Master US Political Discussion Thread

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

I'm just chiming in here with a friendly, helpful reminder (in order to make sure this thread stays on topic) that staff posted this message regarding topics about Israel and Palestine.

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/267100-israel-and-palestine/?do=findComment&comment=1065153525

Thank you, for your cooperation and for helping be a part of keeping AVEN a welcoming space.

It's appreciated.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

(covering the "Philosophy, Politics, and Science" forum)

45 minutes ago, Lysandre, the Star-Crossed said:

I'm always amazed at how low the bar both parties fail to clear is, I feel like a group of 7 year olds could run this country better.

I think the time has come to admit that there is a big difference between the parties on how they behave, with the GOP being awarded the prize given for childish and cruel behavior.  

• Like 4
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed
13 hours ago, Sally said:

I think the time has come to admit that there is a big difference between the parties on how they behave, with the GOP being awarded the prize given for childish and cruel behavior.  

A hard punch in the arm is better than a sharp stick in the eye, but that doesn't make it good.

Saying one thing is worse than another thing isn't the same as saying either thing is good. If two things aren't good, it's still possible one is worse then the other. Maybe even much worse. Beware of false equivalency. :) 

• Like 6

If people would rather lick cherry-flavored jackboot than plain that's their prerogative, but I'm not going to stop pointing that out. Complacency is what got us into this mess.

I agree that both parties are problematic and neither are perfect or even great. That being said, from an outsider perspective at least the Biden seems sane as does Harris and other Democratic leaders. Back in the 60s even at the height of the Yippie movement, no serious Dem leader would embrace Reuben and Hoffman. The GOP will apparently embrace anyone.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Lysandre, the Star-Crossed said:

If people would rather lick cherry-flavored jackboot than plain that's their prerogative, but I'm not going to stop pointing that out. Complacency is what got us into this mess.

No, what got us into this mess is the lack of critical thinking.  I certainly don't know any complacent Democrats; we recognize we need to fight like hell.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sally said:

No, what got us into this mess is the lack of critical thinking.  I certainly don't know any complacent Democrats; we recognize we need to fight like hell.  

They do more fighting with each other than anything.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-zelenskyy-g-20-summit-politics-united-nations-55352ee51c2ad3eeef55281a754e5479

I think Putin will be about as compliant as Saddam was, except this time I'm really hoping we don't get involved.

20 hours ago, Lysandre, the Star-Crossed said:

They do more fighting with each other than anything.

Apparently you didn't watch the multi-day fight the Republicans had on TV just trying to vote in a House leader.  That almost turned into a physical fight among themselves.   

2 hours ago, Sally said:

Apparently you didn't watch the multi-day fight the Republicans had on TV just trying to vote in a House leader.  That almost turned into a physical fight among themselves.   

... and 2+2=4, your point is?

For your information I did watch that, and I found it both disgusting and amusing. That has nothing to do with anything I've said.

https://apnews.com/article/education-sex-new-hampshire-state-government-concord-702ef27280b184d58db637b93cd5a3e9

Novel approach to the infamous gendered bathroom question, I'm generally supportive here. That being said, this definitely is majorly inconvenient and inefficient for those of us with the applicable organs to use the now-forbidden fixtures.

2 hours ago, Lysandre, the Star-Crossed said:

... and 2+2=4, your point is?

For your information I did watch that, and I found it both disgusting and amusing. That has nothing to do with anything I've said.

My point is:  Dems don't do that shit.  So your claim that they do more fighting with each other "than anything" is ridiculous.  

Alaska Native Manitou

If Democrats have less infighting, it's due to the moderates constantly silencing progressives.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sally said:

My point is:  Dems don't do that shit.  So your claim that they do more fighting with each other "than anything" is ridiculous.  

I'm sorry that you don't understand hyperbole, should I spell it out for you? 

https://www.theblaze.com/news/new-york-city-teachers-fingerprints-fbi-mandate

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nyc-teachers-fired-covid-vaccine-outraged-mandate-migrants-illegal-unethical-insane

Not the greatest news sources but sufficient for discussion...

Discriminatory unconstitutional policies targeting contracted employees who refused to allow the terms of their employment to implemented by the whims of the local government....yeah, sounds about right. 

