Asexual Characters - Masterthread

Even though I haven't seen over four episodes of the show but would Data be considered asexual? He is an android and stuff

• Like 1
Even though I haven't seen over four episodes of the show but would Data be considered asexual? He is an android and stuff

Yes. But then he's a robot, so I don't hink he really counts...

Also..... Tasha Yar.

(not that it proves he's sexual, but it does put a damper on any asexiness)

Elizabeth Bear's Dust has a main character, Sir Perceval, who is pretty unabashedly asexual. The book made me very happy when reading it, just for that. It's nice to see a character come out and say it for once.

Also..... Tasha Yar.

(not that it proves he's sexual, but it does put a damper on any asexiness)

As I remember (badly), he said he was programmed and equipped to be able to have sex. He probably doesn't feel anything towards Yar (at this point he has no emotion chip, so he doesn't feel anything).

As I remember (badly), he said he was programmed and equipped to be able to have sex. He probably doesn't feel anything towards Yar (at this point he has no emotion chip, so he doesn't feel anything).

Of course. However, he is equipped (and, apparently, programmed) to have sex. Even though our classifications of attraction and desire don't apply to him, I still don't think he's a particularly asexy example.

Remember, in fiction we have a very small window from which to judge, and many sources tend to skirt around sexuality as a whole. Asexy status generally only goes to those who show a consistent lack of interest in romance and sexuality (as one is often short-form for the other), despite opportunities to the contrary. In my mind, Data doesn't qualify for this, but Doctor McCoy might.

True

thecynicalromantic
Isn't there a TV show something like that?

In Buffy, Angel and Buffy couldn't have sex because it would turn Angel evil or something, right?

That didn't mean they couldn't have sex. It just meant that when they DID have sex, Angel went evil, thus providing most of the plot for the entire second half of Season Two.

Edward and Bella can't have sex because he will squish her with his vampiric strength in the throes of passion--NOT because they are anything even remotely resembling asexual--except then they do it anyway and Bella gets off with a couple of bruises on her upper arm, because internal consistency is for losers.

I hate Twilight.

...Love Buffy, though.

i think the tall cute guy (Sheldon) from The big Bang theory is asexual

here is a Sheldon quote from Season 1 Episode 12 (The Jerusalem Duality):

Sheldon:

"Ladies and gentlemen—honored daughters—while Mr. Kim, by virtue of his youth and naivety, has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me step in and assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me. Thank you."

• Like 2

I still say Johnny from Johnny The Homicidal Maniac is asexual. He doesn't have any interest, at all, in having sex and when someone accuses him of raping a girl he goes on a long rant of how he hates touching, and how he prefers to be alone.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
青红丝儿

here is a Sheldon quote from Season 1 Episode 12 (The Jerusalem Duality):

Sheldon:

"Ladies and gentlemen—honored daughters—while Mr. Kim, by virtue of his youth and naivety, has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me step in and assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me. Thank you."

i cannot agree more and i think Leonard's mother is asexual too.

Season 2 Episode 15:

Leonard's mother: Aside from a pro forma consummation of our marriage, his father and I only had intercourse for the purpose of reproduction.

Sheldon: That seems a fairly efficient arrangement.

Isn't there a TV show something like that?

In Buffy, Angel and Buffy couldn't have sex because it would turn Angel evil or something, right?

That didn't mean they couldn't have sex. It just meant that when they DID have sex, Angel went evil, thus providing most of the plot for the entire second half of Season Two.

Edward and Bella can't have sex because he will squish her with his vampiric strength in the throes of passion--NOT because they are anything even remotely resembling asexual--except then they do it anyway and Bella gets off with a couple of bruises on her upper arm, because internal consistency is for losers.

I hate Twilight.

...Love Buffy, though.

Aw, what are you talking about? Inconsistency always makes for a good plot! :P <_<

Jillianimal
Holden Caulfield from JD Salinger's Catcher in The Rye.

Nah. He mentioned that he wants sex & all that multiple times. The only thing holding him back was that he was never sure he should keep going when the girl would tell him to stop. At least I think that's why...

For so long I thought Harding from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was asexual, till it was apparent by the end of the book that he was, indeed, gay.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, during the series. Data had sex at least twice and in both cases seemed to have enjoyed it.

He may never have stated a need for sex (and of course he doesn't have a physical need for it) but how many Star Trek characters ever expressed their sexuality? Besides captain Kirk, I think few characters could boast to have had sex more then data during the episodes.

