When someone has something on their face, what side of your face do you point to?

Knight of Cydonia

Which side of the face would you point to?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which side of the face would you point to?

• Analogous to where it is on your face (rotational symmetry)
    • Like a mirror (reflective symmetry)
    • Neither; you'd point to the other person's face

This poll is closed to new votes

Knight of Cydonia

Let's say a friend has something on their face and you want to let them know. You're standing face-to-face (not side-by-side).

Do you point to the side of your face it would be on if you were them (rotational symmetry), or like a mirror (reflective symmetry)?

I do the former, but almost every person I've talked to so far has assumed the latter.

I think I must do it analogously, because it always invariably results in the other person going for the wrong side first.

VeryAsexyIndeed
5 minutes ago, SocialMorays said:

I think I must do it analogously, because it always invariably results in the other person going for the wrong side first.

Sometimes I do it analogously and sometimes like a mirror, but somehow they always go

for the wrong side first, idk how they do it, especially my brother, I have to literally poke his face sometimes

I don't understand this question, i simply point to where the thing is on their face

i don't point anywhere else

Depends who, certain people I know understand mirroring better, some rotation, but for people I don't know so well I'd just describe where it is, and/or point.

I do all 3, sometimes with verbal description of where, especially if they’re not doing it I’ll give each option a try lol

Anthracite_Impreza

Um, where it would be on theirs, but that usually takes me so long to figure out I just end up verbally directing anyway.

RoseGoesToYale

I'd point to their face and tell them where whatever it is is.

I point to their face. The only time I don’t is if we’re in public and I think they’d be embarrassed. Then I’m more discrete and touch my face exactly where the thing is on their face while saying “your right cheek” or whatever

First choice for me would usually be to tell them verbally (like, "you have something on your right cheek" or whatever the case may be). If I couldn't do that for some reason I guess I'd point to the same location on my face.

Grey-Ace Ventura

I have serious trouble with my own left and right, so figuring that out and then figuring it out on the other person's face would just be insanity. I point with reflective symmetry and usually they go to the correct side

Knight of Cydonia

So pointing at the other person is the most common answer so far; interesting!

Pointing to the other person's face might be less ambiguous, but I'd think it would be way less accurate if you're a more than a certain distance away. 

Also I kind of feel uncomfortable pointing at someone else; I'd rather point at myself.

28 minutes ago, kyon. said:

I just lick it off, like a cat

Even if it’s a family member

Most of the people I've done this for seem to respond better to mirrored, so I use that. Analogous makes more sense to me though.

Unless it's a closer friend. They can keep that on their face for the next week.

22 minutes ago, Acerna said:

Even if it’s a family member

It depends which ones. Some of them, I just wouldn't tell them it was there and I'd let them walk around looking silly.

None, I'd tell them exactly where it is, so they're not rubbing the wrong side

everywhere and nowhere

Why should I point if I can say? It's much simpler: for example "Hey, you have some remainder of the cake on your right cheek". ;)

spooky_moss

I'd never consciously thought about it before, but I do the analogous (rotational symmetry) way. People usually check the wrong side of their face first though. Maybe I should try the other way!

I point at their face, usually also offer to remove said thing. 😗

i do all three because the other person always rubs the wrong side first, then missing it entirely even if they have the right side. XD

• 11 months later...

@Knight of Cydonia

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived