Fiction novel with asexual lead / positive asexuality storyline: Streetlamps and Shepherd Moons

Ultraviolet125

Ultraviolet125

Hello all,

With kind permission from an AVEN team member, I would like to introduce the novel “Streetlamps and Shepherd Moons” by Katherine Highland.

Its central character Diane Abercrombie is on the asexual and aromantic spectra. Without wishing to give spoilers, the storyline is positive and does not lead to her being “fixed”!

There is humour, lots of friendship, diversity and inclusivity in the story as well as a hint of the paranormal. It is set in Scotland and written by an own voices author.

Category: Fiction novel

Source: Self published, available on Amazon

Date: February 2021

Title: Streetlamps and Shepherd Moons

Link: Streetlamps and Shepherd Moons by Katherine Highland (goodreads.com)

Thanks for sharing @Ultraviolet125

I've been seeing on Publishers Marketplace some books being sold to publishers with asexual leads. Some make me nervous because they sound like they may be "fixed" storylines, but I'm trying not to judge them too fast. We really do need more asexual/aromantic leads in novels. I'm working on one myself. 

Thanks again for sharing!

Ultraviolet125

Good luck, auntjessie! I hope I will be reading your novel one day!

Asexuality is also mentioned, though not in as much detail, in the earlier novel "The House with the Narrow Forks" to which Streetlamps is a sequel though it can be read as a standalone. Although negative stereotypes are mentioned as being held by another character in order to allow the main character to debunk them, there is no "fixing" in that one either.

Katherine Highland is my penname :-) I am very grateful to the AVEN project team for inviting me to post about the books on here after I emailed them.

Archived