Closeness with Parents

GingerRose

How close are you with your parents? (subjective on purpose)  

108 members have voted

1. 1. How close are you with your parents? (subjective on purpose)

• VERY CLOSE
    • Close
    • Close-ish
    • Not close
    • NOT CLOSE AT ALL
    • N/A

This poll is closed to new votes

J. van Deijck

Close with my dad, not very close with my mum. That's it.

Close. I like spending time with them, and still join them on holidays every now and then (well, I drag them to concerts, and we make a city trip out of it :lol: ) 

Knight of Cydonia

I feel grateful to be close to both my parents. My mom is one of the kindest and most generous people I know, and my dad in particular has always been unquestionably accepting and supportive through my struggles with gender identity and expression. They're an integral part of my support circle even today, and I miss them dearly now that I live out of the country.

riskygamble

Sometimes too close for comfort but I'm slowly working on distancing myself from them. My entire family situation is broken and muddied up and my parents actions are to blame for a huge portion of why that is.

I'm very close with my parents now, much more than I used to be, and I think that's actually been aided by living with them during lockdown. I went through periods of significant distance with both of them several years ago, which were mostly the result of issues on my end that I had to work through, but nowadays, after spending so much more time with them, I'm able to appreciate them and love them for who they are -- not just as parents, but as people. I'm very grateful for that.

I'm not close to mine and never really have been. 

They're in my life, but most of my acquaintances know more about me than they do.

On 2/23/2021 at 4:08 PM, Blue Eyes White Dragon said:

My dad and I are close, but we aren't emotionally really close and he can get on my nerves sometimes. It's more of similar interests and playing around type closeness. My mom and I, well the less said is better. We do love each other, but it is really not the best relationship. I have to hide a lot of my true self around my parent still

I have something like this with my mom. My mom and I (actually, my family) have similar interests with the shows we watch (leaning towards sci-fi more than any other genre) and we would watch stuff while eating lunch or dinner. We would also go and watch movies in the cinema together. Our fam chat is only noisy when there's a new show/movie that we're into. (most recently like Mandalorian), otherwise, it's quite dead. 😅 We would go out to eat when we feel like it (my mom and I are both homebodies so lockdown was not much different to how we were before 😅) and we can talk a lot about various topics, except, of course, about our emotions and feelings. lol My family has this unspoken agreement to not talk about any of those things. Feelings? What feelings? 😮 😅

• 2 weeks later...
Anomaly Q3Xr

I am not particularly close to either, due to my mother leaving when I was 8, and dad just never really spending any time with us as kids (he spent all the time he could with my youngest brother who is now a spoilt selfish person, and the rest of us were just left to it or dumped with other family members.

I have had times where I was not on speaking terms with either, but I am on somewhat limited speaking terms with both now. Mum just causes my anxiety to hit the roof with her obsessive and suffocating behaviour, and Dad we talk every few weeks or so (he took me to get my Covid vaccine today).  I find relationships difficult with anybody, there is only my partner and probably two other people I feel genuinely close to, anyone else I can take or leave.

emotionally, i'm not close to my parents at all, but that's probably my fault cause i don't like opening up to people, and if i do, i don't open up entirely, i'm just not that type of person. also, i don't really talk much, so talking to my parents who always force me to talk to them more is quite suffocating and frustrating at times. 

Jayce Longstrider

Very close with my mother who's been extremely accepting and supportive. Somewhat close with my father, but there's still some distance there, even though he doesn't really understand ace-ness and all that, he still tries his best to be respectful about it and supportive in his more stoic way. I've always been grateful that they're my parents and I know that if I ever truly need anything from/of them, they'll do everything in their power to help me out, and I would do the same for them.

• 11 months later...

@GingerRose

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived