Asexual Characters - Masterthread

I think Trisana Chandler (Tris) from Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic books is asexual. ("Tris shrugged. 'No interest,' she said" - The Will of the Empress) :D

Yeah, Jhonen Vasquez's stuff seems to be filled with asexual characters. Johnny from JTHM being the prime example.

Even though Dib and Gaz are just children, I could see either of them being ace. Dib did seem to be taking an interest in Tak, but it didn't seem anything beyond slight romantic interest (also Dib isn't one with too many friends, so any sort of connection with anyone would be somewhat special to him). He's also completely oblivious to Gretchen's swooning. In the episode where ZIM simulates Dib's future, there isn't any reference to a SO, just him saving the world and doing stuff. Gaz is younger, more introverted, so probably impossible to judge.

SUPPOSEDLY Dib was Professor Membrane's clone... He could be asexual. (though where did Gaz come from?)

• 2 weeks later...
asexual cake

never thought of this before, but Scrooge is asexual

Didn't Scrooge have a romance that was particularly important to him?

Not that that disqualifies aceness, necessarily, but it's hard to read asexuality into characters who have romances and don't show a specific disinterest in sex, particularly when their source material doesn't really talk about sexual desire/attraction in other people.

I'm not assuming that the character is asexual, but I've been rereading Death Note and one of the investigators - Ide - has the GREATEST Ace moment in volume 10. :lol: He totally doesn't get why there could be romantic tension between Raito and Takada when they meet up in the hotel suite, and later gets really awkward when it looks like they might be about to get intimate.

There are a lot of scattered references to his lack of a love life throughout the second half of the manga. It's just for comedic purposes, but I still grinned at him when I was rereading it. :D

Not saying he IS ace, but since we're on the topic of ace moments..

I was watching the Doctor Who episode The Lodger the other day (I know, it was really not very good. But I love it for its silliness. :D) and there was a part where

Craig was telling the Doctor to give him a shout if he needed space (like if he wanted to be left alone with a partner), and the Doctor totally could not figure out what Craig meant until he explained it to him.

I found it awesome. :D

• Like 1
asexual cake

I was re-watching Arrested Development the other day, and has anyone considered that Tobias Fünke could be asexual? They show him doing a number of things which are perhaps meant to be taken as evidence of latent homosexuality, but whenever he's in any kind of sexual situation he is either entirely oblivious or vaguely confused.

Has anyone read The Tales of Beedle the Bard, the book mentioned in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? In it, there's a story called "The Warlock's Hairy Heart" about a warlock who uses dark magic to prevent himself from falling in love. Since this is supposed to be a fairy tale, it follows the pattern of "character does foolish things, meets a grim end," and you can imagine how badly things go for this warlock.

In Dumbledore's commentary, he talks about how the warlock's fatal error was that he tried to achieve invulnerability. I had an alternative interpretation. First the warlock foolishly denies and eliminates his own feelings. And then later, he tries to find a wife, but for all the wrong reasons. He does not love the witch (though he imitates the words of poets). Instead he does it because he hears people mock and pity him for being an old bachelor.

It obviously wasn't written with asexuality in mind, but nonetheless I found it very charming.

Oh, another one, way more obscure.

I read Khaos Komix, which is a story webcomic about queer relationships. Each of the eight books (six written so far) focuses on a different character, and one is named Alex. I don't want to identify Alex as demisexual, but I think you'll agree he gives off a demi vibe if you read a few pages starting here (may be a bit explicit, even NSFW).

Guest fridayoak

I watched a couple of The Stepfather films and in the 2nd one, he says to his new girlfriend after she rumbles him as a pyscho and he sees it as her being disrespectful "I did so much for you, hell I even had sex with you!"

I mean he's a mental case so not exactly what you want associated with asexuality but I still found it funny.

Fish That Swims

never thought of this before, but Scrooge is asexual

Didn't Scrooge have a romance that was particularly important to him?

Not that that disqualifies aceness, necessarily, but it's hard to read asexuality into characters who have romances and don't show a specific disinterest in sex, particularly when their source material doesn't really talk about sexual desire/attraction in other people.

