Lets put all MPs Senators/Congressmen ect. on minimum wage

ben8884

The minimum wage- what the government determines is a fair wage. The minimum wage is associated mostly with unskilled jobs. Well, all except one unskilled job-elected officials! MPs or whatever your nation calls them are unskilled. No degree or training is required and like, that's fine in fact that's how it should be to prevent an elite. However, if the minimum wage is good enough to live on, why not put them on it? If for no other reason because if we did I bet the wage would increase!

Yeah; I know what you mean. I was a bit surprised and disappointed that even some Democrat Congress representatives voted against the minimum wage hike.

Lord Jade Cross
30 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

The minimum wage- what the government determines is a fair wage. The minimum wage is associated mostly with unskilled jobs. Well, all except one unskilled job-elected officials! MPs or whatever your nation calls them are unskilled. No degree or training is required and like, that's fine in fact that's how it should be to prevent an elite. However, if the minimum wage is good enough to live on, why not put them on it? If for no other reason because if we did I bet the wage would increase!

Do as I say, not as I do" is the Golden rule of governments. They will talk and talk and vomit how people should live but none will ever agree to the same conditions

By the way, in the UK 15% of MPs did not attend University. Again, I have no issue with this and in fact, see an upside but I thought I would mention it for anyone saying University is a requirement.

Lord Jade Cross

Most senators here don't even have a high school degree yet sit on their asses bitching about lack of funds while the rest of us with either bachelor's (either one or several)  and masters have to work dead end jobs. I swear the day I see someone with a PhD in one of them, I really will lose my shit

RoseGoesToYale

Let's take it a step further... have the politicians switch places with fast food workers for a week. The workers could make some legislation that actually makes sense and we'd get to watch politicians struggle to deal with unreasonable customers. (Not that the politicians would ever let it happen *sigh*)

But seriously, just speaking for my country, politicians are WAY overpaid. Governments are supposed to run by regular citizens who devote their lives to be public servants, not rich celebrities. Especially considering how much they actually work *cough* Senate *cough*.

Here's a little tidbit about that. Watch up to 7:00

5 hours ago, ben8884 said:

By the way, in the UK 15% of MPs did not attend University. Again, I have no issue with this and in fact, see an upside but I thought I would mention it for anyone saying University is a requirement.

I'm surprised. I got the impression it was required, since I kept reading about U.S. and other, elected officials around the world (and senate candidates who try to become elected) who'd gotten a degree/attended university, included a grad degree (usually law or economics degrees).

5 hours ago, Comrade Jade Cross said:

Most senators here don't even have a high school degree...I swear the day I see someone with a PhD in one of them, I really will lose my shit

I'm confused. Do you mean senators in your state because I've read about elected Congress officials (and candidates who try to run/become elected in their state) with degrees so often, that I thought most of them had them.

The College Profile Of The New Members In The 117th Congress (forbes.com)

Society, automatically, seems to look down upon those without degree (with stereotypes and assumptions about them being "uneducated," "unintelligent," "lazy," "not a good or skilled worker," etc., perhaps, had good grades in school, but who couldn't afford to attend college/university or didn't want to put their family and themselves, into debt, or who has/had struggled with a mental illness, like, say, depression--which made it difficult to concentrate on learning college/university courses--due to years of being abused as a child, developing low self-esteem--or a learning disability that made that advanced material difficult to understand--especially since the system, tests, etc. catered to students from wealthier, white families), that I feel uneasy about non-degreed people being blamed for decisions like this, when it doesn't appear to be a fact.

10 hours ago, LeChat said:

Yeah; I know what you mean. I was a bit surprised and disappointed that even some Democrat Congress representatives voted against the minimum wage hike.

Most moderate democrats support it. Progressives are a given. The right thing to do is to primary Sinema and elect Democrats in favor of Republicans. Of course, one should pick the better democrat in a primary. In the case of Manchin-esque counties, one is forced to vote that guy.

My great-great uncle (born 1912) was an alderman who constantly ragged on people to be “successful” in spite of having a mere 4th grade education! I know things were different then, but holy s**t.

nanogretchen4

They make all their money from bribes. Seriously, politicians' salaries are a trivial fraction of their wealth.

Sounds good, sure, but it ain't gonna happen. Obviously.

May not have the effect you want. It will make them even more susceptible to "speaking fees" which have become  a legal form of bribery in the US.   I'd rather have them compensated enough that we can completely clamp down on bribery-like activities. 

I recall from history class that being MP before the industrial revolution was unpaid. 

This was a way to keep working class people or people without other income out of politics or seeking election because they would not have any other income in order to support themselves so parliament ended up as being wealthy landowners. 

And then there is the question of what hours do politicians work?

It isn't just the time in the legislative assembly and committees, it is a lot more. 

Irish politics seems to be a 24/7 job where you could be on call for people all the time (it is a result of stv-pr multi seat constituency system we use) . I know a person who went to an even, a politician was attending it and his job before and afterwards was that he was helping constituents with forms and documents. 

If you look at the 24/7 element of it, a politicians hourly pay in Ireland  would be €11.20, which is about, €1 above minimum wage

On 3/5/2021 at 6:28 PM, ben8884 said:

We don't need a wage hike. We need cost of living to make sense. Though your idea sounds funny, I am for it. Lets make a show put of it! Would be fun to watch suffer like the rest of us. Let them entertain us while we suffering job loss and economic struggle from Corona virus. 

Archived