Survey for Asexual Representation in Media Dissertation

EvaPilot

Hi everyone!

My name is Callum McCormack. I am an graysexual panromanic college student studying Film and Television Production in Dundalk Institute of Technology in Ireland. As part of my final year, I am required to write a final thesis on my chosen topic of Asexual Representation in Media. While research the literature on the topic I found that there wasn't much input how asexual representation from asexuals themselves. Therefore I decided to make this survey to get an idea of the opinion of the asexual community on this topic. I think it is vitally important that the voice of marginalized groups are heard when research is being conducted about them. 

Survey link: https://forms.gle/nXH7Go9vTAKDUPyw7

The survey should only take about 5 minutes. the survey is completely anonymous and you can edit your answers after if submitting should you want to make any changes. Also you can opt out of the research by contact me at my email: d00215901@student.dkit.ie . Thank you in advance for taking part if you should choose to.

Have a great day everyone!
Callum McCormack
d00215901@student.dkit.ie  

Sorry, I couldn't take part as I'm not a cinema goer and I don't own a TV 

Thank you so much! It means alot!:D

No problem oldgeeza! Thank you for stopping by!😄

FYI: this research request has been approved by the Project Team.

- michaeld (AVEN PT)

Black Tourmaline

well i don't really watch much western media but i answered the survey. the characters i could think of (DATA from Star Trek Next Gen, Aughra from Dark Crystal, Gandalf from Lord of the Rings) seem generally like the "other-worldly" genius/metaphysical types..."too cool for school" to be interested in such mundane activites...

as far as characters that are explicitly shown as approached sexually and directly rejecting sexual advances due to overt ace id, i don't know of any! are there some i don't know about? there are plenty of characters that aren't represented as sexual but that doesn't necessarily make them asexual (i.e. is Gumby asexual or just not represented sexually?)

from my personal experience with the few times that i came out to people, mostly it seems like your average person is either unaware or flat-out skeptical of asexuality as a thing that exists and i don't see it represented explicitly in popular media. a t.v. show with an out ace m.c. would be really helpful as far as visibility to non-ace people and also to help connect ace people that aren't yet self-aware.

On 3/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, Black Tourmaline said:

well i don't really watch much western media but i answered the survey. the characters i could think of (DATA from Star Trek Next Gen, Aughra from Dark Crystal, Gandalf from Lord of the Rings) seem generally like the "other-worldly" genius/metaphysical types..."too cool for school" to be interested in such mundane activites...

as far as characters that are explicitly shown as approached sexually and directly rejecting sexual advances due to overt ace id, i don't know of any! are there some i don't know about? there are plenty of characters that aren't represented as sexual but that doesn't necessarily make them asexual (i.e. is Gumby asexual or just not represented sexually?)

from my personal experience with the few times that i came out to people, mostly it seems like your average person is either unaware or flat-out skeptical of asexuality as a thing that exists and i don't see it represented explicitly in popular media. a t.v. show with an out ace m.c. would be really helpful as far as visibility to non-ace people and also to help connect ace people that aren't yet self-aware.

Thank you for answering! Yea from the research I've done there are very little explicitly asexual characters across media, even outside of the characters I already knew about. For the most part it is characters which are sort quasi-asexual like Sherlock or The Doctor who express what could be descirbe as asexual traits but as you said these characters are generally like genius type characters.

Even when asexuality is represented in the media it is generally in an attempt to question it or just say it isn't really. For example there is an episode of House that ends with the main character disapproving that two patients are asexual. Todd from Bojack Horseman is a character that explicitly states that he is asexual and is generally regarded as good representation of asexuality and the same goes for Voodoo in Sirens (although I think her asexuality is generally as a punchline from what I've read but I could be wrong I haven't actually seen it) so it looks like asexual representation in media is heading in a good direction at least!

On 3/9/2021 at 3:44 AM, ectoEcologist said:

Done, good luck with your thesis!

On 3/10/2021 at 1:06 AM, Dave70 said:

Done.

Thank you both very much! 

Update: The survey has now concluded! I would like to thank everyone who answered. It went so much better than I could have hoped thanks to your through answers. Again thank you all so much! Have a wonderful day!

Archived