He does have a romance. And later when one of the ghosts (Christmas Present, I guess) shows Scrooge the married with children Elizabeth (or whatever her name is), Scrooge gets envious of her kids because of the easy way they're playing and touching each other.

KieranTheWerewolf42

Not saying he IS ace, but since we're on the topic of ace moments..

I was watching the Doctor Who episode The Lodger the other day (I know, it was really not very good. But I love it for its silliness. :D) and there was a part where

Craig was telling the Doctor to give him a shout if he needed space (like if he wanted to be left alone with a partner), and the Doctor totally could not figure out what Craig meant until he explained it to him.

I found it awesome. :D

I love that moment! "The Lodger" is one of my favorite episodes of all time!

Poppy from the TV series 'Huge' is asexual. She outright said 'I mostly identify as asexual. I waited for these feelings to happen but they never came.' or words to that effect. I just watched it (episode 5, FYI) and was like 'OMFG must post :o'.

It's a pretty good series imho, not the best but different, at least.

NothingHere

I'm not sure how, after 3 years of this thread, no one has mentioned The World According to Garp. Jenny Fields is one of the most asexual characters I've ever read anyway. I mean, yeah, she

rapes Garp's dad so she can get pregnant

but that was a weird situation and I'd still say she's asexual(and aromantic). The book even describes her that way at some point (I think).

TreacleSponge

I think Sherlock Holmes is an asexual character.

Ah, Holmes most definitely! My absolute favorite asexy, despite the recent movie :angry:

Damn Hollywood.....

"Sherlock", the new series of BBC films, backs up this aspect of the character IMHO.

I'd give examples but feel they should be hidden as spoilers and don't know how to do that/can't be bothered to figure it out when I should have been in bed ages ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see it mentioned, and I might have missed it if it has, but the Johannes Cabal books by Johnathan L. Howard are rather asexual, especially the newest one Johannes Cabal, The Detective. The books focus on the necromancer (and, I believe, definite asexual) Johannes Cabal (duh) and his various adventures. The books themselves have a rather steampunk feel to them and I highly recommend them if that's your sort of thing.

One of the best and most obvious ace moments for Cabal comes after he's been 'rescued' from an amorous noble lady in the second book. After having been flat out told that she was trying to seduce him, he's understandably confused. After it's been somewhat explained to him, he still doesn't understand the reason behind the seduction and Leonine (A woman that is trying to see him imprisoned for his crimes) attempts an explanation.

"...No, you're putting far too much thought into this. It's all much simpler. (...) Whenever she sees a man that interests her in a certain way, she isn't happy until that man has joined her for an evening of sport." It was obvious from Cabal's face that was was working down a list of possible sports. The slight expression of consternation indicated that he had arrived at cricket. Leonie decided to put him out of his misery. "She's a bike. A tart. A slut. She'll be buried in a Y-shaped coffin. A baggage. A hussy. She's the good time that was had by all. A wanton floozy." She looked closely at him, but he still seemed to be stuck on cricket. "A nymphomaniac."

(...) Realization flooded his face and a silent "Oh!" filled his mouth.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, Holmes most definitely! My absolute favorite asexy, despite the recent movie :angry:

Damn Hollywood.....

"Sherlock", the new series of BBC films, backs up this aspect of the character IMHO.

I'd give examples but feel they should be hidden as spoilers and don't know how to do that/can't be bothered to figure it out when I should have been in bed ages ago.

I'll do the honour then! :D

The restaurant scene in the first episode.

John: "Do you have a girlfriend then?"

Sherlock: "Girlfriend, no, not really my area."

John: "Oh right, then...so do you have a boyfriend? Which is fine."

Sherlock: "I know it's fine."

John: "So you've got a boyfriend."

Sherlock: "No."

John: "Oh, okay. So you're unattatched then. Just like me. Fine, good."

Sherlock: "... John, erm... I think you should know that I consider myself married to my work, and while I'm flattered by your interest I'm not really looking for any-- "

John: "No, no, that's not what I... no! I'm just saying... it's all fine."

Sherlock: "... Good. Thank you."

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
Demacrux (emi star...)

I love conan. i have a suspicion...that my favorite anime character (featured in avi) may be asexual...doesn't particularly care about women nor men (troublesome) and would rather sleep, play strategy games an dlook at the clouds.come on.he doesn't even try.^^though the argument that he wants to have a family may contradict that..it can be done I reckon.

