Is the Ace of Spades only for AroAces?

I learned a little while ago that the ace playing card is one of the symbols of asexuality. I've been planning a very personal tattoo for myself, part of which included a pawprint/spade hybrid as a subtle reference to my ace identity since some of the art and other media referencing asexuality used the ace of spades so I kind of defaulted to that.

More recently one article that I read specified that the ace of spaces was for aromantic aces and the ace of hearts was for romantic aces. I want to find out whether this is a strict distinction within the community as I am not aromantic and certainly don't want to steal anyone else's symbols for my own use. 

Photo of the sort of spade/pawprint design I was thinking of incorporating (just the center design, not the whole playing card)

spacer.png

• Like 1
Grey-Ace Ventura

Yeah spades are for aros, diamonds for demis, clubs for greys, and hearts for romantics. Although if you turn that pawprint upside down and remove the little stem, it is heart shaped.

• Like 3

Basically what was said above, just want to mention that the demi and grey symbols for ace cards count for both romantic and sexual attraction. E.g. a grayromantic asexual and graysexual would both be clubs

but honestly, I think a lot of people agree, ace of spades is the preferred and best card symbol :( wish I could call myself an ace of spades correctly

• Like 1

Technically, yes, at least according to Wikipedia - but I really wouldn't worry about "stealing" the symbol if it resonates with you, because so few people know what an asexual person is anyway, let alone what the suits refer to! I doubt any aros will mind you using the spade; it's objectively the coolest looking suit, and besides, plenty of people who aren't aroaces wear spade earrings and the like just because they think the shape is neat. I'd say don't let this be your determining factor, because it's just such an obscure fact that it won't really cause any problems for you, and I'd wager that the vast majority of aroaces simply don't care. Go for it!

• Like 2

The ace of spades is also known as death card, I just mention that so to say it can be interpreted in more that one ways. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...