• 24 hour system
    • 12 hour system

This poll is closed to new votes

Janus the Fox
On 2/16/2021 at 2:36 AM, Purple Red Panda said:

I might start using decimal time just to confuse others and myself

Another is to just give a really specific Unix Time Stamp :P 

I think it's all about context.

Without context, 24 hour system is better, and for most use cases it is best.

But if someone says "We should meet at 2 tomorrow" I'm not going to be expecting 2am (unless we have an early morning flight, or something).

Where is day-to-day, verbal, speech the 24 hour system could cause occasional confusion. "The meeting starts at 15" could be misheard as "The meeting starts in 15" (definitely possibly in a loud/busy area, or if you're not focusing fully - such as, whilst you're focusing on your work) and then you think "Alright, 15 minutes, will finish off what I'm doing, go pee, grab a drink, and then I'm there!" whereas you actually have 2 hours.

everywhere and nowhere

I don't care much about it. However, when speaking, my best friend always says (remember that Polish linguistic norms in this respect differ from English ones), for example, "I came home at 21" and I "at 9 in the evening". I prefer it because it sounds slightly more old-fashioned to me.

But in display? Neither is a problem.

I can't really say that one is better than the other as I use both but for different purposes. Meals and meeting friends ( in those pre pandemic days) the 12 hour system.  Travel plans, especially trains , the 24 hour system to avoid confusion.

J. van Deijck

24 hours system because I'm from Europe and that's how we read the clock.

By the way. Het is kwart over zes. :P

I mean, I'm going to say whichever I use the most (12-hour), but that's not because I prefer it.  You have to do a mental calculation for whichever system you don't use.

Probably 24-hour makes more sense, though.  It completely obviates questions like the one I had to ask of someone yesterday, of whether they meant 7-8 AM or 7-8 PM, because either could have been a valid timeframe for what was being discussed.

riskygamble

I'm used to 12 hour but I'm starting to get a better grasp on 24 hour as that's the time system used at my work. Always have to do the mental calculation past 12pm though, ie "1pm = 13" and so on but I see the merits of it.

i think i once missed a film showing in this archaic place that no longer exist called cinemas because of 24 hour 12 hour confusion

i think i got a 3;50 film showing mixed up with 13:50 but i could be using that as an excuse for arriving at a film showing 2 hours early.

the 3;50 showing would not have been practical because of logistics as it was a long movie (American honey)

I think I prefer the 12 hour time system a bit more since I'm just more used to it, but sometimes I prefer the 24 hour time system when I'm planning meetings or events with other people. 

Anomaly Q3Xr

I always use the 24 hour system, have done for years.

• 11 months later...

@A User

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived