みなさん、こんにちは!

@SpadeHood Is that the same as LingoDeer? I found it very useful but didn't want to pay for it, as I learn better with physical media. =/ 

@nazokashiiThat's quite a goal! Keep at it ;) And that's a good attitude to have. I have such a problem with wanting things to be perfect that I have to constantly remind myself it's okay to make mistakes. That's one of the ways we learn. I tell myself, "You've been speaking English for 30 years. Of course you can't speak Japanese as well as your native language." (And I know a lot of obscure English words lol...) I would like to get to near native fluency though. I too love languages and learning in general, which is why I want to learn so many. I never want to stop learning. When I was younger, I sat and read the dictionary everyday. That was how much I loved learning. ^^; Anyway, keep at your goals. I hope one day you have a little more free time so you can study more. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SorenRL said:

Is that the same as LingoDeer? I found it very useful but didn't want to pay for it, as I learn better with physical media. =/ 

Yeah, that's the one! ^_^

I always say that wrong, sorry about that. 😅

I like both physical and digital media! I mostly have Japanese physical books to learn from; but, I once bought a Modern Greek pocket size dictionay from a local store on some College campus. I still have it! ^_^

It was like 5$; so cheep! ^_^

I was surprised to see it there, because languages like that are so hard to find learning material on.

2 hours ago, SpadeHood said:

Yeah, that's the one! ^_^

I always say that wrong, sorry about that. 😅

I like both physical and digital media! I mostly have Japanese physical books to learn from; but, I once bought a Modern Greek pocket size dictionay from a local store on some College campus. I still have it! ^_^

It was like 5$; so cheep! ^_^

I was surprised to see it there, because languages like that are so hard to find learning material on.

That's amazing! I used to have a Spanish dictionary, since I took Spanish in college (not sure why I'm just remembering that now haha). I actually took up Spanish twice. I learned intermediate as a child, about 10 years old, then I took two years in college. 

I also had an essential Japanese kanji book, which I'm mad I no longer have. It had the 2000 most commonly used everyday kanji. It would be really useful right now. I'll have to get another one.

I'm surprised it's hard to find material to learn Greek. I read there are over 5 million words in the Greek language, and that it's in the Guinness book of world records. 😮 Idk if it's true but if it is, it's really cool. 

That's amazing! I used to have a Spanish dictionary, since I took Spanish in college (not sure why I'm just remembering that now haha). I actually took up Spanish twice. I learned intermediate as a child, about 10 years old, then I took two years in college. 

I also had an essential Japanese kanji book, which I'm mad I no longer have. It had the 2000 most commonly used everyday kanji. It would be really useful right now. I'll have to get another one.

I'm surprised it's hard to find material to learn Greek. I read there are over 5 million words in the Greek language, and that it's in the Guinness book of world records. 😮 Idk if it's true but if it is, it's really cool. 

Wow! Intermediate in Spanish at 10 years old?!

That's incredible!

Hmm. . .do you remember the name of the Kanji book?

24 minutes ago, SpadeHood said:

Wow! Intermediate in Spanish at 10 years old?!

That's incredible!

Hmm. . .do you remember the name of the Kanji book?

Yep, I don't think it was all that incredible because at 10 years old, there's not much up there LOL. So language acquisition is easier because there's nothing to distract you.

The book is called Essential Kanji: 2,000 Basic Japanese Characters Systematically Arranged for Learning and Reference by P.G. O'Neill. (Link on Amazon here, which is where I purchased it initially.) I'm thinking of buying it again, but I will also look into others to make an informed decision.

Oh, I see. I remember seeing that book a long time ago (on Amazon)

I think I have a better kanji book! 😃

It's called: A Guide to Reading and Writing Japanese.

It has 2,136 characters!

But I haven't used it yet. . . 😅

@SpadeHood Thanks so much! It is on my list. I looked at it and read a few reviews. (Will read more later.) I like that it gives the stroke order of each character.

Can you look up words according to their English definition, or do you have to know the Japanese word? 

@SpadeHood Thanks so much! It is on my list. I looked at it and read a few reviews. (Will read more later.) I like that it gives the stroke order of each character.

Can you look up words according to their English definition, or do you have to know the Japanese word? 

I just took a look at my copy!

There are three ways too look up Kanji: Radicals, stroke number, and readings (I think kun-reading and on-reading is placed together).

Sorry, there's no way to search by English definition. . . ☹️

こんばんは、ソレンさん!ぼくも日本語を勉強していたけど、今もうしてないです。でも、日本語はとても面白い言語ので、今からもがんばってくださいね!

I can read and write Japanese okay, but I haven't had a spoken Japanese conversation Japanese in over a year so I'm pretty rusty I'm afraid.

Any interest in visiting Japan in the future? Also, I'd love to know why you started studying Japanese.

• Like 1
harmonic turquoise

Hi, I'm happy that there are many people who like Japanese. I'm Japanese so usually speak Japanese.

I'm writing a comment on AVEN's site these days to practice English. And I collect asexual information.

Maybe there is some mistakes in my text, but I try not to worry too much.

I think it's enough if we can communicate with each other.

Like you, I learned many languages, German,  French and Italian. Though I almost forgot.

The pronunciation of foreign languages always fascinates me. I love both the language of my country and foreign languages.

I'm a little relieved to come here. It is difficult to learn a foreign language.

みなさんも日本語の勉強をがんばってくださいね。応援しています。
わたしもがんばります。あなたたちの日本語、素晴らしいです。

• Like 2
On 2/22/2021 at 9:57 PM, HakunaKatana said:

Any interest in visiting Japan in the future? Also, I'd love to know why you started studying Japanese.

(Sorry about the late reply! I didn't see your message until now.)

Yes, I want to visit Japan. Maybe next year if they are letting Americans in the country by then. (They weren't the last time I looked, and I don't blame them.)

I started studying because I met two Japanese people as a teenager, one was my age and the other was an older lady. In learning more about them, I fell in love with their culture and language. The older woman sort of adopted me and started teaching me Japanese, and I never forgot that. She died but she was one of my best friends. A part of me feels like I'm honoring her by continuing to learn her language. 

• Like 2
harmonic turquoise

Studying a foreign language will enrich our mind. I am also studying a foreign language and many people helped me.
I met people from various countries. To everyone who taught me English, I am grateful.

Covit-19が収束したら、みなさん、ぜひ日本に遊びにきてください😉

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I can atleast say I've been on and off with studying by myself for the last 15 or so years at this point despite not having a change to properly learn ... xD

• Like 1
BunchOBees

こんにちわ!私は高校のクラスで2年日本語おべんきょしました。

I’m not very good at Japanese, especially not speaking it (although I can blame that on my horrible social anxiety) but it’s such an interesting and beautiful language. I hope to go to Japan one day once my social skills and Japanese speaking have improved.

My school year just ended, and I don’t want to forget everything I learned about Japanese verb conjugation and grammar over the summer. If anyone has any ideas of what I could do/use to study for a few months I would really appreciate it! Reading material, podcasts, workbooks, etc.

• Like 1
harmonic turquoise

I am very happy to hear you say that Japanese is a beautiful language. I think the best way to learn a language is to communicate with people who are native speakers.  I have never been to an English-speaking country. Now I am learning English by exchanging emails in English with a person I have met here. The person is very eccentric, but corrects my written English for free, for which I am grateful.

• Like 3