Master US Political Discussion Thread

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

I'm just chiming in here with a friendly, helpful reminder (in order to make sure this thread stays on topic) that staff posted this message regarding topics about Israel and Palestine.

https://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/267100-israel-and-palestine/?do=findComment&comment=1065153525

Thank you, for your cooperation and for helping be a part of keeping AVEN a welcoming space.

It's appreciated.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

(covering the "Philosophy, Politics, and Science" forum)

This can be a place to talk about any aspect of US politics from Biden to elections to Congress or anything else.

Edited by Iam9man
Changed title as agreed with OP
  • Like 1
failing adult

im from the uk and we pay way too much attention to us politics, and im still confused

4 minutes ago, failing adult said:

im from the uk and we pay way too much attention to us politics, and im still confused

why

I'm from Canada and we literally live RIGHT NEXT TO AMERICA

anyways
why did biden cancel the pipeline thing, if it took off 1000 jobs or so.

failing adult
2 minutes ago, A User said:

why

I'm from Canada and we literally live RIGHT NEXT TO AMERICA

anyways

why do we pay so much attention?

well i suppose its the same reason so many countries around the world pay attention, they have an invested interest. The amount of international power the US wields is insane, and please take offence, but the US has a nasty habit of butting into conflicts that really have nothing to do with them.

So many countries, mine included, love sticking our noses in where they most definitely don't belong and we usually make everything a whole lot worse.

Its just the fact that the US is a huge military power, with over 800 bases all across the world in over 70 countries.

for a bit of context  'Britain, France and Russia, by contrast, have about 30 foreign bases combined.'

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, failing adult said:

why do we pay so much attention?

well i suppose its the same reason so many countries around the world pay attention, they have an invested interest. The amount of international power the US wields is insane, and please take offence, but the US has a nasty habit of butting into conflicts that really have nothing to do with them.

So many countries, mine included, love sticking our noses in where they most definitely don't belong and we usually make everything a whole lot worse.

Its just the fact that the US is a huge military power, with over 800 bases all across the world in over 70 countries.

for a bit of context  'Britain, France and Russia, by contrast, have about 30 foreign bases combined.'

makes sense

Mackenzie Holiday
9 minutes ago, A User said:

why did biden cancel the pipeline thing, if it took off 1000 jobs or so

Environmental reasons. Climate change is worse for everyone in the long run than losing those jobs is in the short term.

• Like 14
  • 2 weeks later...

Renamed thread to harmonise US/UK threads, as agreed with OP.

Iam9man

PPS Moderator

• Like 1

I just saw a video of Marjorie Taylor Greene walking through the tunnels of the Capitol with her colleagues. She posted it on Twitter. The camera focus turns to signage as they walk through. It's like a virtual tour of a secured location. I doubt that's allowed, but then again, we're talking about an insurrectionist.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2021 at 12:22 PM, A User said:

Because it's potentially quite dangerous, and those jobs are Canadianb jobs, not  American jobs.  

6 hours ago, Sally said:

Canadianb jobs

they are STILL important

even trudeau said he's "disapointed"

like cmon

they are STILL jobs either way

On 2/5/2021 at 7:58 AM, A User said:

they are STILL important

even trudeau said he's "disapointed"

like cmon

they are STILL jobs either way

Jobs are important, but the environmental risk of the pipeline is insane.

• Like 4

Even in Canada there were protests as the pipeline would have been built on indigenous lands. 

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, ben8884 said:

Even in Canada there were protests as the pipeline would have been built on indigenous lands. 

... yeah, that's my bad, totally forgetting/overlooking all the protests about indigenous lands. That's reason enough to not build the pipeline, just by itself.

• Like 5

So, Rush Limbaugh is dead.

Guy was more or less the voice of the right wing in the US for the last three decades. I for one was never a fan, but doing my best to not be disrespectful of someone's passing ... at least, not on the day itself...

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, rebis said:

I for one was never a fan, but doing my best to not be disrespectful of someone's passing ... at least, not on the day itself...

For someone who built an entire career on disrespecting the basic humanity of others, I don't think that's necessary.

The dude was a complete sack of shit, and if he didn't want me saying so on the day he died, then he shouldn't have wasted a lifetime being one.

• Like 10

Or, as this person put it:

Screenshot-2021-02-17-1-Iron-Spike-Iron-

(Twitter may be a cesspool, but it still really takes work to accomplish that.)

• Like 5

Limbaugh used to celebrate the deaths of AIDS patient on his show.

He can go to hell. Hopefully Henry Kissinger and Dick Cheney join him soon.

• Like 6

Why is it that Limbaugh's fans expect everyone to follow the Golden Rule when Limbaugh himself didn't (and let's be honest, that's why they loved him)? Limbaugh was apparently a Christian. None of the Christians I know would consider making fun of AIDS victims to be "loving thy neighbor as thyself". 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Sam Spade said:

Why is it that Limbaugh's fans expect everyone to follow the Golden Rule when Limbaugh himself didn't (and let's be honest, that's why they loved him)? Limbaugh was apparently a Christian. None of the Christians I know would consider making fun of AIDS victims to be "loving thy neighbor as thyself". 

In the world's continuingly most annoying anti-joke of all time, the US right wing mostly spends its time looking for ways to be offended and feel victimized. This is just another example in a long line. The pattern generally goes:

1. Say a slur or make some bigoted comment.

2. Get called out on it.

3. Bemoan the oppression of your free speech by easily-offended snowflakes.

• Like 9

Limbaugh deserves no respect because he never gave any to anyone else. He was a rotten despicable person. Good riddance to him!

• Like 8

Hello.

I just wanna say that biden's doing better than trump (so it seems)

agree to disagree pls

• Like 6