Favorite Harry Potter character

N.lilibet1115

N.lilibet1115

Sorry if there’s already a thread somewhere

Who is your favorite Harry Potter character(s)?

Outside of the golden trio - Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Ginny Weasley, and Luna Lovegood

Clearly I can’t pick one 😂

Galactic Turtle

It's only once I saw this thread that I realize I've never had a favorite HP character!

But Hermione certainly left the biggest impression on me. Without her, I'm sure the rest of them would all be dead. 

Fraggle Underdark

So many good characters but probably Hermione, Snape or Dumbledore.

Hermione and the twins

I don't really have a favorite, but I really like Newt Scamander, he's a cool magical zoologist who just wants to study magical creatures and be a good person. 

If I have to pick from the original book/movie characters, I can't pick just one because Remus Lupin is awesome, but so is Minerva McGonagall. 

I actually agree with @Skylord about Newt (one of those rare cases where the leading character is one of my favorites). When I was reading the original HP series, my favorite character kept changing and I could never settle on anything, so I just gave up choosing 😅🤷‍♀️

I have a soft spot for Snape's storyline.  I also have a strong affinity for Remus Lupin: INFJ like me!

I must say, how Snape's storyline ended up I can't go past him

Based purely on the books, Hermione. Nothing would have been achieved without her, but she has plenty of annoying qualities and childish idiocy to make her character "real". But my perspective is heavily influenced by years of reading fanfiction, so it's actually Snape.

So many... Snape is always one to come to mind quickly, when his final storyline was revealed I just found it so very sad (and I love sad stories), and rereading the books knowing that just brings such an incredible nuance to them... then, I also really like Luna Lovegood (I did a university course on "Harry Potter and his worlds" (yes), and analyzed her for example, and I also really like her actress who has a lovely podcast now that i enjoy listening to a lot); Minerva McGonagall is also amazing (I recently read my first ever fanfiction on the suggestion of a friend, and it was "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" over at hpmor.com, which was very enjoyable, and if possible she is even more amazing there - a favourite from that fanfic is the author's interpretation of Alastor Moody, pure gold); Remus Lupin is just so kind and nice; the Weasley twins (especially because of their role in book 5), or really the whole Weasley family, are fantastic (when I was really young I even wanted to be Ron, so that I could be in that family, haha...) - actually yeah Molly is amazing, I'm thinking of the end of book 7 especially but even overall; Mrs Figg deserves a mention, even though she doesn't appear much; and has been said already, without Hermione there would only have been one book ^^ ... I could probably go on, but I'll stop here, ha! There are a lot of good characters, and honestly one of the few that I don't really like that much is Harry himself...

Blue eyes white dragon

I really love Luna Lovegood the most. Shes just so unique, creative, sweet, smart, curious, caring, and ignores the haters. I also like hermione for her passion and nerdiness but she can test my limits. I like Ron but he got the short end of the stick. Fleur is cool but I don't like how people treat her. I like movie Snape but he didnt get that much character growth. I like harry but he doesnt stand out (except for his obliviousness lol). I love Gred and Forge (my heart😭😭) and Peeves. Mcgonagall is great!! I love Draco for his potential.

18 minutes ago, nazokashii said:

I did a university course on "Harry Potter and his worlds"

OMG, seriously?  I would have LOVED to have that course when I was at college.

Also, I loved the way you described why Snape is so intriguing.  I do feel, knowing his final story, that there's so much nuance in re-reading the whole thing!

The Weasley twins for sure, though that's a tough toss up with McGonagall, Neville, and Luna. Hermione is just shy of the list. I two am binge read some fan-ficty stuff a while back and like that version of Charlie quite a bit too. Snape's a solid no from me though, I never felt like his character got redeemed.

