みなさん、こんにちは!

はじめまして!ソレンともうします。日本語を学んでいます。どうぞよろしくお願いいたします!

友達になりましょう!

• Like 5

Awesome!

I like Japanese as well; and LOVE seeing others people studying the language! ^_^

Linguist UNITE! ^_^

• Like 1

Hi Soren! I'm also dabbling a little bit in Japanese, and I'm thinking about re-starting lessons after lockdown or something, as I've picked up quite a lot from anime at this point.. haha. Nice to see others interested in the language as well 👍

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, SpadeHood said:

Awesome!

I like Japanese as well; and LOVE seeing others people studying the language! ^_^

Linguist UNITE! ^_^

I love to see others who are studying too ^^ How long have you been studying?

15 minutes ago, Padparadscha said:

Hi Soren! I'm also dabbling a little bit in Japanese, and I'm thinking about re-starting lessons after lockdown or something, as I've picked up quite a lot from anime at this point.. haha. Nice to see others interested in the language as well 👍

Cool. Now is the best time to learn. Are you using anything in particular to study?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, SorenRL said:

I love to see others who are studying too ^^ How long have you been studying?

I've been studying Japanese on and off since I was 11 years old!

But then OTHER languages came in, and I got sorta distracted by them. . . 😅

Like Modern Greek for example!

I learn to read it in like two days!

Greek reminds me of English: so, I guess that's why it took me two days to be able to read it pretty decent.

I'm no pro, But I am ABLE to read greek.

Can I understand it? Not really! 🤣 lol!

Two years before the Corona virus, I learned to read Korean (I was hard for me. . .).

I need to brush up on the Hangeul script (Korean alphbet; but perhaps you know this already 😃).

I BARELY have to  restudy the Greek alphabet, though! ^_^ That's how easy it is for me to remember!

I can read the Arabic alphabet; But I'm slowly losing the ability to read it, because I can't find any practice material (Believe me, it's hard to find).

So yeah. . .I sort of given up on Arabic, lol! 😅

And that's why I'm distracted! T_T

I can read and write the Hiragana alphabet, But I don't know how to read and write the katakana one well.

And Kanji? Well. . .I know some Kanji, but not much.

I know SOME radical (and that makes looking up the ones I don't know easier!), but not TOO many.

I should probably focus MORE on Japanese, BUT I bought a 80$ Amharic 101 program; and it's just sitting there, so... it might take a while! 🤣

Edited by SpadeHood
  • Like 2
Grey-Ace Ventura

ようこそ、ソレンさん!日本語は、とてもたのして、おもしろいですから、ぼくも日本語をべんきょうしています。一年生ですから、クラスは、二つがありました。

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Grey-Ace Ventura said:

Ah! I know enough Japanese to know that you welcomed Soren (ようこそ), and that you told Soren you're ALSO studying Japanese (ぼくも日本語をべんきょうしています); all without using Google translate my friend! ^_^

Ah...yep! 😁

• Like 2

I don't know how to access other languages for typing, but: konbanwa! :)

I took Japanese in high school, and have been using DuoLingo this last year. I'm not good at it, but it's fun, and I've been slowly getting better. ^^" Welcome to Aven!!! 

• Like 1

Welcome to AVEN! :cake:

I've been studying Japanese a bit on the side for a few years (not very consistently though) but I love every option for me to try and read it! Since I'm only familiar with Hiragana at the moment, I can't really read your whole text but I still wanted to say it's great to meet you too!

Here is a cake for you (we always offer newcomers some):

https://authentiquebites.net/cakes/designer3d-cakes/wedding-anniversary-inspirations/

Wedding & Anniversary Cake Inspirations | Order Wedding ...

• Like 2

*GASP*
私も日本語を勉強しています!でも下手です。あまり話しません

• Like 1
Forest Spirit

おはようございます、はじめまして。おげんきですか

にほんごわうつくしいですけど、むずかしい。

This is probably all I can manage right now (and it's probably not correct😅 I'm so out of any practise). Started teaching it to myself in 2015 but then university came in the way, but will continue once I'm at a high level in the language I started a few months ago which is 100 times closer to my mother tongue so relatively easy to learn🙈

• Like 2

はしめまして!AVENへようこそ。三ヶ月間、私も日本語を勉強しています。

And that is my limit... I wanted to write "I'm really enjoying it" but that is beyond my newbie skills 😆 Anyone with more knowledge please do point out any mistakes! How are you learning? I'm loving Wanikani!

