A Study on Asexual Identity Development

SpirallingSnowy

SpirallingSnowy

SEEKING RESEARCH VOLUNTEERS

A Study on Asexual Identity Development

Researchers at the University of Toronto are conducting an anonymous online survey on the topic of identity development among individuals who identify as asexual.
To qualify for this study, you must be at least 18 years of age, identify as asexual, are proficient in reading and writing* in English, and willing to share your personal life experiences.
To learn more about this study, including possible risks and benefits of participation please go to http://rotman.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7P2RZU5knp1p8x0
or contact the principal investigator, Mr. Alvi Dandal, at alvi.dandal@mail.utoronto.com

*This survey includes a narrative writing task and therefore some may prefer to complete this survey on a computer or using a keyboard, though others may be just as comfortable using their mobile device.

This has been approved by the Project Team.

Done. It took a lot of thinking. I hope I didn't put an uncomfortable amount of detail for the researchers who will be compiling this. :P

I became frustrated with how the questions were phrased.  They seemed to be phrased, and the answers requested, in terms that applied more to the present day rather than the time period when I actually experienced the particular events.  Thus, I gave up toward the end because I was feeling that I could not give answers without quite a bit of explanation, and that simply didn't seem to be appropriate.

Ace Of Dragons

There was one question that I wished the options included a lack of events choice.

Just one thing on the survey, where it asks for an age range, you can't put something like "10-20" or "10 to 20", but other than that. Completed!

in-person social network / contacts is tricky atm with restrictions in place ... I answered that one like it would be without contact limitations, I hope that's okay.

describing an event in 10-15 words is even more difficult than thinking of one.

also having the Suicide Hotline as the last thing to see after completing a survey is a bit distressing. I thought my answers mirrored more of a positive attitude?

14 minutes ago, Nima said:

also having the Suicide Hotline as the last thing to see after completing a survey is a bit distressing. I thought my answers mirrored more of a positive attitude?

It's become standard to put that info in basically every study on a sensitive issue, regardless of the answers given. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was a really good survey. Liked the part where you could describe the event in detail, although I agree with Ace of Dragons in that it would be good to have a no events option. I also feel that the question about emotions could have been worded more clearly, because initially I thought it was emotions and feelings towards sex and romance related but then realised it couldn't be. So it was a bit weird to answer. But other than that thought it was excellent! 💜

I think it's a shame that we're never made aware of the results of any of these projects.

spooky_moss
On 2/28/2021 at 6:02 AM, Acing It said:

I think it's a shame that we're never made aware of the results of any of these projects.

This is from the survey page: "Once the study is completed, a copy of Mr. Dandal’s dissertation will be available to the public for access electronically via the UofT Research Repository (TSpace) https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/handle/1807/9944.  The quickest way to search for the dissertation is by ‘Author’ and searching by last name (i.e., ‘Dandal’), and clicking on ‘Dandal, Alvi’.  The dissertation should be uploaded to TSpace by the summer of 2022."

But by then I'm sure most survey participants will have forgotten about it. I agree it's a shame, I want to see the results as well!

3 hours ago, spooky_moss said:

This is from the survey page: "Once the study is completed, a copy of Mr. Dandal’s dissertation will be available to the public for access electronically via the UofT Research Repository (TSpace) https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/handle/1807/9944.  The quickest way to search for the dissertation is by ‘Author’ and searching by last name (i.e., ‘Dandal’), and clicking on ‘Dandal, Alvi’.  The dissertation should be uploaded to TSpace by the summer of 2022."

But by then I'm sure most survey participants will have forgotten about it. I agree it's a shame, I want to see the results as well!

I noticed that as well, but that's what I mean. We naturally forget about those things.

I believe there have been some studies where the researcher came back here to let us know that the results have been published.

Done. ^^

• 2 months later...
Red Sun Rises

Also completed, hope I'm not too late :)

Archived