8 hours ago, nazokashii said:

"Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" 

Off prompt, but the ending fight to that really bothered me. I don't think Harry could have pulled that off (I've never got the chance to whine about that before 😅)

14 hours ago, FreeWalker said:

Off prompt, but the ending fight to that really bothered me. I don't think Harry could have pulled that off (I've never got the chance to whine about that before 😅)

Ha, I agree with that! I didn't really like that at all honestly... there were also some other things I didn't enjoy so much/that bothered me. But overall, the fanfic was at least very interesting as a concept, and had some fun moments ^^

23 hours ago, Memento1 said:

OMG, seriously?  I would have LOVED to have that course when I was at college.

Yes ^^ it was a summer-time course which I did a couple of years ago just for fun, internet-based. So it wasn't that long or anything, but still nice :) I wouldn't even have described myself as that much of a "fan" before taking that course, having only read the books and seen the movies once... but thinking about it that much and intensively made me appreciate things I hadn't before ^^ I feel that's how it tends to be, I remember in "high school" when we had some obligatory book reading + analysis, and I didn't really like the book itself that much, but discussing it suddenly made it a LOT more fun...

Blue eyes white dragon

I cant believe I forgot to mention Neville!! He is the character that I must protect and take care of

Thinking about this more, I have to change to Seamus Finnagin. Showed up at Hogwarts, realised everyone was bonkers, tried to turn his OJ into rum the next morning, spent the rest of the series destroying stuff by "accident". Ten out of ten.

--hopes no one notices/cares I'm obsessing just a little too much over this new angle I've never beat to death about this series I don't really know why I like, and am absolutely not rereading for the first time since I was ten...--

I'm in love with Professor Sprout.

7 hours ago, FreeWalker said:

Thinking about this more, I have to change to Seamus Finnagin. Showed up at Hogwarts, realised everyone was bonkers, tried to turn his OJ into rum the next morning, spent the rest of the series destroying stuff by "accident". Ten out of ten.

Oh yeah, Finnigan is one of those sorts of funny ones, where if you notice it it always seems like he's almost accidentally blown himself up on several occasions

On 1/13/2021 at 9:32 AM, kyon. said:

Bottom is Snape. Screw that guy.

Could not have put that better myself.

My favourite characters would have to be James, Sirius and Remus. I cannot choose between the good Marauders. Aside from them, McGonagall all the way.

DarkStormyKnight

So many of them are really cool, I ADORE Hermione because I related to her a lot as a kid. Also McGonagall is incredible, and I've always loved the antics of the twins and the Marauder's gang.

Remus Lupin and Luna Lovegood!!

On 1/12/2021 at 5:43 PM, Marinette Agreste said:

I cant believe I forgot to mention Neville!! He is the character that I must protect and take care of

I relate to Neville and aspire to have the same glow up

The top for book three was Remus. Which was interesting, because I didn't care for him much when I was ten.

Halfway through Goblet of Fire, I'm really liking Sirius and "Moody". Ron frustrates me a lot more, and I have no words for how much I despise Snape.

1 hour ago, FreeWalker said:

[---] Ron frustrates me a lot more,[---]

I can definitely relate to that sentiment - when I re-read the books for the course, I didn't really like Ron that much at all. I think what my young self wanted was really to be in the family and not necessarily be like Ron... or I had a very different view of him back the, who knows. It's interesting how one's own opinion of different characters can change so much over time/with reading things again.

N.lilibet1115
On 1/10/2021 at 5:52 PM, Galactic Turtle said:

It's only once I saw this thread that I realize I've never had a favorite HP character!

But Hermione certainly left the biggest impression on me. Without her, I'm sure the rest of them would all be dead. 

Oh they absolutely would have been dead without her! 

N.lilibet1115
On 1/10/2021 at 7:04 PM, RuneWolf said:

Luna Lovegood, she reminds me a lot of myself.  :)

I love Luna so much. She's so amazing.

N.lilibet1115
On 1/10/2021 at 8:03 PM, Skylord said:

I don't really have a favorite, but I really like Newt Scamander, he's a cool magical zoologist who just wants to study magical creatures and be a good person. 

If I have to pick from the original book/movie characters, I can't pick just one because Remus Lupin is awesome, but so is Minerva McGonagall. 

Picking just one is so hard. Newt makes me so happy I just want movies where he's just taking care of his creatures.

Archived