TreacleSponge

Damn Hollywood.....

I'll do the honour then! :D

The restaurant scene in the first episode.

John: "Do you have a girlfriend then?"

Sherlock: "Girlfriend, no, not really my area."

John: "Oh right, then...so do you have a boyfriend? Which is fine."

Sherlock: "I know it's fine."

John: "So you've got a boyfriend."

Sherlock: "No."

John: "Oh, okay. So you're unattatched then. Just like me. Fine, good."

Sherlock: "... John, erm... I think you should know that I consider myself married to my work, and while I'm flattered by your interest I'm not really looking for any-- "

John: "No, no, that's not what I... no! I'm just saying... it's all fine."

Sherlock: "... Good. Thank you."

Thanks for that Miss221B. I now know how to use spoilers too!

In this interview Steven Moffat says of Holmes 'Other people might have a problem with him being asexual, he doesn't have any problem with it, he's fine.'

I can also do hyperlinks too. Gasp at my amazing skills.

• 6 years later...

I was just wondering what characters in popular culture everyone else likes to head canon as ace? Like honestly since there is next to no representation at all in mainstream media I'm always looking out for characters who may just be asexual (or can be interpreted that way anyway). Here is just a selection of my personal favourites:

1. Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games)- though kinda problematic reading her as ace since she is cold and distant a lot of the time.
  2. Elsa (Frozen)- again same problem as Katniss, but has strong platonic/family relationships.
  3. Rey (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

Does anyone else have anymore?

(Would be interested to see any male characters since I can't even think of one).

• Like 3

Newt Scamander from Fantastic Beasts, Luke Skywalker from Star Wars, Oswald Cobblepot from Gotham, and Jughead from Riverdale. That one is kind of canon from the comic books but not on the show. 

• Like 7
Just now, Rahvee said:

Newt Scamander from Fantastic Beasts, Luke Skywalker from Star Wars, Oswald Cobblepot from Gotham, and Jughead from Riverdale. That one is kind of canon from the comic books but not on the show. 

Oh yeah I forgot about Luke and Newt! (I should be ashamed since they belong to two of my favourite franchises). Also I hear that in the new Riverdale show they don't even acknowledge Jughead being asexual in the comics which sucks, but I haven't seen the show so I can't speak for it personally.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, YamiCake said:

I'd like to think of Moana from well...Moana as an asexual. She shows no interest in relationships at all.

I know people like to point at Merida from Brave as well, but there is that scene in which she is clearly attracted to a large buff member of one of the other clans so I don't think she counts.

• Like 4
Just now, Satina said:

Oh yeah I forgot about Luke and Newt! (I should be ashamed since they belong to two of my favourite franchises). Also I hear that in the new Riverdale show they don't even acknowledge Jughead being asexual in the comics which sucks, but I haven't seen the show so I can't speak for it personally.

Yeah, they don't acknowledge it. But they did say Season 1 was more of an origin story and they wouldn't start off with him as ace right off the bat. It was just renewed for Season 2, so my fingers are crossed it'll happen then. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Satina said:

I know people like to point at Merida from Brave as well, but there is that scene in which she is clearly attracted to a large buff member of one of the other clans so I don't think she counts.

Well she still could be, some aces still find people aesthetically pleasing they just don't go after the person. 

• Like 7
Just now, YamiCake said:

Well she still could be, some aces still find people aesthetically pleasing they just don't go after the person. 

You have a point there, but still I think it will be a long time till we see Disney/Pixar include a canon asexual character. I really hope they do though

• Like 2
--------------

Luffy from One Piece is someone I headcanon as ace and maybe aro too.  Never shows any interest or attraction, even when people are clearly flirting with him. Might be slightly problematic as he is portrayed as quite childish.

• Like 5
  1. Frodo and Boromir from Lord of the Rings
  2. Moana and Merida (as already mentioned above by others)
  3. Definitely Mycroft and Sherlock in BBC Sherlock
  • Like 7
sk8ergrandma

I don't watch the show anymore but I've always headcannoned the Doctor from Doctor Who as demiromantic asexual

• Like 9