Let me get this straight:  The environment on Capitol Hill is so bad that after Senator Fetterman spent six weeks trying to work with the other 99 Senators, he was so severely depressed that he had to be hospitalized?  The country is not okay!  (Wishing Senator Fetterman a speedy recovery.)

20 hours ago, AspieAlly613 said:

Let me get this straight:  The environment on Capitol Hill is so bad that after Senator Fetterman spent six weeks trying to work with the other 99 Senators, he was so severely depressed that he had to be hospitalized?  The country is not okay!  (Wishing Senator Fetterman a speedy recovery.)

To be fair, it's known that depression often follows strokes.  It didn't help that he went immediately into a high-pressure environment, though, and also not having had time to rehabilitate from the cognitive-processing consequences of the stroke.  My late partner had the same problems after he had a stroke and it took a long time for him to again feel confident in communicating, and he wasn't in the pressure-cooker atmosphere poor Fetterman is.   

• Like 3

I always thought it was weird that Captain Kirk was referenced in that song. I don't know that much about Star Trek, but I don't think Kirk was doing space dogfighting or anything.

6 hours ago, Still said:

I always thought it was weird that Captain Kirk was referenced in that song. I don't know that much about Star Trek, but I don't think Kirk was doing space dogfighting or anything.

I think it's more that everyone feels like they're a Captain Kirk. A brave hero who isn't afraid to buck the rules when need be and screw the consequences. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Alaska Native Manitou

Hillary Clinton (who previously called non-white Americans "superpredators") has now come out as a TERF.  Yet centrists don't know why leftist don't trust mainstream Democrats.

7dk3wv.jpg

Edited by Alaska Native Manitou
  • Like 1
On 3/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, Alaska Native Manitou said:

Hillary Clinton (who previously called non-white Americans "superpredators") has now come out as a TERF.  Yet centrists don't know why leftist don't trust mainstream Democrats.

7dk3wv.jpg

To be fair, I did some checking and I think it would be slightly more accurate to say she is doing the classic neoliberal thing of “we can’t do trans rights now, we have other issues to deal with.” 

Sometimes you just have to decide that you can set the timetable of another persons freedom, you know? Maybe we should wait for a more convenient season.

• Like 1

Hillary said this in 1996, in a speech that nowhere mentioned non-white or African-American kids:

"But we also have to have an organized effort against gangs," Hillary Clinton  said in a C-SPAN video clip. "Just as in a previous generation we had an organized effort against the mob. We need to take these people on. They are often connected to big drug cartels, they are not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kinds of kids that are called superpredators — no conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first, we have to bring them to heel."

There's some fair criticism, and apologies, if you read the whole thing. Picking out a mistake from the past is one thing, but there's more to it, especially if people learn from their mistakes. It's also not equivalent or comparable to ideas or stances people adhere to currently and unapologetically. Or that they lean into and hold on to tightly in the face of being shown why it's a problem. I'd say that's one of the differences between being woke and being asleep (or covering one's ears and going "lalalalalala I can't hear you" :P ).

Not that anyone is above criticism either. (although some people may be less relevant than they may have been in the past)

• Like 2

“Looking back, I shouldn’t have used those words, and I wouldn’t use them today,” Clinton said.

I agree with Dave. I think we all say things and then later regret them. I don't like Clinton, but that's not because of something she said 30 years ago and has regretted. I dislike her because she's an establishment Democrat.

• Like 1
Alaska Native Manitou

I posted that knowing that it included the apology.  It was in response to a post dishonestly claiming that the quote had nothing to do with minorities. Hillary herself effectively admitted it.  So don't gaslight that it wasn't the dog whistle that it was.

Don't forget who Hillary is.  Or that she's in the news now for saying that trans rights don't really matter.

RoseGoesToYale

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/ron-desantis-hit-ethics-complaint-trump-super-pac-rcna74977

Good. They've started attacking each other. The more they attack each other, the less time they spend attacking everyone else and the saner the Democrats will look.

• Like 3
On 3/11/2023 at 6:06 PM, Alaska Native Manitou said:

I posted that knowing that it included the apology.  It was in response to a post dishonestly claiming that the quote had nothing to do with minorities. Hillary herself effectively admitted it.  So don't gaslight that it wasn't the dog whistle that it was.

Don't forget who Hillary is.  Or that she's in the news now for saying that trans rights don't really matter.

Hillary is not a current politician, nor does she hold any government office, and she has not said that trans right don't really matter.