Six Nations Rugby Championship

PorcupineOfDoom

PorcupineOfDoom

Anyone else excited for this year's Six Nations? Considering we barely beat Italy and Wales a couple of months ago I'm fully expecting Scotland to get absolutely pumped by England and France, but we're miles better to watch now than we were 5 or 6 years ago. Most likely it will be between England and France for the title, probably with England edging it again, but hopefully we get another competitive tournament.

Alaska Native Manitou

Me too. 🌎

PorcupineOfDoom

I didn't actually realise there was another Six Nations haha, I guess that's one more way Europe and North America are on different pages 😛 Edited the title to hopefully lessen the confusion

PorcupineOfDoom

I don't mind watching League, but it's not really played at all up here so I'm much more familiar with Union. Plus I love a good jackal 😛

As a Scot though I have to follow the Anyone But England principal, mostly because we're bitter that your team is always better than ours :D

As much as I'd hate to say it, but if the All Blacks are there, they'd probably win it as always

I just really hope Italy have found some new talent to bring to it. It'd be sad to see them get pulled out of the six nations in the future.

PorcupineOfDoom

I know everyone says this every year, but Italy looked pretty good in the autumn. We only squeezed past them once they started to fade 60 minutes in, which is still one of their big sticking points. People underrate them but they're a stronger side than Georgia at the moment, so swapping one for the other isn't the solution imo. If the tournament was expanded to include Georgia it would probably benefit both sides more than any promotion/relegation system would.

PorcupineOfDoom
On 2/4/2021 at 3:28 PM, PorcupineOfDoom said:

Italy looked pretty good in the autumn

Alright, forget I said that 😬

Yeah, I not long got back home and checked the score. A shame, then again they were against France. Let's hope they pick it up later.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:04 PM, Karst said:

I opened this thread expecting something about the other Six Nations...

same

and I thought the other six nations would fight off, which I find interesting

but now I regret opening this because I don't like footall (or soccer)

On 2/3/2021 at 4:35 PM, PorcupineOfDoom said:

I didn't actually realise there was another Six Nations haha

*visible confusion*

don't other six nations exists everywhere???

PorcupineOfDoom
1 hour ago, A User said:

I don't like footall (or soccer)

It's rugby, but close enough ;)

1 hour ago, A User said:

*visible confusion*

don't other six nations exists everywhere???

To be fair, the Six Nations Championship is a big thing over here - Scotland is a bit crap at everything else so there isn't much else for us to look forward to 😛 It isn't until the 8th page of Google that something that isn't rugby related comes up when I search 'six nations', so usually that's what I would associate with it.

Just now, PorcupineOfDoom said:

Six Nations Championship is a big thing over here - Scotland is a bit crap at everything else so there isn't much else for us to look forward to 😛 It isn't until the 8th page of Google that something that isn't rugby related comes up when I search 'six nations', so usually that's what I would associate with it.

idk why This is what I think when I hear six nations

On 2/4/2021 at 4:28 PM, PorcupineOfDoom said:

I know everyone says this every year, but Italy looked pretty good in the autumn. We only squeezed past them once they started to fade 60 minutes in, which is still one of their big sticking points. People underrate them but they're a stronger side than Georgia at the moment, so swapping one for the other isn't the solution imo. If the tournament was expanded to include Georgia it would probably benefit both sides more than any promotion/relegation system would.

I don't really watch rugby as my first contact with the sport on the screen was just the extended highlights of the last World Cup on YT, but I did some reasearch and it struck me how limited those rugby tournaments were in terms of who gets to participate. I really think there should at least be some sort of qualification round or promotion/relegation system or just expand the 6N or the equivalent event for the South. How else is the sport supposed to flourish? 

Of course, as I said, my contact with the sport is minimal, so feel free to ignore it :) 

Alaska Native Manitou

You added the word "Championship."  I probably still would have come here looking for a post about lacrosse.

PorcupineOfDoom
2 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I really think there should at least be some sort of qualification round or promotion/relegation system or just expand the 6N or the equivalent event for the South. How else is the sport supposed to flourish? 

There are other international championships in Europe, but the main problem with them is that Georgia is so far ahead of everyone else - they've won 11 of the last 13 tournaments, and they've lost 1 match since 2013. At the same time in the Six Nations, Italy are on a 28 game losing streak since beating Scotland in 2015. There's definitely a case for giving Georgia a shot, but if there was promotion/relegation all that would happen would be Georgia and Italy bouncing between the first and second division every year. Expanding to 7 or even 8 teams would make it more competitive at the other end of the table, but I don't think it's likely to happen any time soon. It's a shame because the Georgians and Romanians would add a lot to the tournament, and like you say, how's the sport meant to grow when the same 10 or so countries play amongst themselves and shut everyone else out?

• 2 weeks later...
PorcupineOfDoom

So, the Covid cases in the French team have gone from head coach Galthié and assistant Servat to Dupont, then Haouas and Villiere, now Vincent and Marchand. Anyone else get a sinking feeling that this might lead to matches being postponed again?

They probably will postpone, it'd be unfair for them to force France to use replacements - Dupont is such a key player.

PorcupineOfDoom

I think if it was just Dupont it would have went ahead, but now it's 10 players which is quite a crisis. I'd rather they played it safe and postponed it for a week, but unfortunately that means Scotland won't have Hogg, Russell, Harris, and Johnny Gray among others since they don't play for Glasgow or Edinburgh.

• 2 weeks later...
TheListener

Ok, this is a cool thread to have discovered! Ireland play Scotland next weekend. We usually have a great record against the Scots but I'm not so confident this year! 

England vs France will be very interesting as well. And what about Wales haha, can they pull off a Grand Slam?? 

Wales have been lucky this time. Couldn't believe the ref in the England v Wales match last Saturday, but it is what it is.

PorcupineOfDoom

Ireland seem to have become our bogey team so I'm not expecting much, although I'd hope we give you a better game than we did in the autumn.

On another note, it's definitely been the weirdest Six Nations that I can recall lol. Really bizarre that Wales have somehow won the Triple Crown despite looking unconvincing in all three matches so far, but you can only play what's in front of you and I suppose it doesn't matter how you win at the end of the day. France definitely look like the best team and I'd say they're still favourites for the title, but that's no guarantee that they won't slip up like they did last year against Scotland, especially with the impact Covid will have had on their preparation for the England match.

TheListener

The way this 6 Nations is going we'll lose to Scotland and then thump England. Or vice versa. I wonder will the Covid impact on France mean their players are nice and fresh or fairly rusty? Anyway we need to find a Welsh and Italian fan to contribute here and make it a full house! Predictions for next round? I'll go with Wales to beat Italy (actually this would be the perfect time for Italy to snatch a win!) France to beat England and Scotland and Ireland to end in a draw ha.

PorcupineOfDoom

It'd take a brave man to bet on Italy haha. The other ones could go either way, but on form I would expect France to beat England, and as a pessimist I always anticipate a Scotland loss 😛

Janus the Fox

Rarely watch the Rugby, but I'd take note on the Welsh score on occasions :P

• 3 weeks later...
PorcupineOfDoom

What a match to end the tournament! Thought for all money that Scotland had bottled it again, but somehow France managed to out-bottle us for once. What a bizarre season - Scotland beat England and France away for the first time in decades, yet somehow still finish 4th 😛 Makes for a few Lions selection headaches for Gatland.

Janus the Fox

Congrats for Wales :P

Archived