What is the most "generic" name you can think of?

Faleeria

(I hope this is the correct section to post this in!)

Earlier today, I was thinking about my name and how I don't like because it is very "generic" in my opinion (because I dislike it, I won't share it on here, sorry). Then, I suddenly started asking myself:

What is the most "generic" name people can come up with?

(I define "generic" as something that is used very often in the context of this question.)

Since there was no topic regarding this on AVEN, I decided to go ahead and create one myself. I would love to know, which names you see rather often where you live/online/etc.

Please keep in mind that this does not mean the names mentioned here are bad or anything, I'm really just interested to know what names appear often in other people's lives! (or in other words: we don't rate names here)

You can randomly post one/several name/s or maybe share some for a specific gender if you want (I'm mainly interested in forenames)!

John, Jack and Maria. Names of biblical protagonists in all languages can fall into this category depending on generation. But those three seem to be all-time favourites (they exist in severall variations, too). For family names things like Johnson (because *-son is again usually a biblical name with the indication of being a descendant). And names like Smith or Baker obviously because they named different occupations at some point.

Luftschlosseule

That's tied to where you are from. My first thought was Max Mustermann, then John Doe, then Mary Sue.

19 minutes ago, Luftschlosseule said:

That's tied to where you are from. My first thought was Max Mustermann, then John Doe, then Mary Sue.

lel

There are 'classic' names (like Marie, Louis(e), Alexandre, Pierre...) which are 'generic' but can be considered timeless and which are linked to history (family related or not). And yeah, trends which are big time and social markers. Like 'Lilou' which, to my eternal bewilderement, was given a LOT about ten years ago. Or the 'fruit' names trend which came afterwards. Or the 'name your great-grandparents hated revival' trend... 
I think the worst social markers are the  'names taken from a tv show / program' when you can't mistake where they are from. I once met 'Brendon' and 'Brenda' twins and yeah... that's tough.

I understand not liking your own name (I've never liked mine) but I always take a lot of solace reading the worst names of the year list registered by the civil officials . 2020's just came out and you can be glad you are not called 'Jesus Power', 'Dauphin' (yes, that's 'dolphin' in French) or 'Korona'. One of my friends who is a teacher has a Panpan in his classroom (that's 'Thumper' in French) and Elon Musk called his son X ae A 12...
I always wonder what the parents are thinking. Why would you do this to your child? ^^'

So yeah, a bit generic ain't so bad. I'd take it over too 'unique' any day 😅

1 hour ago, Still said:

John Smith

Pretty much ^

And, Harry , Tom, Sam, James.

Real Estate RICO

Jimmy

BxB Hulk and Akira Tozawa would agree with me on this

PorcupineOfDoom

In Scotland the most common name for guys my age is Calum. In my year group in high school there were about 50 guys, and 8 of them were called Calum. And once I got to uni there were multiple guys with that name in every class - even in one class where there were only 20 people and half of them were from other countries, there were still 2 Scottish guys called Calum.

Jonas, Benjamin, Emma and Mia have been quite common children names for a few years now in Germany. There are also, like, a baziilion people named Philipp and Michelle.

Andrew, Dylan, Nick - I know at least 4 of them each around my age group, more so when I just think of other people I've heard of

David and Kate/Katie come to mind, but a lot of it is generational- for baby boomers, John, Bob, Linda, and Mary are generic, for Gen X, Joe, Karen, and Susan are pretty generic, I'm not sure I can think of generic Millennial names, but Hannah, Emily, Ava, Jake, and Ben are pretty generic Gen Z names.  I was also in a class once with 3 Daniels (there were only 6 people in the class), so that was interesting. 

Depends on the culture and the generation.  There was not a single John in my year in elementary school, but there were four girls named Natalie (out of ~60 students, so that's more than 10% of the girls), but that wouldn't have happened most places—the town was small, mostly Francophone, and "Natalie" must have been popular the year I was born.  So I'd expect to find a lot of "John Smith"s in rural England (also "John Johnson"s and "John Brown"s), but in Japan, I would expect more people named "Tatsuki Yamada" than "John Smith".

In Europe and cultures with strong European influence, though, I would expect derivatives of Latin Iohannes (John, Jack, Jean, Ian, Ivan, Evan, Giovanni, Hans . . .) to be the most common first name.  Christianity insinuated its way into the name-stocks in most of Europe like a virus, that was the most popular Biblical men's name in a lot of the countries involved, and boys' names tend to be chosen more conservatively than girls'.  Petros derivatives (Peter, Pierre, Pedro . . .) and Iacobus derivatives (James, Jim, Jacob, Yakov, Diego . . .) are also common, for similar reasons.

In cultures where Islam is prominent, "Mohammed" and variations are going to be the most common of all.

(And all of that no doubt sounds like I know more about this than I do. 😅)

Waist of Thyme
13 hours ago, DGT said:

"Super Hero" cover names are like that: Clark Kent, Diana Prince, Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, etc.

This Is Why Teens Generally Don't Get to Choose Their Names – Commonplace  Fun Facts

I realize now as I'm about to hit Submit Reply that I misread the post I'm quoting, but I thought people still might enjoy the image.

Luftschlosseule

Oh, oh, oh! For a while, it felt as if I were only meeting people called Chris, Chris in all flavours: Christian, Christopher, just-call-me-Chris and then you had three people who responded to Chris and it was very confusing.

Graham, Bruce and Murray are very common where I am.

Dave/David is the first one that comes to mind. I know so many  Daves that they're known by their surname or their wife's name.  There's quite a  few  Ians, Peters, and Johns as well. And  Bens, but they tend to  younger.  Ben is  probably the next Dave. 

Sue is the only women's name i can think of that's as common. 

4 hours ago, Bluebellstar said:

Graham, Bruce and Murray are very common where I am.

Even without looking at your location I could tell you weren't from the US. :lol: 

For some reason those names are not so common here.

For context I'm Canadian. For a fictional character, I would say Bob Jones or Jack Smith or something like that. Irl, I know so many guys named Michael. Lots of Daniel's too. For girls, Emma, Anna and Hannah. 

Lisa, Erik, Lars

Look they are all 4 letter names.

J. van Deijck

I would go with Anna. This name exists basically everywhere.

Here where I live, most of the men seem to be called Dirk, Mark or Stefan. I know at least 5 of each just in my workplace alone.

Bob , Sam, Dave James Linda. 

Bob, Larry, scott, steve, karen, luaren, nancy, bella, alice, any form if charlie, Tom n jacob oh and Tony 

My name is Sarah, and I've met a crap ton of other Sarahs. I've also known a lot of Ashleys.

Dan, Allie, Catelyn/Caitlin/Katelyn/Kaitlyn/Kaitlynn (I knew so many Kaitlyns at one point lol), Sharon, Pat, Mark

And Sam of course 

Archived