Consumerism and Capitalism?

Naiwen

Anyone annoyed by it at all personally? I love frugal living. My joy is to give my money and things away to the poorer than I, because I know I'm lucky enough to have a roof over my head, food and drinks down my stomach, clothes on my back and can do anything I want within the law of course. And that in my book, brings me much greater joy than costly material things, except jewelry, but I'm not extravagant on spending. What can you do with a fixed and low income monthly anyways? With just barely enough to make ends meet and not be in debt, I'm grateful for it and yet have never asked for more. I even give myself to charities the things and spare money I have no use for personally. The joy to give, or to put a smile on another person's face, is greater than my own wants and desires in my book. I just want to love myself a little more, my body and mind a lot more, accept myself a lot more too. Already doing better with it, with 8-9 years in therapy, but aiming to cope with my darkness, a lot better, to overcome hardships and annoyances without feeling anything about it myself. I just want a most peaceful and quiet life personally. What do you want from life yourself personally? What's happiness to you yourself?

Oberon Jasper

Happiness is an abstract concept. I like to read so I buy books and find happiness in them, I also find happiness in helping others by buying them food when I can, then again... making art makes me feel happy as well... happiness is complex and fleeting to me. I don't want much... just to love and be loved (cheesy, but it is important to me and that can be filled in either platonically or romantically in terms of love). I just want to exist without stress and issues... an unrealistic and impossible goal.

For me stuff does not make me happy, it’s actually stressful to have to much stuff.  I have a saying I use for myself...keep it simple, stupid.  I get happiness by helping someone or meeting their needs.  I definitely am not the type that needs the newest, latest, largest or greatest.

Black Tourmaline

"desire is the root of all suffering", according to some dude from India back in the day ;) i prefer a simple (some might say ascetic) lifestyle. i eat very little (small amounts of fruit, seeds and nuts throughout the day and a salad a couple times a week). i don't drink, i don't go out, i don't generally buy things. i only work 3 days a week because i want to have more time to study Torah. i do buy Torah books because i will use them throughout this life and into the next one. i like to buy music when i can because i feel it's important to support the musicians financially that support us emotionally, especially right now when live gigs are not happening for them. like some dude from Minnesota said, "All of us at times, we might work too hard / Too heavy, too fast and too much / And anyone can fill their life up with things / They can see but just cannot touch". as long as my relationship with Jah is right, i got no problems. happy enough living on 12,000 a year. did you know the suicide rate is higher amongst rich people than poor people? that tell you something right there.

Things that make me happy : working towards my financial goals for retirement, volunteering and my PC. I think consumerism can easily work against happiness. It can lead to dependancies, like getting hooked on shopping. It seldom deliver on its promises. Just look at the ads here and there : beer commercial filled with sex, cleaning products promising to make chores effortless, etc.

31 minutes ago, Phalena said:

I am critical of capitalism but from my historical knowledge I can't say we've had any better system, it seems.

I think it is worth noting that this is generally what most people have thought about the political and economic frameworks they lived within for the large majority of human history. Serfs weren't thrilled with their lot necessarily, but they had the protection of a lord and some land to work, better than being run down on the road by bandits.

They weren't at the end of history, and there's no real reason to think that we are now either.

6 hours ago, Phalena said:

I am critical of capitalism but from my historical knowledge I can't say we've had any better system, it seems.

16 minutes ago, Epic Tetus said:

They weren't at the end of history, and there's no real reason to think that we are now either.

"We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings."

-- Ursula K. Le Guin

I think Capitalism keeps its worldwide stranglehold due to the influence of two factors, the first being the fear of losing all access to basic necessities like food, shelter, healthcare and general safety from random violence, and the second being the ever-alluring promise of attaining so much wealth as to never have to worry about potentially losing these things, with the added bonus of having access to your every material desire. This second one is of course "the American Dream", to become so rich that you no longer want for anything.

That desire for wealth I consider problematic in every way, and in honesty have little sympathy for. I try not to have a great deal of animosity for any broad swaths of humans or human behavior if I can help it, but I really feel as if the desire for wealth (or more accurately, let's just call it greed) is nothing but a harmful influence in the world. I know some people think it drives ambition and innovation ... I just think that entire perspective is fundamentally flawed.

The fear of becoming destitute, on the other hand, I can relate to viscerally, and I cannot fault anyone at all for being susceptible to it. The fact is that the vast majority of the human race struggle with having all of their basic needs met, just as a basic fact of their lives. This has in fact been true for most human, throughout history. However, I believe that technology has advanced far enough that we would be able to provide the necessities for everyone through cooperative effort and compromise, far more effectively than through the competitive model of Capitalism. The challenge is to get everyone -- or the majority at least -- to believe this, as well.

Well, then to figure out what to do with those motivated by greed, because unfortunately, I do think there will always be some of them.

I'm sure some people use it as a crutch as well to bolster their low self-esteem.

9 hours ago, Phalena said:

And you can't possibly imagine a better system because one hasn't existed before? For example, one where everyone was guaranteed sustenance and a place to live?

Because I think it's a fucking disgrace that we haven't reached that point in the year 2021.

When it comes to systems of government, I think they're only as good as the people in them.

9 hours ago, Still said:

And you can't possibly imagine a better system because one hasn't existed before? For example, one where everyone was guaranteed sustenance and a place to live?

Because I think it's a fucking disgrace that we haven't reached that point in the year 2021.

The thing is: on paper, many other systems look better. Have they ever been created in that image? Yeah... but not really. By now I'm more of a: 'learn how to use the system to the best of your abilities' rather than 'try to tear it down'. Option number two is possible but simply not ripe. Here in Germany, for the longest time, people could see that the benefits of capitalism decreased for the majority. But nobody really cared "I'm doing well, so why should I protest?". Nothing will change. Not until the majority of 'losers' within the system realise their potential power as a mass. And even then we have to be carfeful not to re-enact history.

Archived