1. 1. Do you all like camping?

• Yesssss!!!
    • Heck to the no!
    • Depends/other

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, korik said:

most state parks at least have flush toilets and showers

Yeah, and other people. :P 

Getting away from it all for me includes getting away from other people (other than whoever I might be camping with). :) 

3 hours ago, korik said:

...most state parks at least have flush toilets and showers. - even if they are public. It's better than nothing. Usually. 

Yep. I've only ever camped in state parks with toilets and showers, so it didn't seem that bad, to me.

I'm in awe of those who tour across the country on foot, bicycle, etc. and pitch a tent a tent in the middle of nowhere.

Unleash the Echidnas
On 1/4/2021 at 7:49 PM, Remmirath said:

there might well be wolves around

True. People are really bad for wolves.

11 hours ago, daveb said:

Yeah, and other people. :P 

Getting away from it all for me includes getting away from other people (other than whoever I might be camping with). :) 

My most important thing is the hiking. So as long as there are some good trails out of the place, then I'm mostly ok. Like is said, I don't plan to be there more than a night or two anyway. Plus, if you can time it when it's Not at peak season. 

But, It's always going to depend on Who is camping near by you. 

A German comedian once said "Camping is when self-neglect is perceived as relaxation".

Hiking is just about my favorite thing in the world, and camping and hiking go together. So, I love camping because that's how to stay in a place with cool hiking without paying an arm and a leg for a hotel room.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:46 AM, PrimeJelly said:

Same 😭🤚

Same here. Having said that, I wouldn't mind trying.

OmegaTheMetamorphicDreamer

I was taken camping at least a couple times. It wasn't very fun, and I didn't see the appeal in it.

Aelin Galathynius

I like the different feeling of being in the bushes, living in a tent, the fresh air, the minimalistic style. 

The best part is probably being away from the internet and all the drama of Life. I just came back from a trip a week ago and I realised that I had forgotten all my worries while away because I was focussed on not dying in the bush. It's a very meal-to-meal type thing, and you don't really have any time to think about other things like the newest controversy on twitter. 

I haven’t gone camping in a long time. I miss it. Used to do it often as a kid. Not sure if I could actually do it now, but I would love to. 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:10 PM, LeChat said:

I'm in awe of those who tour across the country on foot, bicycle, etc. and pitch a tent a tent in the middle of nowhere.

:ph34r: To be honest with you, the whole adventure thing isn't that awe inspiring outside of the highlights. Lots of drudgery and cursing mosquitoes. Worth it though

• 2 weeks later...

I really like going on an adventure, I organized my car so I can always make a bed within 5 minutes or so (it's like a camper, but really small), no worries, no planning and no drama from other people.

Campgrounds and all of that organized stuff is nothing for me, I want to take a hike in the woods until I'm tired, go to my car on the parking maybe eat something and just go to sleep (without the snoring and stuff from the people in the tent next to mine). I never stay away longer than a couple of days and then go back home for a nice warm shower.

• 7 months later...

I haven't done it since I was a kid so I don't know. Probably not, but I'd like to give it a go.

I enjoy camping, take a notebook and a few pens and get away from technology for a while (even with my fear of insects, they've never been too much of a problem).  I haven't been camping for about two years, but if I had the means I would do so.

I've only been camping once (not really "camping, camping") It was ok, not optimal, but ok. 

I'm not sure. 

The last time I went camping was with family over 10 years ago... So I would probably enjoy it more nowadays, because I couldn't stand it back then (but that may be due to family)

The idea sounds appealing nowadays (though, I would probably only pitch up a tent for a night or two, a week+ doesn't appeal to me), however I do remember hating campsites with a passion (too many people, terrible showers, not being able to really have fun because of judging old people looking at you)... and I don't like the feeling of unwashed hair, so would need some way to deal with that.

Yes, but not in a tent! Or in a tent, when it's extremely dry weather. I hate the thought of being so close to the ground, because that's where the slugs are, eww. I don't mind insects, spiders and creatures like that, but if it is wet, i avoid it and prefer not even thinking about it. A hammock is much better thanks :D

I do not like camping. I mean, I do not like being outdoors. Plus, it's typically done during the worst times of the year (Summer and Spring) when it's hot, humid, sunny, and there are bugs everywhere. If I ever felt like being outdoors, it most certainly wouldn't be then.

On top of all of that, I don't feel safe camping. Plus, the bathrooms and showers are yucky and not at all like I'm used to at home. Oh god and don't even get me started on when we'd go out and walk to the bathroom after it was dark. That always scared me so much.

My parents love camping, but I have not been camping in well over a decade. Interesting how we are such polar opposites on this subject. They do have a trailer now which has its own bathroom and is more secure, so that's great for them.

My dad loved camping, and we often did "primitive" camping when I was a kid. That is, we went out into the wilds and camped wherever we could find a good spot. No bathrooms, showers, or even latrines. With only wood fires or small camping stoves for any cooking.

My mom hated it and refused to go anymore after the very early years. Because she still had to take care of small children and everything, but without all of the conveniences. She said it wasn't fun for her and just felt like being very poor. Understandable.

I used to enjoy camping with my grandpa but that stopped after he died. 

I also had a couple of teachers back in school who organised camping trips once or twice a year for the class. That was fun. But the last year was a nightmare. We had to hike miles over mountain terrain (one kid almost passed out twice and three got lost(we found them)), sleep in two military tents with no heat (I remember it was so cold we were all shaking), my classmates ditched me on an island, my glasses broke, a few of the boys almost started a wildfire and we had to canoe home everyone ended up in the freezing water at least once.

It was like a bad movie.

Haven't camped since.

• 3 months later...
Janus the Fox

Never really had a chance to go camping.  It’s unfortunately relatively unsafe having physical issues and autism.  However 20 miles north where I am is popular for Camping up in our Brecon Beacons.  The weather can make it quite the challenge outside of Summer.  The Army also train up there for extreme weather training.

a little annihilation

My dad's idea of a vacation was driving out into the middle of nowhere as far away from people as possible and then camping there. I'm completely over camping and I refuse to do it ever again because it's so fucking miserable. To all the people who have never been or think it would be fun in my opinion you are absolutely not missing anything. Thank your lucky goddamn stars if you've never been camping because I can assure you that whatever you were doing instead of camping you were more comfortable than if you had been camping. 

I enjoyed camping when I was growing up. We slept in the back of a cabbed truck and in a tent in the beginning. Then an actual camper for a while, then a cabin. We went fishing in a boat and did some hiking while on these camping trips. Sitting around a campfire eating roasted hot dogs, marshmallows and pies. Playing various yard and board games. I miss those times with my family and family friends we met to camp with. Was so long ago and 2 members of my family have passed away. I don’t think I will ever go camping again though. My mom is too old for it and it’s not something my brother’s family did and kept up. We did go to resorts in more recent years when his kids were young and he was still alive. Those were fun times too.

I hated the mosquitos, wood ticks other pesty bugs though.

• 3 weeks later...

@Blue eyes white dragon

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived