Fear of... going to the doctor

AnnaPanni

I have never been to gynecologist before, but I recently I decided this might be the time, because of some minor issues. I'm 19 and a virgin, but I'm hell of afraid of going to an unknown man (here gynecologist are almost only men, wtf), because of my orientation (extremely homophobe and women-hating coutry) .

What are your experiences about doctors? Is there something I should prepare myself for before going?

Well, I went to a gyno once.  I told them practically nothing about me, they examined my private parts, that was it.   Nothing to be afraid of.

I will be brave!

I don’t have any advice but I wish you luck! I’m sure it’ll be fine

:)

11 hours ago, AnnaPanni said:

I have never been to gynecologist before, but I recently I decided this might be the time, because of some minor issues. I'm 19 and a virgin, but I'm hell of afraid of going to an unknown man (here gynecologist are almost only men, wtf), because of my orientation (extremely homophobe and women-hating coutry) .

What are your experiences about doctors? Is there something I should prepare myself for before going?

I do believe you can request a female. They do tend to ask with these sort of things what sex you would prefer. For males they ask if you want a man or a female and for women they ask if you want a woman or a man. 

Well, I was 40 before I had my first gynecological exam so I'm probably not the best example! I don't see why your orientation would even need to be mentioned. The doctor I saw certainly has no idea of my sexual orientation. 

Can you choose at all who you see? Also remember that if you're truly uncomfortable about a doctor, you Can always leave. They can't really stop you--walk out of there naked if you have to! 

In my case, at least, it was pretty anticlimactic compared to what I had gotten myself stressed out over (hey, I had like 25 years of built up uncertainty and anxiety over it).

@AnnaPanni, you might want to consider posting in the Asexual Women thread in Musings and Rantings, this topic is often broached there

Archived