Acespec Lived Experiences Survey 2021

SpirallingSnowy

SpirallingSnowy

Acespec Lived Experiences Survey 2021

This survey has approval from the Research Approval board . I did not participate in the discussion or vote as I am one of the people behind this survey. This survey will be available for approx 2.5 weeks.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/acespec2021

Hi everyone, I’m Gemma, and off AVEN I am an admin for Australian Asexuals. 

Working together with  Kate & Daria from ACT Aces & Cas from Aces+ Melb, we are asking Aces from accross the world to complete the Acespec Lived Experiences Survey.

This survey asks questions of Asexuals that cover  microaggressions , religious discrimination, relationships , sexual violence, violence and threats , and healthcare.

There are multiple spots in the survey where people can find links to mental LGBTQIA+, health and trauma support. 

Every question is optional besides basic demographics. It does not ask for any personal details, however asks at the very beginning for a self-given identifier (anonymous or whatever you would  like to use) just to give a unique identifier  to your particular group of responses.

There are places in the survey for you to write extended answers and  includes questions asking you what you are happy for us /allow us to do with that information. It also states that’s the data may be used to be given to organisations and government organisations etc but it’s very clear this will be anonymous. 

It has over 110 questions so it’s quite extensive, but skips questions depending on your answers to previous ones. It can also be saved at any time before submission,  If you  need to take your  time/find it triggering etc and need to take a break.

We have created this survey as asexual advocacy and activism volunteers who want to show real data in the areas covered by the survey, and we are not backed by any uni or organisation. 

This survey came about after ACT Aces were looking to follow up last years survey with a new one for this year, and I was looking for evidence of asexuals needs from healthcare providers. 

Late last year myself and another Aus Aces admin had a meeting with a representative from the health policy section of NSW health , looking to have asexuality included in doctor training and health policies.

The final report of this survey will be made available.

This is the survey from last year, conducted by ACT Aces:

https://diversityact.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/ACT-Aces-Asexual-Experiences-Survey-Final-Report.pdf

If you’d like to know anything else, please ask ☺️

Gemma/SpirallingSnowy

As @SpirallingSnowy says, this survey has been approved by the Project Team / Research Approval Board (minus Snowy!) While it is on the long side, I encourage anyone who is able to to take it!

- michaeld (PT)

SpirallingSnowy

Ooh my bad was I supposed to do that but in pink? 

No, best one of the rest of us does it as you exempted yourself from the approval process (due to being one of the authors of the survey!)

SpirallingSnowy

I know this survey is very long and confronting in multiple places, but the  data gathered is very important and vital to asexual visibility and advocacy. Please take the time to complete it 💜

Weve had some great response from people but please keep it coming!

As a random point, I feel like "Healthcare provider" is a REALLY broad catagory (or am I misunderstanding), and so like... in some sense, I don't care if my trauma surgeon or ambulance officer know anything about asexuality (or any other sexuality for that matter).

There's a bunch of healthcare places where its important for people to have the know (psychiatry being the big one), but also a bunch where its just irrelevant. Would it make sense for the survey to be more focused in which TYPE of healthcare provider it is refering to?

SpirallingSnowy

That’s a very good point, however the original basis for the survey was to give some general lived experiences of asexuals in healthcare to provide data to a state health policy contact, as they wanted to know the basics of what asexuals wanted and need in a health care setting to show that there are things that currently aren’t being met by healthcare providers as a whole. Thst is why it is quite general. Once we have the basic data on this we may do a more detailed for specific types of healthcare providers. 

• 2 weeks later...
SpirallingSnowy

Hi all ☺️

Have you taken the Asexual Lived Experiences Survey yet? Or have you started it but not completed it?

We've had a huge number of responses... but only 59% are finished, with the DONE button clicked.

Here's a link: https://surveymonkey.com/r/acespec2021

Please go and click the DONE button at the end ☺️

( if that doesn’t take you to the survey you completed, put an ‘a’ at the end- there are 2 versions)

On another note:

Are you using a Samsung phone? We have been in touch with SurveyMonkey about people experiencing issues with the survey, + unfortunately they have given us the very unsatisfactory reply that this sometimes occurs. So far, we have only encountered the issue on Samsung devices.

If you are one of these people, get in touch with us and we will see if there is some workaround we can try.

We're sorry about this, butwe think we have figured out how to avoid it in the future.

SpirallingSnowy

OK 

So. The survey itself is 120 questions long but skips parts based on your answers.

We would really like you to complete it- ESPECIALLY given that the healthcare stuff is after the trauma stuff and if you don’t click complete it doesn’t think you are finished - even if there’s stuff you haven’t /couldn’t answer. Plus I would really love more ppl to complete the healthcare. Remember that you don’t have to have talked about your asexuality specifically to answer the 2 biggest healthcare questions, And the stats are really important to show asexual healthcare needs/ what we want from healthcare providers going forward. So we are included in healthcare policy etc. 

Send us an emsil at Australianasexuals@gmail.com with any issues/queries etc. 

18 hours ago, SpirallingSnowy said:

We would really like you to complete it- ESPECIALLY given that the healthcare stuff is after the trauma stuff and if you don’t click complete it doesn’t think you are finished - even if there’s stuff you haven’t /couldn’t answer.

well... the thing is...

I'm a minor and completely confused on whether I'm supposed to do it or not... oh yeah and, I don't like certain sites, but that's merely my preference

I don't wanna email either, so yeah....

SpirallingSnowy
1 hour ago, A User said:

well... the thing is...

I'm a minor and completely confused on whether I'm supposed to do it or not... oh yeah and, I don't like certain sites, but that's merely my preference

I don't wanna email either, so yeah....

Minors are welcome to complete it.

SpirallingSnowy

The Asexual Lived Experiences Survey is closing in just over 7 hours!!( midnight AEDT)

If you haven’t already completed it, haven’t finished filling it in, or still want to go back and finish a section ( like healthcare, which is at the end and needs more love 💜), now is the time to do so! Completion still stands at 56%, and we’d love that to be higher. 

Don’t be daunted by the number of questions, or alarmed if you get to the end of the Healthcare section and it says you only completed X number of 120 questions- it skips ones that aren’t relevant as you go. We would love ppl to make sure they fill in, and click complete at the end of the healthcare section. 

Even if you need to put NA/does not apply to me type answers through lots of questions, it still informs us where questions didn’t work or apply to people and allows us to know what areas we DO need to ask questions in /in a different way. 

We know that some people have had issues completing it, wether it be the long length, q’s not applying to them, or difficulty on their device completing it, and we really appreciate all the time people have taken to help us with this research. 

https://surveymonkey.com/r/acespec2021

If you haven’t finished completing it, and can’t complete it/ have had difficulties/want to comment , please click on the survey link snd use any of the boxes for extended responses to gives us more detailed answers/ send us an email. It’s important we know the difficulty people have had completing it, to better help us with future surveys. 

Australianasexuals@gmail.com

Thanks everyone who has participated!!

Archived