Ace/Aro Spectrum Visibility Research

Ivee

Hello everyone!

My name is Ivee and I am doing informal research about the asexual/aromantic community for a project in one of my classes this semester in order to teach others more about the importance of ace/aro visibility. 

I would really appreciate it if you could help me by indicating the following to me in the comments of this post:

1. Do you identify as being on the ace spectrum, the aro spectrum, or both.
  2. How old you were when you first identified as being on the ace/aro spectrum  (whichever came first if you answered both to the previous question)? 

I identify on both the ace spectrum and the aro spectrum. I was 19 years old when I first identified as ace and aro (both were at the same time).

1. I am asexual, but not arospec.

2. I'm not sure on the exact age, but I was in middle school. So probably around 13-14? Possibly even 15.

I identify as ace-spec. I started identifying this way or at least started exploring my identity when I was 15. I also briefly identified as aro-spec when I was 16 but eventually realized that wasn’t accurate, and no longer identify that way.

Janus the Fox

Moved to Visibility and Education Projects

Janus DarkFox

Cover Welcome Lounge, Weekends Asexual Relationships, Current Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Musings and Rantings & Open Mic Moderator

Aelin Galathynius

I was 15 when I came across the term asexual, and started identifying with it at 16. Around the same time I was exploring other sexualities, and discovered panromantic, so I'm not on the aro spectrum.

Divide By Zero

1. Ace and aro

2. When I was growing up in the 1990s asexuality wasn't really known or understood and it wasn't until I was 21 that I discovered AVEN, which was in its infancy, and I finally had a word to describe myself. I came out as ace at 22. As for coming out as aro, aromanticism wasn't known or understood until later and I think I first identified as aro and came out as aro in my early 30s.

1. Ace (still questioning aro)

2. I officially started identifying as ace when I was 20, though I was pretty sure I was ace at 17 or 18.

1.- Ace, and questioning aro

2.- 18ish

I am asexual, but am not at all aromantic.

I was 42.  In retrospect, I've known all my adult life, but it wasn't until that age that I found out that asexuality was a thing.   But I was 42 when I realized there was a label to be put on it.

2 hours ago, Regulus said:

I am asexual, but am not at all aromantic.

I was 42.  In retrospect, I've known all my adult life, but it wasn't until that age that I found out that asexuality was a thing.   But I was 42 when I realized there was a label to be put on it.

Exactly the same for me, except you can add a good 20 years to Regulus's 42.

ContentedCentipede

1. I am both asexual and aromantic.

2. I found AVEN, and learned about asexuality and aromanticism when I was 19 - and I quickly realized that the words and community fit with the way I've always felt (but had been unable to explain).

1. I'm aroace (so I'm on both the aromantic and asexual spectrums).

2. I first identified as aroace at 21 years old, though I would've done so earlier had I known about aspec identities.

1. I'm Aro-Ace

2. I think I was roughly 14? 15? when I started identifying on the ace spectrum (demi at first) and I was roughly 17 or 18 when I identified as being aromantic

1. Ace and questioning aro

2. I learned I was ace at 28. I didn't learn what asexuality was until then

1. Ace, but not aro

2. I felt different from my peers starting as early as 11, but I didn't start identifying as ace until I was 15 or 16

VeryAsexyIndeed

1. As of now I identify as both ace and aro✌️🥰

2. I’m not out yet but I learned about the terms and started using them for myself on AVEN this year, so 15✌️

That’s a really cool project to do! I love that you’re doing that! 🖤🤍💜👌🥰

apologetically_alix

1. I identify as both aromantic and asexual

2. I realised I was ace first, when I was 13, and aro not long after but I was questioning for a while

1. I identify as being on the Asexual spectrum and might be questioning being on the Aromantic Spectrum.

2. I realised I was an Asexual at 16 when someone told me no one has a, "cloths on" kink and I finally realised that real people actually have physical intercourse.

ElusiveCreature

1. I identify as ace and aro-spec.

2. I first heard the term by chance when I was 15, but dismissed my very, very strong inclination due to a poor understanding of what asexuality actually was. I was 19 when I realised it explained so much about the world, and then I began identifying as such.

1. I identify as Ace! No matter HOW many times someone tries to explain romantic attraction to me, I just don't get it... so I guess I'm Aro? Please don't tell me; 'cause I give up. 🤣

2. I was 19! I logged on to CNN one day, and on the front page somewhere, I saw someone explaining A-sexuality (I think it was the founder).

I believe the Ace came first! but Aro...dropped it like a hot potato (again and again) when ever I realize  I don't understand it (back to the drawing board)! 😆

1: I'm ace, not aro

2: I was 37 when I realised I was and always had been asexual.

Hi, I identify as greysexual and biromantic, so on both spectrums. I learned about this when I was 19, both at the same time.

PermianElle

1) Definitely on the ace spectrum, possibly on the aro spectrum. I want a romantic relationship, but I don't feel romantic emotions often. (Once so far in 30 years). So probably demi-romantic.

2) I put a title to it around 28, but I always knew I wasn't interested in sex. I just thought it was normal and people that were interested in sex were extra-hormonal. 

Archived