Forest Spirit
17 minutes ago, theV0ID said:

How are you learning? I'm loving Wanikani!

Didn't know of Wanikani before, thanks!

I've used the app "Human Japanese" for grammar, sentence structure, vocab and just many many explanations and then "Kanji Study" and "JA Sensei" for writing/vocab. Together with the textbook series from "Living Language". Just need more time and brain power for it😁

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

Didn't know of Wanikani before, thanks!

I've used the app "Human Japanese" for grammar, sentence structure, vocab and just many many explanations and then "Kanji Study" and "JA Sensei" for writing/vocab. Together with the textbook series from "Living Language". Just need more time and brain power for it😁

I highly recommend it, my kanji knowledge is flying ahead of everything else thanks to Wanikani. I'm just using Duolingo for the rest at the moment.

Alejandrogynous

はじめまして。私も日本語を勉強しています。二年半ぐらいしています。wanikaniはすごく役に立って、よく使います。

Wanikani's awesome, I use it all the time. I also love HelloTalk, which is a social media app for language exchange. It's great practice. 

• Like 2

For anyone studying Japanese, especially beginners, I highly recommend the YouTube channel Japanese Ammo With Misa. Most of what I know is from her, she’s fantastic.

• Like 3
Forest Spirit
5 hours ago, theV0ID said:

I highly recommend it, my kanji knowledge is flying ahead of everything else thanks to Wanikani. I'm just using Duolingo for the rest at the moment.

Will keep it in mind! I tried dabbling into radicals for a bit but then decided I should probably manage to form full sentences without much overthinking first😅

4 hours ago, Alejandrogynous said:

HelloTalk, which is a social media app for language exchange. It's great practice. 

^anxiety intensifies^🙈

• Like 2
12 hours ago, SpadeHood said:

I've been studying Japanese on and off since I was 11 years old!

But then OTHER languages came in, and I got sorta distracted by them. . . 😅

Like Modern Greek for example!

I learn to read it in like two days!

Greek reminds me of English: so, I guess that's why it took me two days to be able to read it pretty decent.

I'm no pro, But I am ABLE to read greek.

Can I understand it? Not really! 🤣 lol!

Two years before the Corona virus, I learned to read Korean (I was hard for me. . .).

I need to brush up on the Hangeul script (Korean alphbet; but perhaps you know this already 😃).

I BARELY have to  restudy the Greek alphabet, though! ^_^ That's how easy it is for me to remember!

I can read the Arabic alphabet; But I'm slowly losing the ability to read it, because I can't find any practice material (Believe me, it's hard to find).

So yeah. . .I sort of given up on Arabic, lol! 😅

And that's why I'm distracted! T_T

I can read and write the Hiragana alphabet, But I don't know how to read and write the katakana one well.

And Kanji? Well. . .I know some Kanji, but not much.

I know SOME radical (and that makes looking up the ones I don't know easier!), but not TOO many.

I should probably focus MORE on Japanese, BUT I bought a 80$ Amharic 101 program; and it's just sitting there, so... it might take a while! 🤣

まじか、you sound like me when I was younger. I learned to read modern Greek as well because I just loved the way it looked. I also learned to read ancient Egyptian. xD

Sounds like you love to learn to read languages! I started studying hangul but stopped. It is on my list to learn. I want to learn several languages eventually. Japanese first, then Spanish and German, then Korean. 

Right now I'm learning kanji and radicals. It's not as hard as I thought it would be so far. Knowing the stroke order of kanji makes it a lot easier to remember for me. 

Yeah, definitely work on the other language first if you purchased a lesson plan/course for it. がんばって!

12 hours ago, Grey-Ace Ventura said:

ありがとうございます!どうやって勉強していますか? クラスはもっていますか?あなたの日本語は上手です!

11 hours ago, Sean_Bird said:

I took Japanese in high school, and have been using DuoLingo this last year. I'm not good at it, but it's fun, and I've been slowly getting better. ^^" Welcome to Aven!!! 

(今ここは朝です)おはようございます!I think you can Google how. You need to download something to be able to do it. でも、むずかしいじゃない。

I didn't have much success with DuoLingo but I'm glad it's working for you. ええ、とてもたのしいです!I'm learning slowly too. 

ありがとうございました!