If any characters should be pointed out as being asexual: how about Vulcans? They claimed to have no such passions and when T'Pol developed emotions, her new sexual side frightened her. Our most famous Vulcan, Spock, only experienced the need to consumate his marriage under influence of 'blood fever madness'.

tricky.

Actually, during the series. Data had sex at least twice and in both cases seemed to have enjoyed it.

He may never have stated a need for sex (and of course he doesn't have a physical need for it) but how many Star Trek characters ever expressed their sexuality?

If any characters should be pointed out as being asexual: how about Vulcans? They claimed to have no such passions and when T'Pol developed emotions, her new sexual side frightened her. Our most famous Vulcan, Spock, only experienced the need to consumate his marriage under influence of 'blood fever madness'.

I would argue that Star Trek always represents people who are not represented in general in our society.

Data though he is not human in the series, represents a certain type of human being in the real world. The Vulcans, as well, represent a more or less silenced type of humans in our society.

I would argue that the Borg (except the Borg Queen) could be seen as asexual,as well.

They assimilate and don't have no need for reproduction.

7 of 9, too, seemed to be asexual until she developed her "human" emotional side.

Then again, I would agree on the Vulcans.

Borg are asexual, though technically they are so ahuman that you can hardly speak of them as characters. They have no need for eating or sleeping either, just recharging. Hence they are also a-foodual, a-sleepual, a-bathroom-break-ual, etc etc. To inhuman to define as anything.

7 of 9 is an interesting case as she was human, then borg, then human again. Since borg regain their former personalities after they lose contact with the collective, it can be assumed that her human side was only repressed. 7 of 9 would thus qualify as a repressed sexual during her borg period. After her rescue from the borg, she experimented with sexuality quite quickly. In fact, she responded to the first man who showed an interest in her (Harry Kim) by plainly asking him to take his clothes of. For as far as I know she did not actually have sex during the series, but not for lack of want.

7 of 9 is an interesting case as she was human, then borg, then human again. Since borg regain their former personalities after they lose contact with the collective, it can be assumed that her human side was only repressed. 7 of 9 would thus qualify as a repressed sexual during her borg period. After her rescue from the borg, she experimented with sexuality quite quickly. In fact, she responded to the first man who showed an interest in her (Harry Kim) by plainly asking him to take his clothes of. For as far as I know she did not actually have sex during the series, but not for lack of want.

Repressed sexual.Well, or asexual as she was borg but then again you already mentioned Borg have no resemblance to humanity whatsoever.

But technically speaking.....

Nevertheless,you are right in saying that there was a story line made up for her focused also on sexuality as part of regaining her humanity but every character of this sort had to deal with this in Star Trek at some point....to understand "human" behaviour.

But I must agree, I haven't thought about this detail (her being a human being and afterwards trying to regain her own personality).

I must say I've got only a blurred memory of the series, since it's been a while I haven't seen them, I thought there was a certain lapse of time before she became interested in "normality" (the changing of her suites? Wasn't that a symbolic breaking point in her story-line?).

In a way, borg are machines carrying inside them a repressed conscienceness of whatever species they used to be. So logically speaking, if they were sexual human beings, they'll be repressed sexuals as borg. The machine part is as asexual as any other computer without a living conscienceness of its own.

I must say I've got only a blurred memory of the series, since it's been a while I haven't seen them, I thought there was a certain lapse of time before she became interested in "normality" (the changing of her suites? Wasn't that a symbolic breaking point in her story-line?).

According to my Voyager guide, Seven was seperated from the collective in the first episode of the 4th series, and had her first experiment with sexuality (the one i mentioned earlier) in episode 5 of the same series. Time varies somewhat in star trek, but 5 episodes seems like a short time to me. Where are those damn star dates...

In episode 17 of season 7 she made a big turning point in her change towards human, exploring romance. This was the episode where she used to holodeck to experiment with fake social interaction, a decorated room of her own, and a fake romantic relationship with Chakotay. Appearantly romance was far harder for her to grasp then sex.

According to my Voyager guide, Seven was seperated from the collective in the first episode of the 4th series, and had her first experiment with sexuality (the one i mentioned earlier) in episode 5 of the same series. Time varies somewhat in star trek, but 5 episodes seems like a short time to me. Where are those damn star dates...

