How do I dress androgynous?

Gordon Hardcourt

Gordon Hardcourt

I need tips and ideas for  androgynous clothing and hair styles. Im amab, but I am agender and I really want to embrace that with my style. Im going to ease myself into it though with hair styles, so I can know what I like. Please any help would be appreciated. Also, i dont have money due to me still not having a job, even though im in hs

I feel like sometimes people seeking androgyny place too much emphasis on something being 'masculine' or 'feminine' ands trying to avoid that, and end up actually going for an entirely new very expensive and specific 'style' (in the same way Goth is a specific style, or Punk). 

In the spoiler (had to spoiler it as its huge) is a picture of what I'm talking about when I meet people going for an 'androgynous' look, so it's not masculine or feminine. To me personally, this look actually looks quite masculine. It's like, an active avoidance of anything remotely feminine and that's what's labelled 'androgynous' in this specific style. 

Spoiler

303_Grant_Androgynys_Spread11-e1526052381636.jpg

Whereas: I'm currently wearing grey pants with some holes in the knees (worn out, not the 'fashionable' kind) and a green shapeless baggy t-shirt I got for $2 at a thrift store because it was cheap. I bought a pile of them actually - they're the kind that can be worn by either a male-bodied person or a (big-chested) female-body person like myself with no fitting issues. Just a normal t-shirt. My hair is long but only because I don't cut it, and it's pretty unkempt because brushing takes effort. There is a dad who picks his kids up from the same school my kids are at and his hair looks exactly like mine because he also doesn't cut it and rarely brushes it. If we were cavemen, our hair would look a lot like how mine and his hair looks, lol. Whether I was amab or afab, I'd be wearing exactly these clothes and have exactly the same hair (because who can be bothered cutting hair?).

Technically that's as androgynous as one can be because either gender can wear these clothes without anyone blinking an eye besides thinking 'you should make more effort' (sigh), but it probably doesn't 'count' for some reason by the serious androgyny-appearance seekers!! I guess to be more stereotypically androgynous, I'd wear exactly what I'm wearing now but like, shave my hair off or something? That's effort though. haha.

Janus the Fox

I've tried mix and matching clothing, like a skirt with a t-shirt or jeans with a blouse.  For haircuts id went for a longer hair style style-able with curls while keeping the unclean shaven 4-oclock shadow beard and moustache.  Growing out hair is free with slightly more hygiene maintenance, curls are natural for me, so just needs a brush.  My clothes are just regular supermarket clothing, often on offers, rarely spending over like £30 on an item.  Some jeans of mine where actually my Mothers from her fitter, younger days, so 70s-80's skinny jeans that actually don't look out of place today.

But eventually, despite being agender, I've gone on to prefer a full feminine style, eventually identifying as part of the Female sex, MtF as an AMAB Intersex.  Despite going full Femme brand 'for Women' clothing, it don't look all that out of place on an AMAB, so when or if I do a physical transition, during the transition and after, it don't make me stand out and actually blend into the crowd naturally for me.

I try to dress according to the rules of tzunis.  Since I am AFAB, this means I have to wear a skirt that covers my knees and an elbow-length shirt that covers my collarbone.  There is actually a lot of room to maneuver within these rules.  I am wearing a skirt with a baggy t-shirt and sleevies (those are special sleeves you can buy if you don't want to wear an undershirt).  I feel like this is masculine enough for my taste, at least for now.  I suppose if I wanted to look even more masculine, I could wear a handkerchief instead of headscarves...but I love headscarves way too much for that. 

Archived