11 hours ago, Faleeria said:

Welcome to AVEN! :cake:

I've been studying Japanese a bit on the side for a few years (not very consistently though) but I love every option for me to try and read it! Since I'm only familiar with Hiragana at the moment, I can't really read your whole text but I still wanted to say it's great to meet you too!

Here is a cake for you (we always offer newcomers some):

https://authentiquebites.net/cakes/designer3d-cakes/wedding-anniversary-inspirations/

Wedding & Anniversary Cake Inspirations | Order Wedding ...

おいしいそう~ ありがとうございました!

(That looks delicious~ Thank you very much!)

Here is my text in only hiragana/katakana. (ソレン is my name, Soren)

はじめまして!ソレンともうします。にほんごをまなんでいます。どうぞよろしくおねがいたします!

ともだちになりましょう!

(Let's be friends!)

10 hours ago, Artemis42 said:

*GASP*
私も日本語を勉強しています!でも下手です。あまり話しません

まじか、あなたは話す練習をしましょう!Do you have any way to practice speaking? Talk to yourself if you have to. XD

7 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

おはようございます、はじめまして。おげんきですか

ほんごわうつくしいですけど、むずかしい。

This is probably all I can manage right now (and it's probably not correct😅 I'm so out of any practise). Started teaching it to myself in 2015 but then university came in the way, but will continue once I'm at a high level in the language I started a few months ago which is 100 times closer to my mother tongue so relatively easy to learn🙈

いいえ、あなたのにほんごはじょうずです!

Oh? What's your mother tongue and the language you're learning?

5 hours ago, theV0ID said:

はしめまして!AVENへようこそ。三ヶ月間、私も日本語を勉強しています。

And that is my limit... I wanted to write "I'm really enjoying it" but that is beyond my newbie skills 😆 Anyone with more knowledge please do point out any mistakes! How are you learning? I'm loving Wanikani!

ありがとうございました!ほんとうに!三ヶ月間私も日本語を勉強しています!

You can say " とてもたのしいです" which means "it's very fun". 

I am a workbook kind of person, so I'm learning with the books Learning the Kanji vol 1 (teaches all JLPT N5 kanji), and Japanese From Zero book 1. I recommend them both. They're easy to understand and affordable on Amazon. XD I've heard of Wanikani but I prefer paper books to online studying; I learn better. But I've only heard good things about it. ^^;

• Like 5
Forest Spirit
7 minutes ago, SorenRL said:

いいえ、あなたのにほんごはじょうずです!

Oh? What's your mother tongue and the language you're learning?

Good to hear!

German, and learning Norwegian atm😊

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

Good to hear!

German, and learning Norwegian atm😊

Very cool. I want to learn German after I learn Japanese. I started learning it a couple of years ago and it was very easy because of similarities to English. 

But, one thing at a time. :D 

がんべって!

• Like 2

@SorenRL I write tweets in Japanese using speech to text sometimes (though I never have anything to say lol), and I have a friend who’s learning the language too so we have conversations in it sometimes. I gotta work on practicing more consistently lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SorenRL said:

まじか、you sound like me when I was younger. I learned to read modern Greek as well because I just loved the way it looked. I also learned to read ancient Egyptian. xD

*GASP*! You studied Ancient Egyptian?! 🤯

I use to LOVE everything Egyptian when I was a child! 😃

There art work is SO nice!

I'm kinda skeptical about learning dead languages, But I REALLY admire it when other people do it! ^_^

Ancient Egyptians script seem WAY nicer than the Arabic script the use now. . . 'cause you know, they have little birds as letters and what not! 😅

Back when I was growing up, the internet had almost NOTHING AVAILABLE for language learning (I could find ASL vocab and SOME Japanese lessons, but that was it).

But now, yeah... we've come a long way.

Apps, game, cheep E-book and etc. These knew kids coming up got it all! ☹️

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sean_Bird said:

You wanna know how to type in Japanese?

Download an IME keyboard!

I have an IME for: Japanese, Korean, Greek; Lao and Amharic!

