Words you pronounced wrong because you only read them and didn't hear them

Waist of Thyme

Waist of Thyme

Have you ever mentally (or verbally) pronounced a word a certain way and only realized you were pronouncing it wrong later because up until then you'd never heard them said aloud, only read them? 

for me:

I didn't know the b in subtle was silent

I thought the last syllable in masculine was pronounced lean instead of lin 

I didn't know there were two different pronunciations for Jesus, there's Jesus as in Jesus Christ and Jesus pronounced like Hey Zeus, if I saw Jesus I'd always think the former Jesus

• Like 1
Oberon Jasper

Not because I didn't hear it... just can't say it: GOLF... I always pronounce it gulf... and hail for the longest time was hell.

Blue eyes white dragon

There is a lot, but I honestly don't remember. I have a hard time pronouncing soldier tho

I do this constantly. The latest one I can remember is pronouncing "fiery" like "fear-y."

The funniest one is when I thought fetish was pronounced "feet-ish," but first said it out loud in the context of a foot fetish, so it just sounded like I was making the worst pun in the world.

• Like 5
LiveLaugh(Love?)

I can't think of anything that I mispronounce... But I probably haven't realized yet.

My sibling has said these things:

- Algae -- they pronounced it pronounced "allergy"

- Chaos -- pronounced it "chows"

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

"Pigsty". I always thought the final vowel was pronounced like in "asexuality". And several other examples I can't remember now.

Generally, such mispronounciation may be common for me in English. It's my second language, I read vastly more than I listen...

On the other hand, at least in Polish, I used to have zero problems with spelling at school - exactly because of reading, because I could read two years before starting school and therefore had already seen and memorised many of these words; at that point most of my vocabulary expansion in Polish was already happening through reading, not conversations.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

On the other hand, at least in Polish, I used to have zero problems with spelling at school - exactly because of reading, because I could read two years before starting school and therefore had already seen and memorised many of these words; at that point most of my vocabulary expansion in Polish was already happening through reading, not conversations.

I'm the same way! I've learned much more of my vocabulary through reading than conversation, so I still tend to mispronounce more obscure words to this day.

Is Polish a language where one can easily figure out pronunciation from spelling, like German?

• Like 1

Not exactly a word, but for nearly four years, I was pronouncing the half-box symbol in actuarial notation (indicating an annuity lasting for x years as opposed to a whole-life annuity on an x-year-old) as "box" rather than "angle".

I've never taken an actuarial science course and all my study in the field has been independent study.

'hors d'oeuvre'

First encountered it in a book when I was about seven, and pronounced it something like 'whores DOO-vrah'.

• Like 4
Oberon Jasper
3 minutes ago, CBC said:

hors d'oeuvre'

I new the word separate of reading it, but didn't connect the two until last year!

• Like 3
Waist of Thyme
37 minutes ago, Kieran :) said:

Not because I didn't hear it... just can't say it: GOLF... I always pronounce it gulf... and hail for the longest time was hell.

Wait, that's not how it's pronounced? 

• Like 2
Oberon Jasper
1 minute ago, Waist of Thyme said:

Wait, that's not how it's pronounced? 

I know right!?

everywhere and nowhere
12 minutes ago, SocialMorays said:

Is Polish a language where one can easily figure out pronunciation from spelling, like German?

For Polish people, yes. ;) Others can't pronounce it. See this famous scene from a comedy where the protagonist invents false data on purpose to annoy the Nazi officer:

Polish has pairs of letters/digraphs which look differently because hundreds of years ago they were pronounced differently, but are now pronounced the same, such as u-ó, ż-rz... But it's the spelling which is tricky (well, to some people, for me it isn't), not the pronounciation.

• Like 3

negligible 

you probably already know its neglijeble if English is your first language but not me honey , not me

Calixte

for some damm reason I take to pronouncing it ka-lix-ite (rhymes with kite)

Minya

min-e-a

i think i simplify it in my mind lol

edit: these are characters from one book

Dais. It's in a lot of books that I read (mostly fantasy), but I can't tell you how it's pronounced. :P 

• Like 1
Just now, zoeretro said:

negligible 

ne-lig-bl (first thing I thought of in my head)

god, I truly suck at the reading buisness

Oberon Jasper
1 minute ago, kelico said:

Dais

day-ass I believe, but could be wrong.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kieran :) said:

As opposed to night-ass? :P Jk jk

• Like 5
Blue eyes white dragon

Oh I remember saying humaning instead of humid and influency disease instead of influenza 

10 minutes ago, kelico said:

Dais. It's in a lot of books that I read (mostly fantasy), but I can't tell you how it's pronounced. :P 

8 minutes ago, Kieran :) said:

My pronunciation's closer to "DAY-iss," with a short "ih" sound, but that could be my accent? New England here.

• Like 4
WobblyWallaby

Personally: Faux. I pronounced it Fow-ex.

My favorite over heard: Political. I had a guy in class pronounce it Poly Tickle.

6 minutes ago, SocialMorays said:

My pronunciation's closer to "DAY-iss," with a short "ih" sound, but that could be my accent? New England here.

That makes sense. I just never knew if it was "die-iss" or "day-iss"...now I'll try to remember that!

• Like 3

I'm sure I mentioned elsewhere that I used to think "c'mon" was "see-mon". I'd also pronounced "prix" as "pricks" at least once.

(They're "kuh-MON" and "pree", respectively.)

There are probably lots of words I pronounce wrong without being aware of it. I am also sure I have pronounced words incorrectly in the past and learned since then, but I can't think of any specific ones at this time. Not that I'm great at pronunciation, I'm just bad at remembering. :P 

I do remember years ago hearing someone say a word they must have encountered only in writing - they said "ogg-ree", but in the context I knew they were talking about ogre.

failing adult

nougat 

I do it all the time with most words  because im a bad speaker , but nougat really lept out to me as an example 

"Awry". It's uh-WRIE (last syllable rhymes with high) but I thought for the longest time it was AW-ree. Not one you ever hear, but I read it and thought it was a cool word I should start using, before I knew the pronunciation! 

• Like 3