Dental rates in your area

Cacille

I came here to ask this cause you would be the best people to ask. A few of you have kiddos and probably had to do this yourself a few times...

I have 6 cavities. And no insurance. However, soon here I'm getting in $1000 in which I am pretty sure i'm gonna get my teeth fixed with that money. However...I want white fillings, not the metal cheaper ones. Though I have no idea of their cost. I know that city prices will be more expensive than country prices, but still, I'd like to know a rate of some sort. Anyone here been to the dentist and had a cavity filled? What's the rate for your city or small town? I may just be willing to drive out of the city to go to a good doc in a small town.

In my area it runs from $200-$500 per cavity..

As I found out yeasterday before I had to apply for a loan for dental work...

Of course I need my wisdom teeth pulled too. :shock: Total ammount about gave me a heart attack.

It's going to cost big time. But I found it well worth the money. My teeth were in horrible shape but I finally found a dentist that said he could fix them instead of pulling them, and I have like 14 fillings and 3 crowns and 2 root canals. Lots of money out of my pocket. But you know, I like having all my own teeth. As for fillings. I have the metal fillings where they don't show and white fillings where they do show. The crowns are alloy gold, but they are way in the back and really can't be seen. I have fillings dating back to 1978. Only one filling has ever come out and had to be replaced with a crown. I think my fillings cost around $200 each with xrays and everything involved. The crowns cost in the neighborhood of $600 each. I just paid as I went. Got done what I could afford at the time until all the work was done.

Good luck with getting your teeth fixed.

A dental question! OH, how I live for dental questions! (I'm a RDH)

The main factor on how much a filling is going to cost is how many surfaces it has (typically one to four surfaces). Another factor is if the filling is in the front or the back teeth. In our office there is not much of a difference ($10-20) between the resin (white) and the amalgam (silver) until to get to 3+ surfaces.

I would definitely, definitely is ask your dental office to print out the treatment plan BEFORE you have work done. You may want to ask for them to print out two treatment plans, one with resin fillings, one with amalgam fillings so that you can see the difference between the two. You might want to opt to have the amalgam fillings placed in areas that are hard to see.

Before you go to a different dental office, know that they are likely to charge you for new patient procedures such as a comprehensive exam and x-rays. Where as your current dental office might only charge you for a periodic exam which is likely to cost less.

Remember: Always, always ask how much a procedure is before you consent to it. Keep in mind that dentists provide healthcare, but they also have to run a business as well. Be assertive and try to become educated as much as possible before have the prescribed dental work done.

ps. My guess is that it'll cost you about $600-800

sakura_alice
Of course I need my wisdom teeth pulled too. :shock: Total ammount about gave me a heart attack.
ahahaha, I just got mine pulled last Fri, thank GOD I was asleep for the whole thing. you know I'd never had surgery until then? I was so nervous! But at least the dentist was a family friend, and my mom was allowed to stay back with me. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was...now I'm on the best-working diet of my life with all this applesauce and soup, lol.
  • 3 weeks later...

Zerick, I may be moving to your area, so that info Helps A Lot.

Everyone else, THANKS!

I got a discounted plan, since I just finished a large paint job and had the cash. Now i just gotta set up a dentist that takes that plan, and hopefully it won't cost me as much as $600. Thanks for the info, LemonLime, that was really helpful too.

Now I just gotta finish one or two small paint jobs, then get that dentist set up.

Zerick, I may be moving to your area, so that info Helps A Lot..

Hey I got a great dentist when you need one. It was my first filling in years. I did not feel a thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have worked in a dental office the past 15yrs. The cost of a filling here in Hawaii cost about $250 in general. A crown in my office will set you back $1200.

By the way, the picture of the shark is called a white tip reef shark. I do live in Hawaii and have seen these type of sharks several times.

Is there a dental school in your area- you can often get your work done for free there, and there are certified dentists helping the students. the only reason they couldn't fill my cavaties when I went is the kid who i was assigned to hadn't had that training yet - and it was too late in the semester to find an appointment with another student

In the UK, you can reduce your costs considerably by finding an NHS dentist. I haven't needed any treatment recently, but I was paying £60 for every six-monthly visit when nothing needed doing (i.e. just a check-up and scale/polish). With the NHS, the charge is only a quarter of that - so cheap that I actually paid cash last time :)

There's none of the friendly banter, you probably end up not even knowing what your dentist's name is (!), but - hey - it saves you a load of money.

To find an NHS dentist near you ring the British Dental Health Foundation on 0845 063 1188.

Ther's the rub...finding an NHS dentist! They can be as rare as hen's teeth! In Banbury we have one. :oops: So I have ittle or no coice but to go private.

Had the estimate for the work I want done, purely cosmetic, but I've always wanted straight white teeth. If I put my current car inas part ex, I could get a new car! Now, question is..do I spend it on myself or something that will benefit the whoe family?[/b]

It is really not fair to have to pay for such important thing over there, Here you have to pay only for extra things, but the basic thing is paid by obligatory insurance .

Archived