam. Not to mention the potential for dying a horrible, painful death bit.

First off, I agree with the thread's author. If she took the pill for a year and showed no adverse signs, what would a pelvic exam really tell anyone that a blood test wouldn't? I'm no gyno, to be sure, and I've never had an exam so I honestly don't know what they look for, but I would expect some other symptoms if anything were going awry. Pap smears are notoriously mishandled and HPV/cervical problems (including cancer) are often misdiagnosed (there have been dozens of investigations and articles about such; ABC's 20/20 with Barbara Walters did a good one a few years back). Real results depend on the quality of every handler and medical "expert" who sees the pap, not to mention much more vague but innocuous concerns like general material quality and sterility. And besides all that, things simply go wrong. We're human, we make mistakes despite our best attempts not to. On a related tangent, my aunt did everything she was supposed to. Got check-ups, ate right, stayed active, had exams, and she was fine...until they discovered she had late-stage uterian cancer. They missed it. Every time, they missed it, until it was too late to do anything but watch her die.

I say this, not to discourage women from going - if you don't mind it, think it's a necessary evil and accept it, go every year like clockwork, more power to you - I wanted to say simply sometimes the "rewards" of it don't outweigh the "risk." If it is mentally damaging, emotionally scarring, an anguished violation, I don't think "prevention" is enough. It's like wearing a seatbelt, multiplied by 1000. It "could" save your life or it could do nothing for you at all. I don't like seatbelts; I find them uncomfortable, exasperating, and most often unnecessary though social standards clearly advocate their use each and every time a vehicle is engaged. I understand and abstain. Every time I don't put one on, I gladly accept all risk of preventable injury. I have decided that, under most circumstances, for myself (and me alone), it's not worth it. Even though I'm pretty sure my chances of being in a mild-to-serious car accident are significantly higher than my chances of contracting HPV or being diagnosed with cancer. It's the same principle, and I don't think the importantce of a pap or pelvic should be overly touted.

[ Ahem, that grew quite a bit longer than I'd originally planned...but it says what I wanted it to so it's all good... ]

I know it's horrible but sometimes these things are needed. I have real psychological problems with intrusion of any kind which is why I'm sat here in pain because of about three holes in my teeth because I haven't been to the dentist in four years. But I will eventually have to go, I know I do. Once I've got the money I'll have to march in there begging to be knocked out for the procedure. I just hope the poor guy has riot gear because if there is no general anasethetic, I shall start kicking and screaming. It's pathetic and I know it before, during and after I panic, but panic I do.

But the doctor was wrong in trying to force you. The last time I went to the dentist I had to have five fillings and two teeth pulled out (I know, it sounds like I brush my teeth with sugar but I don't!) but because I was so scared they agreed to do it all at once while I was under general. What your doctor should have done was left an intrusive look as a last resort. That's the thing with doctors. They're all about finding cures and cancers and cysts and they forget that they're cutting up and poking real people. I understand they have to keep a certain distamce mentally or they'd crack, but there should be a little understanding.

I'm with ya girl. I'm 24, never had an exam, never will step foot NEAR a gyno's office. I frankly would rather have cancer than have a exam.

And i'm with ya on the times of the month too...having hemophilia sucks when it comes to those...maybe try to find other ways of releaving the cramps? Cut back on caffine at least a week before and during that time. Look up other ways, perhaps you can make the cramps bearable.

wow, I should spend more time on this forum. Recently my female friends-and one of them claiming to be a conservative and an asexual-are clamoring for me to see a gyno, simply for a check up. Apparently, they see one every year for regular check ups. However, the very notion of penetration is unacceptable, even if the doctor is a kindly old woman. my conservative friend told me however that I can opt for the partial exam b/c I'm not sexually active. Still, the thought of being touched there sickens me. and also added to the thought of how they'd respond to a 26 year old who's so averse to this kind of thing.

I got a yeast infection from antibiotics couple of weeks ago and I couldn't even use something like Monistat b/c I wouldn't even be able to touch myself. !it's just sickening to me.

I feel the same way-I'd rather get cancer than bear a gyno exam.

What I wanted to say in terms of prescription pills is that I come from E. Europe (non-EU) which means that we can get a lot of these types of pills over the counter. Also, even here in the US, there are online pharmacies (Mexico based usually) where you can pay a little extra to obtain these prescription drugs. That's what I had to do to cure my yeast infection.

