Quasiromantic and Alterous, Where's the difference?

Itto

Hello,

As already said in the title I'm kinda confused what's the exact difference between quasiromantic and alterous. when I read the definition it kinda sounds similar to me and that confuses me even more lol 

Could you use both terms? Like you identify as quasiromantic BECAUSE you only experience alterous attraction,sensual and aesthetic attraction? Or would you rather identify as quasiromantic and poly-alterous instead?

thanks in advance!

idratherhavecake38

Alterous, sensual, and aesthetic attraction all fall under the category of tertiary attraction (i.e. not romantic or sexual). My understanding of quasiromantic is that you experience several kinds of tertiary attraction in a way that mimics romantic attraction. So if you feel alterous attraction in a way that does not mimic romantic attraction, but experience sensual and aesthetic attraction in a way that does mimic romantic attraction, then that could definitely be called alterous and quasiromantic.

Oberon Jasper

Quasiromantic usually means you can't tell the difference between platonic and romantic.

Alterous usually means it's platonic or romantic depending on the other party. If they want it to be platonic the feeling is platonic, but if they want it to be romantic it can become that.

For example, I'm homo/cupioromantic, but panalterous. I feel and can tell a difference between platonic and romantic, but I can swing either way if the other person wants. Idk if that made more or less sense.

14 minutes ago, Kieran :) said:

Quasiromantic usually means you can't tell the difference between platonic and romantic.

I thought that's qouiromantic/wtfromantic xD

32 minutes ago, idratherhavecake38 said:

Alterous, sensual, and aesthetic attraction all fall under the category of tertiary attraction (i.e. not romantic or sexual). My understanding of quasiromantic is that you experience several kinds of tertiary attraction in a way that mimics romantic attraction. So if you feel alterous attraction in a way that does not mimic romantic attraction, but experience sensual and aesthetic attraction in a way that does mimic romantic attraction, then that could definitely be called alterous and quasiromantic.

Okay so.. what if the alterous attraction mimics romantic attraction but sensual und aesthetic attraction doesn't mimic romantic attraction?

Oberon Jasper
4 minutes ago, Echø said:

I thought that's qouiromantic/wtfromantic xD

Maybe, lemme double check...

this is the aromantic wiki definition, I honestly don't know really either. The difference I see now is that quasi includes all types of attraction and alterous usually just means platonic/romantic

Someone who identifies as quasiromantic may see their attraction as non-traditional or may feel it differs from crushes, perhaps a mix between platonic, romantic, aesthetic, or somewhere completely different and/or it involves other non-traditional aspects, such as rare attraction, or attraction but non-physical, non-platonic but romantic, etc.

Quasi means "seemingly", or "apparently but not really". This means that other attractions can replace the romantic attraction, functioning as a romantic attraction.

idratherhavecake38
8 minutes ago, Echø said:

Okay so.. what if the alterous attraction mimics romantic attraction but sensual und aesthetic attraction doesn't mimic romantic attraction?

This is a link to the definition of quasiromantic. If alterous attraction mimics romantic attraction for you, that fits the definition perfectly.

16 minutes ago, idratherhavecake38 said:

This is a link to the definition of quasiromantic. If alterous attraction mimics romantic attraction for you, that fits the definition perfectly.

So like.. if the Alterous attraction i experience is like "i really like you as a friend or something and I want some kind of relationship with you,like a qpr so that we're exclusive but I'm not romantically attracted to you but I'd cuddled hug,hold hands and kiss you but no romo also don't wanna live together with u or share finances or marry " than it can be considered as quasiromantic?:D

idratherhavecake38
17 minutes ago, Echø said:

So like.. if the Alterous attraction i experience is like "i really like you as a friend or something and I want some kind of relationship with you,like a qpr so that we're exclusive but I'm not romantically attracted to you but I'd cuddled hug,hold hands and kiss you but no romo also don't wanna live together with u or share finances or marry " than it can be considered as quasiromantic?:D

Absolutely! As long as your alterous attraction 'mimics' romantic attraction, that's quasiromantic!

cinnamon-fae

I mean at the end of the day many of these terms overlap because the community is fairly large. While one part of it may primarily refer to Object A as quasiromantic, another part of the community may refer to Object A as alterous. They definitely appear to have overlap in what they're referencing. I'd say use whatever works best for you, and if that happens to be both of them then use both! 

8 minutes ago, cinnamon-fae said:

I mean at the end of the day many of these terms overlap because the community is fairly large. While one part of it may primarily refer to Object A as quasiromantic, another part of the community may refer to Object A as alterous. They definitely appear to have overlap in what they're referencing. I'd say use whatever works best for you, and if that happens to be both of them then use both! 

Okay!Guess I'll go with quasiromantic/bi-alterous:o

Archived