• I have a master's degree
    • I have a PHD
    • I have a doctoral degree
    • I have a license in my field of study
    • I have a certificate in my field of study
    • I have a minor in a field related to my study
    • I have been on the Dean's list
    • I have been on the President's list
    • I have been a member of an academic honor society or academic Greek society
    • I have been a member of an association related to my field of study
    • I have an award relating to my field of study
    • I have been given scholarships related to my field of study

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, spooky_moss said:

I totally get that. The school I'm at has an excellent scholarship you can get each year if your previous year's average was above a certain grade. I spent a lot of time each year despairing over whether I'd make the cut-off. The thing is, I wasn't even desperate for the money. I could have gotten by just fine with a reduced scholarship or no scholarship and instead paying with summer job money and extra loans. This year my grades aren't going towards any scholarship (since I'm graduating this year) and I've been trying to try less hard on my schoolwork, but it's tough to go against that perfectionist nature that so often makes me life more difficult for no reason.

It sucks that you would need a degree to advance even though you know what you're doing when it comes to computer science! I wish jobs placed more values on experience and skills.

Yeah, the perfectionist drive is hard to overcome.  That memory of me crying over a potential A-?  I had already secured a job post-graduation at that point.  Why would I care?  My employer wasn't going to, and I had no one left to impress.  It's hard to turn your brain off...  hardwired, I guess, even though it makes no sense.

I was actually saying the opposite about a degree in computer science ;- )  Computer science degrees are highly theoretical; the job itself is very applied.  So it's not necessary to have a degree.  I think it makes getting your foot in the door easier, but it's definitely not required, and once you're in, it's all about the experience and not the degree in terms of advancement.  It's one of the few skilled fields where you can bootstrap yourself.

Anthracite_Impreza
19 hours ago, CBC said:

I'm uhhh... existing...

And I'm very glad you are.

Was also "gifted" in school, got 7(?) As, a B and a C overall, A levels in history and biology, whatever they count as (completely failed physics because maths and me and my teacher mutually hated each other) and level 2 motor vehicle maintanance. Never considered uni, don't need it, crashed as soon as I hit "adulthood" anyway. The most important test I ever passed was my driving one.

On 2/26/2021 at 3:01 PM, GingerRose said:

Yep, the complicated American school system.

Okay yeah. I didn't not even try to do anything more than High school because i know that I am not capable of handling it.

Forest Spirit
18 hours ago, daveb said:

I know a good number of very intelligent and/or very educated (in a self-taught or non-traditional) way, so, while I am proud of my own achievements I know others have trod their own paths and are very knowledgeable and/or accomplished.

Very true. Also having diplomas doesn't actually have to mean you feel knowledgeable or accomplished (I certainly don't about my uni diplomas)

spooky_moss
14 hours ago, cato said:

I was actually saying the opposite about a degree in computer science ;- )  Computer science degrees are highly theoretical; the job itself is very applied.  So it's not necessary to have a degree.  I think it makes getting your foot in the door easier, but it's definitely not required, and once you're in, it's all about the experience and not the degree in terms of advancement.  It's one of the few skilled fields where you can bootstrap yourself.

OH oops I misread your first post! That's great that you ARE able to get in with the experience you have:)

J. van Deijck

No idea how it goes anywhere else, but I'm yet another university dropout. After that, I picked an additional education and got a technician diploma in electricity. I also have a technician diploma in IT sciences from high school, and another diploma from final exams that allows me to continue studying in the university. So technically, I can continue my education and I have two professions already.

I have a Bachelor's Degree. I had a scholarship for playing oboe at the university I got that degree from. I have been on the Dean's and President's lists before. The further into my college years I have got (my adulthood education has been kinda spread out for various reasons), the much better I have done academically.

• 11 months later...

@GingerRose

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived