Master US Political Discussion Thread

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

I'm just chiming in here with a friendly, helpful reminder (in order to make sure this thread stays on topic) that staff posted this message regarding topics about Israel and Palestine.

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/267100-israel-and-palestine/?do=findComment&comment=1065153525

Thank you, for your cooperation and for helping be a part of keeping AVEN a welcoming space.

It's appreciated.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

(covering the "Philosophy, Politics, and Science" forum)

4 hours ago, Nick2 said:

This has happened a lot in the past but states just made it work.  Now the Republicans want to make a stink about it.  It is that simple.

True

Alabama is pulling the same thing.

There's no reason they couldn't work something out, if they choose democracy over partisanship.

6 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

Would people be able to write him in on the ballot?

I believe so, but making people write someone in could make the difference between winning and losing in a close race (not sure it would be close in Ohio; pretty sure it won't be close in Alabama).

Olallieberry

Is there a link to an explanation of this issue, please? I haven't heard one word about it other than one early state's primary, which he already won. It wasn't a November ballot issue at all.

On 4/15/2024 at 3:22 AM, Olallieberry said:

Is there a link to an explanation of this issue, please? I haven't heard one word about it other than one early state's primary, which he already won. It wasn't a November ballot issue at all.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/biden-miss-deadline-november-ballot-ohio-states-election-108996446

Ohio's deadline to certify presidential candidates for the general election is Aug. 7, nearly two weeks before the Democratic National Convention, at which Biden is expected to be nominated to run against Republican challenger Donald Trump.

Ohio law requires that presidential candidates be certified 90 days before the general election, which is on Nov. 5 this year, said a letter written last week by Paul DiSantis, chief legal counsel for Republican Secretary of State Frank LaRose.