In episode 17 of season 7 she made a big turning point in her change towards human, exploring romance. This was the episode where she used to holodeck to experiment with fake social interaction, a decorated room of her own, and a fake romantic relationship with Chakotay. Appearantly romance was far harder for her to grasp then sex.

Intresting, thank you for the information. ^_^

It's a short time, really, I quite blocked out this happening so soon then, maybe because one episode is 45 minutes long, or because my memory likes to play tricks on me.

The encounter between Harry Kim and Seven took place in one episode and was not mentioned much more, so it was easy to miss.

As for finding asexual characters in science fiction:

While we know Dr Who did some kissing and certainly has a romantic interest or two. Is it ever suggested that he has sex? I don't think so. It is mentioned several times that he has offspring, but that doesn't make him sexual. He runs around saving the world like a stereotypical james bond, so why does he never seem to go out and get some? Because he's not interested.

My theory is that timelords, living also indefinitely long when on Gallifrey, should have very little incentive to reproduce. Otherwise Gallifrey would be overpopulated within a few generations.

And how about Giselle from enchanted? Her idea of romance is so completely asexual it melts my heart.

Remmember when she falls on top of Robert in a towel and thinks absolutely nothing of it!

Robert: Now she thinks that you and I...

Giselle: KISSED?

Robert: Yeah, something like that.

• Like 1

Sheldon:

i cannot agree more and i think Leonard's mother is asexual too.

Season 2 Episode 15:

Leonard's mother: Aside from a pro forma consummation of our marriage, his father and I only had intercourse for the purpose of reproduction.

Ooooooooooooooo. .... I LOVE the big bang theory.

Sheldon is most defenitelty asexual.

Penny: What's his deal? Girls? Guys? Sock puppets?

Leonard: He doesn't have a thing. We've had various theories of how he would reproduce if he ever did.

Leonard: He doesn't have a thing. We've had various theories of how he would reproduce if he ever did.

Oh, or season 2 Episode 7 where they are all playing Klingon Boggle and suddenly Penny comes in and watches America's Next Top Model and everybody is watching except Sheldon.

There are so many moments...which definitely are a proof of him being asexual.Hope this won't change.

Oh, or season 2 Episode 7 where they are all playing Klingon Boggle and suddenly Penny comes in and watches America's Next Top Model and everybody is watching except Sheldon.

There are so many moments...which definitely are a proof of him being asexual.Hope this won't change.

And recently another one-time-appearing character in the Big Bang Theory: Leonard's mom! She made a few remarks in the direction of asexuality. My favorite one being:

And recently another one-time-appearing character in the Big Bang Theory: Leonard's mom! She made a few remarks in the direction of asexuality. My favorite one being:

They are really both wonderful characters (in my opinion).

The fact that she's a neuroscientist (I love neurosciences)makes her just more intresting and Sheldon being a theoretical physicist for string theory, well apart from being asexual is just as good .

(Physics is the most philosophical science in nature)

^_^

I always thought philosophy was.

Remmembering Dr Who.. it is remarkable that he had so many companions and not once a real relationship was hinted at.

Remidns me of:

Doctor__s_Girls_Wallpaper_by_mimi_na.jpg

• Like 1

I always thought philosophy was.

Remmembering Dr Who.. it is remarkable that he had so many companions and not once a real relationship was hinted at.

Remidns me of:

Doctor__s_Girls_Wallpaper_by_mimi_na.jpg

Of course,(sweet picture).

But philosophy is not a natural science, it's a social science.Philsophy is simply philosophy,all is tried to be explained solely through the mind's tools.

Of all the natural sciences physics is the most philosophical (that's why I said "in nature" meaning in the realms of matter and substance). ;)

possibly..mathmatics is rather philosophical too. Maybe physics a bit more.

The closer you get to the core, the more you have to ask questions without answers.

purity.png

possibly..mathmatics is rather philosophical too. Maybe physics a bit more.

The closer you get to the core, the more you have to ask questions without answers.

purity.png

Ha,intresting picture.

It's true: there's whole philosophy to the meaning of numbers that already existed in ancient times, nonetheless, as time moves on more is being discovered and more is being applied.....I think Physics wins the run, they've got the most difficult questions to solve. :mellow:

• 3 months later...

I haven't finished reading it yet (I will during the summer, hopefully) but what about Mortimer Lightwood from 'Our Mutual Friend'.