Online Popularity

GingerRose

Is your mood affected by your popularity online? (likes, views, comments...)  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is your mood affected by your popularity online? (likes, views, comments...)

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No
    • N/A

This poll is closed to new votes

Should Likes Exist ? | Hacker Noon

I find myself oddly happy when 1300 strangers view a YouTube video I made.

• Like 1

I feel happy when I receive positive attention online, and if I post something that I hope will get attention and it doesn’t, I can feel a bit disappointed but I get over it pretty easily.
This applies to, like, tweets and replyes to AVEN threads. If it was something that required more time and effort like a YouTube video, the effects would be different.

• Like 7

Not really, no. I mean, it's nice to be acknowledged and all that, but I don't feel a strong need to be popular in any realm of life.

• Like 5
Grumpy Alien

I assume it would be if I ever experienced online popularity. My presence is extremely forgettable. There aren’t many AVENites who would even realise I’ve been around since 2013, for example. I have to say N/A.

• Like 1

For me, like @CBC said, it's nice to be acknowledged, but I don't obsess over it or let it control my self-esteem, like I used to when I was younger; it wasn't healthy for me, emotionally.

• Like 1
Clumsy Fairy

It seems that being popular is the most popular answer... That makes me smile.

EDIT: Spoke too soon.. Ooops.

Blue eyes white dragon

I don't care about being popular. But it does feel nice to have people care somewhat about you  

• Like 6

If I'm popular for good reasons then I'm happy. There's been times though when I've been popular for bad reasons (ie certain photos getting leaked to ...er.. 'questionable' websites) and that is absolutely not fun.

I'm the most active on AVEN, though I do occasionally post on Facebook and tiktok. 

There's definitely a boost of seratonin when I see a like or comment, but I won't  feel super bad if I don't.

I like interacting with people and getting positive feedback, but I don't completely rely on the internet for that.

• Like 3

If I cared much, I would've died long ago. At least I would have if it wasn't for the fact homicide is illegal.

I stuck around AVEN because it's interesting, and I do feel less lonely, not really for the likes and all. It's not so much about the popularity, but the entertainment value (I hope) and the company, especially in these trying times for many of us. Cakes and being able to be more open with sexuality is nice too.

Just a Quail

A very cliche answer, but I care more about meaningful interactions with people online than the number of likes and such. My artwork hardly ever gets more than 50 likes, but I don't even care because I always get at least one friend who leaves a nice comment. And the people who take the time to have nice conversations to me in our DMs?? That means everything to me 😢💖

• Like 5
Anarchist Kaos

It's probably because I'm not very active in social media in general but not really.

No, but AVEN is the only online forum I post on 

• Like 2
Forest Spirit

Don't care about popularity per se, but seeing people I care about caring about me (comments mostly, or "I've read your post"-likes) is nice for I guess obvious reasons. AVEN is however the only social-media-esque thing I use, if you don't count the handful of comments a year on YouTube

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

Not applicable because I don't use social media. Or, more precisely, only use them "passively" - I read updates from politicians, activists and game developers, but don't have any social media accounts.

The Abhorred

It's not that I need to see my posts count a lot of likes or views or see them reach the trending category that YouTube has for example, but I am saddened by the complete indifference I receive when I upload content for which I worked for a long time. 
What I would like the most is to find at least one other person who really likes what I am uploading.

As about my personal social media, I don't care at all, I know I'm the opposite of popular.

I don't rely on it, but getting a few likes does boost my mood a tiny bit. Being agreed with feels nice. 🙂

• Like 2
Oberon Jasper

I like to make others happy. Online or offline so it affects my mood to some extent because I "failed" to make someone happy.

I probably care a bit more about interaction than likes, although having a good amount of likes can make me go happy, especially if I was not expecting it.

phoenix_fire

I do get excited if something I post gets a lot of positive attention (like the time a video on my tiny YouTube channel somehow got 800 views!?)  And I love it when people comment on my Instagram posts.  However, the occurrences are so few and far between that I'm not expecting any interaction, so I'm not disappointed when I don't get any attention.

Nothing of this Youtube-Instaspam-Twatter-stuff actually matters, so no.

• Like 2
Black Tourmaline
10 hours ago, GingerRose said:

YouTube video I made.

i will check you out on YouTube. which Ginger Rose are you though (or is it a different channel name)?

I put N/A because I don't really post social media, except messages with my friends or some forums like this where it's able to get likes. When I get a like, sometimes its a mood booster, but I'm not expecting a certain number so can't really be disappointed if no one "likes" my messages.

Not in terms of anything personal, but in terms of not getting engagement with art I post, yeah, that gets me down sometimes and leaves me wondering what I'm doing wrong. That doesn't last long, at least.

Janus the Fox

Getting popular enough to get stuff done, gaining trust to fix things, getting popular to serve community.

AVEN pretty much my only place to be, mood don’t seem to change my popularity.  I don’t write negative stuff or whatever, I’m more of the support of other people’s mood :cake:

Obsessed_With_Dragons

My mood is somewhat affected. Although I try not to rely on other's opinions of me, this boost is like validation in the form, "Well, it'd be hubristic for me to say I did a good job myself, but all of these other people are saying I did a good job, so maybe I actually did." However, I have fortunately gotten better at not letting other people having a high opinion of me get me to have a high of myself, decreasing the amount of effect that popularity has on my mood.

Rhyn Corinn

Sometimes I get obsessive about hoping for more online interaction, but I think I've gotten overall less reliant on it in recent months. Whenever the "I don't belong in this universe and no one can relate to me" panic sets in is when I usually get desperate for attention. Thankfully I think it's been a while since that happened last.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

The only place I have ever been really popular online is here on AVEN. It only affects me in a way that it feels nice to be liked and appreciated y others.

I don't care about popularity for personal glory. That said, I do have a Twitch/YT where I stream with a friend and I'd love to get some views. It doesn't affect my mood when we don't, but it'd be a much better source of money than our jobs if we ever got that far.