So I went in to go see the doctor, and I told her I didnt want to have the physical examination done, and she tried to explain to me HOW it went(which I REALLY didnt want to hear..), and that I HAD to have it done, and WHY, and I kept telling her I didnt want to have it done, and she got really pissy with me, kind of forceful and rude

I agree with the posters above me who say that a physical exam is probably necessary, but I would DEFINITELY see a different doctor. If she can't be polite and professional, you should take your business elsewhere.

I agree with the posters above me who say that a physical exam is probably necessary, but I would DEFINITELY see a different doctor. If she can't be polite and professional, you should take your business elsewhere.

I agree-- you don't need to take her rudeness. I had to go to three different doctors once just to speak to someone who didn't think I was making up uterine cramps.

I also suffer from bad cramping (due to uterine fibroids and SUSPECTED endometriosis...not positive on that one). I was teaching during a time that it was really bad and I spoke to a nurse at the school about it. She recommended taking Advil Liqui-gels because they're apparently stronger than regular Advil and also recommended those tiny heating pads you can rub together and stick on you when you're out. Let me look for a brand name...ooh "ThermaCare Menstrual Heat Patches". I didn't try the latter, but you might want to check it out!

Guest Heligan

I was waiting to see if anyone else said anything about impacted wisdom teeth.

Because mine are compacted on both sides and never caused me anything approaching pain, odd twinge is the most I ever felt.

Recently I lost a tooth next to the wisdom through cracked tooth around a filling (filling was not in area obscured by wisdom). The nerve of that tooth died in about a week after I noticed slight sensitivity to heat and cold... I have to say really not that bad pain wise just one nasty episode really, the rest was moderate to mild.

Anyhow I got it taken out and the denist says that the gap should fill in as the wisdom straightens up. But I havent seen much sign of it yet and that was in March.

I'm 37. So I would say dont unless they are actually hurting. My brother in law also had allergic problems during a 'general' to get the things removed.

I detest going to the gyno - so I just don't. I had to go when I started college in order to be accepted (and what kind of fubar shit is that??) so I went when I was 17 and I cried the entire time. And then when I joined the army, they do this thing where you put your feet together and spread your legs and someone puts their finger inside and looks, I dunno what for I guess visible disease? Oh lord, I nearly decided not to join just because of that.

I detest going to the gyno - so I just don't. I had to go when I started college in order to be accepted (and what kind of fubar shit is that??) so I went when I was 17 and I cried the entire time. And then when I joined the army, they do this thing where you put your feet together and spread your legs and someone puts their finger inside and looks, I dunno what for I guess visible disease? Oh lord, I nearly decided not to join just because of that.

I'd say "Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

Seriously, I'm shuddering. Ugh, Ugh. UGH!

And then when I joined the army, they do this thing where you put your feet together and spread your legs and someone puts their finger inside and looks, I dunno what for I guess visible disease? Oh lord, I nearly decided not to join just because of that.

Was the doctor also pushing on various places of your lower abdomen (from the outside) at the same time? Even if not, that sounds more like checking organs (for swelling/etc) than anything else. A few years ago I had a cyst along a wall which could be found much easier by touch than seen with a speculum... touch is just as important as sight in some exams.

Along those lines, keept in mind that HPV isn't the only thing checked for during an exam. It's an assessment of general pelvic health.

What is "pelvic health"? The pelvis is a bone!

I really don't think half the things checked for at this sort of thing are necessary. If you are not sexually active and not catching diseases, and don't have endometriosis or menstrual whatsits or anything like that, then the only thing I can think of is cancer; and I'd rather eat live toads than go for a smear test.

I'm going to post this here in case it helps anyone...

I've heard it is not uncommon for people to go under anesthesia for the pap smear/pelvic exam. I have been told that it is fairly routine, in fact. They give you the same "twilight" drugs they give you for a colonoscopy and if they give you enough, you don't remember it (so I've been told).

So if it would help you not to be conscious during the exam, this is fairly routine, and should be covered by insurance (at least here in the US).

