Gender neutral clothes

Neocaridina

For a long time the clothes that I feel the most comfortable in have been clothes that I would call "gender-neutral" - so (usually) the female version of clothes that can be found in either section of the store (female because I'm afab and quite thin and clothes that are too baggy look weird on me). That means I have been wearing black jeans, hoodies with zippers, t-shirts, long-sleeved t-shirts, plain sweaters and sneakers almost every day for 5-9 years now. And that's all well and good, but I am getting kind of bored of it. People also tend to think I'm a lot younger than I am, and when I complain about it to others they often say it's because I don't wear makeup. Well I don't want to do that, and I think I want to dress in a gender-neutral way in the future too. So how can I change my style a bit, perhaps towards something more "mature", but still maintain the gender-neutral theme? Those of you who dress in a gender-neutral/androgynous way, what do you wear?

I try to do neutral clothing, but it ebbs more on the side of male than female, and it is hard to have variety; at least in my opinion.

I generally go with:

Denim jeans; straight cut, "normal" blue colour, and as little detail as possible.
Plain coloured shirts; blues, blacks, greys - as I am not a fan of colour.
And then plain coloured jumper; not a hoodie/zip up; hoodies I find uncomfortable, zip-ups make me seem like someone who hasn't given up being a teenager. 

If you don't mind short hair, that definitely helps a more neutral look, as the longer the hair the more likely you are to be seen as female they say, whilst having hair halfway down their back

Plain colours are unfortunately a lot more neutral than anything with slogans/pictures on them. Sure, having a wonderful pick rucksack is nice, but people automatically go "Excuse me miss" (especially if you have a female body figure). But it's always good to experiment, I know some people who go with a black shirt, and an unbuttoned flannel shirt on top.

My partner tends to go with a more black-oriented clothing style; black trousers, shirt, etc. But they have a lot more branding/words/etc. on their clothes (but then again, they aren't too bothered about people seeing them as their sex)

But at the end of the day, what does it matter which clothes you wear? As long as you're comfortable, and happy, with what you're wearing, that's all that matters. Want to wear a frilly dress with a leather jacket on top? Go for it! Long jeans an a crop top? Do it! An all black ensemble from head to toe? WOO! If someone thinks you look like a teenager due to your clothing choices, that's fine.

Less satisfying answer: clothes have no gender, wear whatever you want.

Longer answer: honestly, I'd say try a variety of clothes, see what you like best, and alter them from there for your situation and what's most practical for your needs. Personally when I'm feeling more gender neutral, I'll do more tribal/unique styles. If it's for a semi-formal thing, I'll do a tshirt, blazer, skinny jeans, and nice shoes.

There are a lot of really cool ways to alter formal wear to be more unique and gender neutral, which would air more towards a more mature look. In my experience, the more unique a style is for the person, the less gender is a factor. (That applies to dresses, too, btw) there a lot of cool ways to mix and match outfits/accessories. :)

Archived