Its Landed!

quadfasciata

The martian rover has made it safely to Mars! Comments? Thoughts? What are you excited about?

I am very excited to see proper color photos of this planet. I also desperately want to see if there are signs of life there.

Blue eyes white dragon

Yay!! We were just talking about that in my astronomy class! I'm excited for more samples! Ngl, I wish I had a piece so I can add it to my rock, mineral, and fossil collection

Definitely a great accomplishment.  Can’t wait to see pictures!

The fact that we could potentially be close to finding life on another planet! And I bet the images we get from Mars will inspire some badass art. Can't wait to see it.

I am pretty excited to see more of it. They better not send any monkeys up there!

The minature helicopter will probably collect info for the dragonfly mission to Titan too, which is the Nasa mission I'm most excited about!

I think it's very cool, a great accomplishment to land another mission there, and hopefully some interesting data and science will come out of it. :D 

There go $2.7bn dollars that could have been spent on something actually useful...

Also, HERE is a video on why NASA, ESA, JAXA, and other space agencies are helpful. I normally don't like this guy, but this video is very good.

Super exciting to finally have some good news amongst all of the bad things we have been seeing in the news recently! I hate seeing the "but we could be spending the money on X" comments, but I can't wait to debate with some people I work with tomorrow.

3 hours ago, trifasciata said:

Thats how I feel about every new plane in the military.

Lol tell them its apart of a space force mission, they might buy it. 

Forest Spirit

Looking forward to images and more data on the past of Mars and the solar system in general. Idk if it's made for that but fossils would be awesome (aka more than traces of life)

Wrt costs, on an interview yesterday someone compared the costs of the ISS to about 1.5€ per year for every European, so yeah. I'm much happier to pay for something like this than for weapons or stupidly high wages for politicians

8 hours ago, 21LAUR21 said:

I hate seeing the "but we could be spending the money on X" comments

What's wrong with those?

fooledbysecrecy

me literally every other second while watching the stream:

spacer.png

Did you guys hear that its supposed to bottle samples and deposit them in a set place for a future ESA rover to pick up and send back to Earth? That will be amazing! The first time seeing anything from Mars in person! And who knows what they might find, now that they're not restricted to tests on a rover! I am so excited!

3 hours ago, Homer said:

What's wrong with those?

Because space exploration leads to so many advances in science that can be useful in different ways. There are also cultural benefits and economic benefits (think of all the jobs that are created by space exploration). Also, learning more about our world is just a worthy endeavour on it's own, too. This is literally the first link I clicked on about the topic and it has a lot of good examples: https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Benefits-Stemming-from-Space-Exploration-2013-TAGGED.pdf

You came on a post with a bunch of people excited about the rover launch and made an oversimplified negative comment about the rover. You have to have been expecting some push back there.

The OP reads "Thoughts? Comments?", which is what I contributed to. If you're excited that's cool, I'm just... not. I don't really care much about backlash, my question was genuine, so thanks for your perspective :cake:

Purple Red Panda

Mars is a bit rubbish though isn't it? Who can honestly say they wouldn't prefer the Mars of vintage pulp sci-fi  with all its crystal pyramids and busty green space maidens over what we actually have ie a dead reddish brown rock?

Blue eyes white dragon
Just now, Purple Red Panda said:

Mars is a bit rubbish though isn't it? Who can honestly say they wouldn't prefer the Mars of vintage pulp sci-fi fiction with all its crystal pyramids and busty green space maidens over what we actually have ie a dead reddish brown rock?

*noise like someone knocking the wind out of me* 

Mars Rover? Is Land Rover now owned by NASA? Not a very reliable way to explore space.

I'd be more in my element on Mars; the climate is actually cool enough for my liking.

If all military planes were designed as well as Russia's Bear, there would be no need to produce new ones all the time. Same Bear, different day.

50959686648_ef88e3c7ea_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
WarRocketAjax

I'm fascinated by this stuff.

Archived