****WOW!*** this is quite a heated debate!

firstly, i am very deeply sympathetic with people of any sort who have fears regarding medical procedures...period. (pardon the pun). i have been scoffed at many times when revealing that i refuse to wear tampons for example (talk about uncommon).

for many years (until mine and my unborn infants' lives depended on it) i was excrutiatingly frightened by needles-they too creeped me out on the "invasive" theme. having type-0 negative blood i had to receive shots (anti-bodies) and be monitored for complications because of the baby and the chance that she too would have the same blood type (a huge disaster if she did). and she did! i also had blood drawn every two weeks so, i had to learn to relax through it and accept the neccessity for it.

i believe that a person should have freedom of choice regarding annual exams but i also feel it's important to note here what the exam informs us of. it seems that everyone is focused on cervical cancer and the "pap smear". well, when a gyno exams you she/he also checks for any irregular lumps or growths on the ovaries (that may indicate ovarian cancer tumors-a possible side effect of birthcontrol) as well as the uterus. also they examine the pelvic lymphs for the same as well as the neck, armpit and mamary glands. there's alot more going on during the exam than meets the eye.

understanding that you are on the pill, she/he may ask you if you smoke (then encourage you to quit since the pill may cause blood clots in those that do) and may also ask you if you have experienced any unusual leg cramps (again an indication of clots-side effect of the pill).

the bottom line is: the pill is very very very dangerous! it's interesting that women are so comfortable with a person altering their complex hormonal chemistry but feel wigged out by medical examinations that could help in diagnosing the side effects caused by the very thing that they are ingesting willingly:) this was not meant sarcastically:(

well, a doctor should be able to cease prescriptions if the patient isn't willing to allow examinations that are directly linked to possible side effects caused by the medication. just as a diabetic person must draw blood and check their sugar levels because they take insilin (which may alter levels extremely and cause organ damage-as in kidneys).

having said that, i still feel deep respect and compassion for individuals who are fearful and believe that: given the special circumstances (that the doctor is servicing a patient who is sensitive and fearful) the doctor should do everything possible to be inspiring and gentle and informative as well as seek outside help that will aid him/her in making fearful patients comfortable with procedures:)

peace and understanding:)

Seien Hananosei
Does it occur to anyone that there ARE NOT doctors specifically for dealing with the male sexual organ??

First off... I'm kinda with you on the fact that I don't think it's particularly necessary to have a gyno if you're not engaging in activities that could cause problems... Although if you are then you probably should... But you don't need to get a gyno every year, it's actually only every three or something if you sexually active and if you're not I see no reason to unless you have a reason to think that there's something wrong.

But the point I was trying to make is they DO have doctors specifically for the male organ... I've never heard of one in America, but I was researching about japan since I plan on visiting and there's a journal of an American over there who had to visit 'the penis doctor' (please don't ask, I don't read said journal anymore because of certain things.... :oops: )

Well i know a medication that works well is Naproxen Sodium, you can get it over the counter in the States but I think everywhere else you need a perscription. However I got it perscribed just by telling my doctor that I got bad cramps. The only problem with the drug is it's notorious for causing ulcers and stuff, so I stopped taking it awhile ago.

But I found out that if I change my diet about a week before my period to less dairy and meat, and more fish, and start taking omega-3-6-9 supplements beforehand both almost eliminated my cramps. I'd also suggest reading up on accupressure, there's a neat spot called spleen six that helps a bit too.

As for the physical examination, I'd say that even though it's icky it's necessary, except that I share your fear and I'm putting off visiting the gynecologist until i'm 21.

I'm going to post this here in case it helps anyone...

I've heard it is not uncommon for people to go under anesthesia for the pap smear/pelvic exam. I have been told that it is fairly routine, in fact. They give you the same "twilight" drugs they give you for a colonoscopy and if they give you enough, you don't remember it (so I've been told).

So if it would help you not to be conscious during the exam, this is fairly routine, and should be covered by insurance (at least here in the US).

Yes, in the US. The best you can hope for over here is to hand them a frying pan and ask them to smack you over the head with it :lol:

Yes, in the US. The best you can hope for over here is to hand them a frying pan and ask them to smack you over the head with it :lol:

You're joking, right? Most people in the US can't afford healthcare or get stuck with piece of crap HMOs that don't cover anything. If you want gas at a gyno, you better be prepared to pay for it out-of-pocket.

You're joking, right? Most people in the US can't afford healthcare or get stuck with piece of crap HMOs that don't cover anything. If you want gas at a gyno, you better be prepared to pay for it out-of-pocket.

Ditto here, unless you pay through the nose for private healthcare. *sighs*

Archived