Family traditions

Sam Spade

Does anyone have any fun family traditions? I'm trying to start new traditions: baking while watching Nascar on Sunday night,  and having Italian food for Christmas dinner. 

I guess I'm just curious what other people do, my family isn't very festive lol. 

Just a Quail

Besides big holidays, we don't have a lot of traditions, and the ones we do have come and go. But one of the few traditions is one we have for birthdays: in the early morning of someone's birthday, we get up and sing to them "Las Mañanitas", a traditional Hispanic birthday song. It's a fun way to start the special day, even if everyone is in pajamas and feels tired from waking up so early :lol:

LiveLaugh(Love?)

My family wakes people up on their birthday's by barging into their room and singing happy birthday.

...while whacking wooden spoons against pots and pans. Of course, this only works if you live with other people.

Just a Quail
4 minutes ago, LiveLaugh(Love?) said:

My family wakes people up on their birthday's by barging into their room and singing happy birthday.

...while whacking wooden spoons against pots and pans. Of course, this only works if you live with other people.

Omg I love that! If I ever live with other people, I'll gladly take this version of the birthday morning tradition ^_^

15 minutes ago, LiveLaugh(Love?) said:

This sounds so awesome! And somehow your barfing gnome pfp makes it twice as funny 🤣

My great-grandma used to give us money in the same dollar amount as what year we were turning on our birthdays (for example on our 5th birthday she gave us $5).

My mom let us open one present on Christmas Eve.

quadfasciata

We have a few accidental traditions. Every year we buy/harvest butternut squash and mean to bake it, but it always get composted. We also always mean to send hamentaschen for purim, but always eat them before they get sent.

blunose2772

When my Great Grandma was still alive my mom's side of the family would all meet at the farm she lived on every other Sunday for a huge Thanksgiving style meal. But when she passed on we all just kinda drifted apart

Blue eyes white dragon

We pass on family members names as middle names, Italian for Christmas, go to the movies or out to eat, put out luminaries for Christmas, watch a movie together on fridays, my mom makes her family's lasagna for my birthday every year. Those are all I can remember.

spencexists

Every generation has at least one kid with this middle name that I wont share on the internet because it happens to have fallen to me. My dads side of the family lived in England for the majority of my dads young life and him and his siblings were born there, but now most of my family lives in America. On Christmas we get those popper things, some people call them crackers, and we pass them around the table after dinner and wear the paper crowns while reading the jokes inside, its one of my favorite things in the world. On Christmas my grandmother sleeps over from Christmas Eve and opens some presents with us then goes to her other daughters place, then we go to our grandmothers house (where my sister and I drop heavy hints about being LGBTQ+ and laugh that she doesnt get them) pre-COVID we would have around 14 other family members come to our house to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. My sister and I are twins and every year on our birthday we make a lot of jokes about how we're only a minute apart age-wise. 

And finally, probably one of my favorites, camping in Pinecrest, CA every summer for around 2 weeks, its been happening for about 10 years at this point and celebrating the fourth of July up there is pretty magical.

If we had any family traditions they've mostly fallen away as my grandparents all passed away and my parents got old and stopped doing anything, and then my siblings went their own ways with their own families (their spouses, kids, and in-laws).

quadfasciata
18 hours ago, Blue Eyes White Dragon said:

We pass on family members names as middle names, Italian for Christmas, go to the movies or out to eat, put out luminaries for Christmas, watch a movie together on fridays, my mom makes her family's lasagna for my birthday every year. Those are all I can remember.

Oh yes, I forgot about that! My family (usually) has takeout on Christmas eve and goes out for a long hike on Christmas day as there are almost no people on the trails.

SorryNotSorry

My great-grandmother started a family tradition of having us all open our Christmas presents on Christmas Eve.

Archived