I can't even read Lao and Amharic yet, But I have them! ^_^

• Like 2

ええ、まじですか、日本語を勉強している人はAVENにそんなにたくさんいますか?すごいですね!喜んでいます。スウェーデン人ですけど、4年前日本に日本語を9ヶ月勉強していました。あまり話すや書くなどの練習がないけれど、今もたくさん音楽を聴いてるのでまだまあまあ覚えています。

では、ソレンさん、AVENへようこそ!ここにたくさんの人を出会ったり、思い出を作ったりするのを祈っています。

他の皆んなさんも、日本語を楽しんでいる勉強してくださいね。よろしくお願いいたします。

spacer.png

(Oh, and by the way, for anyone looking for a good Japanese grammar learning guide, this one is great: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar)

(Another useful thing is to use a browser plug-in for reading kanji, something like Rikaichamp for Firefox for example ^^)

• Like 4
Grey-Ace Ventura
22 hours ago, SorenRL said:

ありがとうございます!どうやって勉強していますか? クラスはもっていますか?あなたの日本語は上手です!

ありがとうございます!ええ、クラスがありますね。ぼくのせんこうは、コンピューターですが、日本語のクラスはもっています。日本語が大すきですから。ソレンさんも、クラスはもっていますか。あなたの日本語もとてもいいです!

• Like 1

I’m envious of some people’s ability here to string multiple Japanese sentences together lmao. I think my grammar is okay, but remembering vocab is hard when I don’t have my notes in front of me and saying/writing more than one sentence at a time is so 難しい ww. I can’t bring myself to post any sentence without running it through Google Translate like ten times to make sure everything is in the right order lol. Guess this is why I need to study and practice more. School takes up most of my energy though lol.

• Like 1

@Artemis42 If you can afford it, I recommend classes on italki once a  week (or more!). They've really been helping me out. If you're looking for a free option, Meetup has a lot of Zoom meetings to practice Japanese. If you're interested, I can recommend a couple. You mentioned Google Translate. I do use it but when I'm unsure of the translation (because It's usually grammatically correct but not necessarily natural), I go to the apps mentioned below: HelloTalk and HiNative. It helps my confidence to speak out loud too.

@SpadeHood Yep, I no longer remember it (or modern Greek D= ) but I learned them both as a child. I've always been fascinated with language, even dead languages. I wanted to learn Latin for a while but I think it would be difficult, being dead and all. lol. Yeah, there is much more we can use to learn language now than when I was younger. But I'm glad of it. We can use it to our benefit to learn with less stress.

@nazokashii あなたの日本語は上手ですね!日本に行ったことがありません。でも、私はいっか日本に行ってみたいです。That's very cool that you were able to stay for a while. Have you thought about picking your studies back up? (And thanks for the cake! おいしいそう~)

@Grey-Ace Ventura ありがとうございます!ええ、クラスももっています。週に一度、italkiのレッスンがあります。

For anyone who hasn't heard of them, HelloTalk (mentioned by another user) and HiNative are very good apps for getting your sentences translated into natural Japanese. It's okay to make mistakes! That's how we learn. 

• Like 2

@SorenRLYeah Google Translate isn't the best lol (when I'm actually looking to learn vocabulary I use an actual online Japanese dictionary), but it can be a decent grammar check sometimes. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into some of those for sure!

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, SorenRL said:

Yep, I no longer remember it (or modern Greek D= ) but I learned them both as a child. I've always been fascinated with language, even dead languages. I wanted to learn Latin for a while but I think it would be difficult, being dead and all. lol. Yeah, there is much more we can use to learn language now than when I was younger. But I'm glad of it. We can use it to our benefit to learn with less stress.

So true! I love the android language apps!

I find Deer Lingo helpful! 😄

• Like 1

@SorenRL thank you for the compliment ^^ the best part of my stay there was that I was kinda "forced" into just trying to talk, which freed me up such a huge lot... I can have a hard time with conversing in general but even in the few classes I took "at home" it just felt so awkward talking in Japanese... having lived there for a while, I kinda had to, so now it's (a bit) easier, and just in general I'm not as afraid of making "mistakes", even when writing - that's probably the biggest skill one can have when it comes to any language, just "giving up" on being "perfect" and just trying anyways, since if you say nothing people for sure won't be able to understand :P it would be nice to continue learning kanji and brush up my grammar and just getting to talk with someone in Japanese; at least I keep my listening up, and for right now that's pretty much what I have time for, but maybe someday ^^ I love languages and just learning things in general, and linguistics is amazing, so if maybe not "formally" I'd like to dabble more in all that ^^ a childhood dream of mine was to learn all the languages in the world, and I kinda still have that intact as something to strive for at least... ;)

• Like 1