Favorite Harry Potter character

N.lilibet1115

N.lilibet1115
On 1/10/2021 at 9:27 PM, Memento1 said:

I have a soft spot for Snape's storyline.  I also have a strong affinity for Remus Lupin: INFJ like me!

On 1/11/2021 at 3:30 AM, Comrade Tal said:

I must say, how Snape's storyline ended up I can't go past him

On 1/11/2021 at 3:57 AM, theV0ID said:

Based purely on the books, Hermione. Nothing would have been achieved without her, but she has plenty of annoying qualities and childish idiocy to make her character "real". But my perspective is heavily influenced by years of reading fanfiction, so it's actually Snape.

Definitely not a Snape fan. What do you guys like about him?

Edit: Just curious of other perspectives of him.

N.lilibet1115
On 1/12/2021 at 12:43 PM, Marinette Agreste said:

I cant believe I forgot to mention Neville!! He is the character that I must protect and take care of

Neville!!!! I think he has some of the best Character development

1 hour ago, nazokashii said:

I can definitely relate to that sentiment - when I re-read the books for the course, I didn't really like Ron that much at all. I think what my young self wanted was really to be in the family and not necessarily be like Ron... or I had a very different view of him back the, who knows. It's interesting how one's own opinion of different characters can change so much over time/with reading things again.

He has his moments (both when his humour lands and that he had enough character to make up with both Hermione and Harry), but overall he's very abrasive, and I get the feeling Harry might not have stuck around if he wasn't A) thoroughly abused, and B) undesiredly famous.

One of the biggest changes I've noticed is that I don't share Harry's hate for Dudley or Draco anymore. Especially Draco, I either didn't notice or didn't care the first time around seeing his father publicly snap at him in the second book, or how he had a reaction to the dementors on par with Ginny and Neville. Knowing the plot, I definitely admire both of their coming arounds into better people.

1 hour ago, N.lilibet1115 said:

I like characters who are unapologetically nasty but do good things anyway. In real life bullies suck, but in fiction they can be interesting and enjoyable. In contrast I hate characters like Dumbledore who come across as caring, admirable people but do awful things while pretending to be kind and noble. 

7 hours ago, N.lilibet1115 said:

I think it's because he had a very painful, lonely childhood that led him to be a complex mess as an adult.  I can deeply relate to that.  He feels like the most lonely character to me: as a child he was poor, raised by neglectful (possibly abusive) parents, bullied, had no siblings and one single authentic friend (whom he lost to his bully).  As an adult, he led a double life, beloved by neither side, closing his thoughts off from friend and foe.  I think he lived with a lot of internalized pain, and no one (besides Dumbledore) who really cared.  He lived, and died, alone, neither asking for nor receiving praise for his good deeds.

Yes, he was cruel, and I'm not defending his behavior.  I don't think he's some saint or look up to him as a role model.  His selfless acts do not redeem his selfish ones, any more than his selfish acts spoil his selfless ones.  If anything, that's WHY I like his storyline: he's complex, neither a villain nor a hero.  I also am neither: I try my best, but often can be overrun by my unprocessed pain and loneliness, compelled to push people away and hurt them before I am hurt.  I know what that feeling of distrust is, that internalized, repressed pain, the self-imposed loneliness.  I think I "like" Snape not because I admire him, but because I can relate to him.  I think, in the end, Harry did as well.  Harry could very well have turned out like Snape if he hadn't had parents and friends who loved him, and if others hadn't shown him kindness, patience, and love.  Indeed, Snape showed tremendous loyalty and sacrifice for the few who did.

To repeat: I'm not looking to convince anyone to love Snape, nor am I saying he deserved better.   I think most people hate Snape because he's a projection of their own bullies, and their anger towards their bullies is the only thing that drives them to take action to protect themselves and others.  If that anger is still needed, then by all means utilize it.

I guess spoiler warning for anyone who hasn't read the last book.

Fred Weasley was always my fave, or at least top 3. I recall enjoying Nearly Headless Nick and the prankster ghost as well; I once read a fanfic of Fred and the prankster ghost standing together after Fred dies, and how sad he was that Fred wasn't going to stay forever and keep pulling pranks with him in the school. Legit cried for that and the ending of the last book.

15 hours ago, N.lilibet1115 said:

At first I didn't care for him, but his death scene sorta connected a few dots and things made sense. AFter that, it shown a completely different side to him which just clicked with me.

AllTheWrongVibes

The school nurse, I can’t remember how to spell her name for the life of me. It’s Madam Pom-something that I can’t spell. She’s always there, doesn’t ask questions, and is probably the most reliable character in the entire series.

I have 3 faves.
Remus Lupin, Cedric Diggory and Gelart Grindlewald (Jamie era) 

• 1 month later...
spencexists

Luna because shes fucking ICONIC, and Fred and George because I'm also very close to my twin and I relate to them, and let me tell you I fucking BURST into tears every time I think about one dying.

• 4 weeks later...
Fictionlover93

Severus Snape and Tom Riddle. 

Wizard10538

Albus Dumbledore. He's wise, witty, has some great quotes and reminds me of my other favourite fictional wizard, Gandalf. 

I don't think I had a strong attachment to any of the characters in the books. I guess I was sad when

Spoiler

Hedwig died. 🤷‍♀️

• 2 months later...
Purplegems3
On 1/10/2021 at 10:31 PM, N.lilibet1115 said:

Who is your favorite Harry Potter character(s)?

Luna Lovegood is my overall favourite Harry Potter character but Horace Slughorn is my favourite from my own house

jellyfish_cake

Hagrid's Hippogriff... and Hagrid

Hmm...

Fred and George Weasley

Charlie Weasley

Remus Lupin

Hagrid

Newt Scamander

Hermione, although it takes a little to warm up to her. 

Hedwig, assuming she counts as a character.

I've loved Snape for the longest time but I also quite like Neville

SorryNotSorry

Does the magic itself count as a character?

StarryNightAllAlone

Newt Scamander

Heaven in hiding

Josh and Fred. They're so funny in hp films I love them. But I know in the book they are also revengeful. I think I started to love this twins when they foiled Dolores' lesson and kicked her out

N.lilibet1115

I can’t believe people are still replying! Thanks everyone!!! 

N.lilibet1115
On 6/23/2021 at 4:31 AM, Woodworker1968 said:

Does the magic itself count as a character?

Totally 

Archived