A User

Which is better?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• 24 hour system
    • 12 hour system

This poll is closed to new votes

You can also say why

Me personally, 12 hour system is easier. Though the 24 system has its uses, I hate it when the time is anything above 1:00 (13:00)
especially when it's 0:00, it's like it feels as if time restarted from the very beginning (in other words, it just makes no sense to me)

Your opinions?

3pm - 3 past midday

15:00 - okay so 15-12 is 3, so 3 past midday.

12 hour > 24 hour

I set the clock on my phone to be 24 hours a few years ago and once I got used to it I prefer it. It makes it a lot easier if you want to quickly know how much time passed between something like 10:45 and 2:30. That kind of math is a lot easier to plug into a calculator when it’s in 24 hour format.

I use the 24-hour format pretty much exclusively, other than when talking to other people, the majority of whom prefer the 12-hour format (I assume).

12 hour. Whenever I see an after noon time in the 24 hour format I have to subtract 1200 to figure out what time that would be.

I was in the military so I got used to the 24 hour system

4 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

Whenever I see an after noon time in the 24 hour format I have to subtract 1200 to figure out what time that would be.

I have to turn on my 1000 iq to find that out

it takes me so long tho

Both seem to hit the nitrous oxide boosters when I'm running short on it. There's a third time system I find quite interesting as similar units were quite common in my youth, but I don't recall seeing one quite like this:

s-l1600.jpg

I set my devices to 24h time but thanks to the people around me, when referring to time I say it in 12h time. I just think it’s easier to look at and format in 24h time because the hours of 3-6/15-18 blur together, and if not for 24h time I’d confuse the quick look at a watch for it to be a different time.

"Better"? I'd say 24h format for easier time zone math.

I do use the 12h format myself just because it's more ubiquitous here in the US, so it seems more appropriate.

When originally getting used to the US system I also used to have to think every time I saw a 12:xx AM/PM

12pm is not 12 hours post meridiem as it should be, so what's up with that, can we get that fixed and switch to 00:xx AM/PM?! :P

Purple Red Panda

I might start using decimal time just to confuse others and myself

Crazycrazycultist
2 hours ago, Satan's Little Helper said:

I prefer 24 hour because it allows for easier handling of time zones. 

I thought you mentioned Time Zombies for a second.

I like the 12 hour clock the best!

I was a military kid growing up; and the 24 hour clock system was EVERYWHERE on base!

But I STILL can't tell you how it works!

I'll stick with the 12 hour. . .

To me, 24-hour time is like the metric system in that absolutely makes more sense, yet I refuse to acclimate to it because I'm already used to the weirder system and have no time to relearn everything.

I prefer the regular time because I know it. But honestly military time makes more sense.

I was a military brat and I'm currently active duty, so 24-hour for me. I regularly find myself asking for clarification from those who don't specify AM/PM; with the 24-hour system there's no need for clarification. 

24hr, no question. There are zero situations where the 12hr one has got any advantage.

Forest Spirit

I use both. All digital devices are set to the 24h system and I'll use that if I f.e. want to write down the time of a meeting or something as it's unambiguous and faster (faster than what I do with the 12h system that is) but in speech I'll also often use the 12h system with an added "in the night, in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening" if it's not clear from context what is meant (in German at least, I've gotten somewhat used to am/pm or at least don't confuse them anymore😅) and obviously analogue clocks are in a 12h system. In my experience it's really easy to switch when you've grown up with both.

One thing I've noticed with military time is that it doesn't necessarily contain the ":", so it's 1000 instead of 10:00 which makes it a lot harder to read for me

As a truck driver (sorry to any of those I've offended), the 24 hour clock is used, I was also a forces brat, so have always been used to the 24 hour way of telling the time

24h all the way. No confusion whatsoever - especially in writing - and no need for the am/pm distinction. 

I can totally see myself missing a flight or train when using the am/pm system, but haven't managed to do that so far with the 24h system ;)

24hr, because I do so much travelling 

I use 24 hour for my devices and when writing down the time. I would say “six thirty” to mean 18:30 when talking though. It’s clear with context and doesn’t sound pretentious.

4 hours ago, Sky Tune Rein said:

12 hours. I never watched 24.

It has to be hard for the 12hr folks, having to stop watching halfway through :P 

Archived